Author Topic: Bike Master cylinders  (Read 8132 times)

Offline involutecurve

Bike Master cylinders
« on: October 16, 2015, 01:31:20 PM »
I haven't posted on here for quite a while I've been busy with moving workshop and house etc, anyhow I've recently got going again with my latest bike project, which is a Centre Hub steered sports road bike, anyhow thought you might like to see these Radial Master cylinders I've made for the bike, they are machined from Aluminium 6082, 2048, and stainless for pushrods etc, I actually made the bodies when I built the last project, they worked so well I decided to use them on this one as well, I also made the rearsets as well, oh and pretty much all the other stuff..........

"Engineering: Combining art & science to create artifacts from dreams"

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
Re: Bike Master cylinders
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 06:46:13 PM »
Looks like a Tesi  :beer:

More pictures please ;-)
Bill

Offline involutecurve

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 05:24:09 AM »
Yep! it inevitably will sort of look like a Tesi, I would rather think of it as an updated Difazio, after all it was Jack who really developed this steering system in the 60's and 70's, although it had been done in a fashion in the 20's, with the Neracar, there's a link to some other pictures on my thread Ducati Belt covers.

link   http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,10379.0.html

I actually forgot Id posted that, I now wish id just posted this lot there.... :Doh:

Shaun

Offline RussellT

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 08:45:45 AM »
Hi

I just read both your bike project logs on your website.  I am immensely impressed.  Thanks for showing us.  :clap: :clap: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 09:24:05 AM »
Very nice!

I like where the build is going. You are doing some good looking work.

Quick question, what did you use as research for how your hub centered steering will work?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline involutecurve

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 01:34:33 PM »
The Hub now then there's a question, I looked on the web to see what others had done, I also looked at Jack Difazio's patents, however the drawings are not upto much and give very little detail, all the other images I could find are of completed Hubs with little or no info on the details, having said all that I decided pretty early on I wanted to do my own, its basically a kingpin setup, I decided I wanted taper roller bearings, the rest was designed around this, the main problem was making it small enough with enough steering lock, and with some steering offset, also making the kingpin bearings adjustable for preload without removing the wheel, other problems to overcome where machining the external and internal splines with the equipment to hand, I ended up designing my own splines loosely based on the Torx system, this worked very well on destructive test pieces, other major  obstacles are bump steer and anti dive levels, I used Tony Foale's suspension software for the anti dive calcs, this is set at 50% digressing, the bump steer I did by animated cad drawings, I also use this method to draw the suspension links front and back, in tests up to now on full bump I have 2 thou deflection at the bar ends, I have ridden the bike down our lane without power, brakes or handle bars!, and it steers pretty neutral, this only happened when I brought the bike to the new house, I couldn't resist, I don't claim to be breaking any new ground here, I just wanted a CHS bike, but I also wanted to see if I could do it in my home workshop, besides I could not justify the money to buy one, I still have a lot of work to do, the main parts left to make are the Rads the fuel tank and the *@*#**&* Wiring which I don't enjoy....   :)

Offline SteveT

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 04:59:09 PM »
Very nice work, it all looks well made and bullet proof   :clap:
Steven Tyrer
lives in Cardiff South Wales

Offline banjaxxed

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 04:12:28 AM »
I came across this thread by accident sine I like the homebrew engineering wotsits you find on here, also your thread on apriliaforum very impressive work Shaun

Alan

Offline involutecurve

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 07:14:16 AM »
Actually the Aprilia threads not mine, I posted on there initially to ask some questions about ECU's etc, it turns out there are two version of the Aprilia / Rotax 990 engine, Gen 1 and Gen 2, I was unaware of this when I acquired my engine, which I removed from a bike that had only covered 800 miles before the guy low sided it on a roundabout at 10 mph, :palm: apparently the bike was hardly damaged until a person of the opposite sex! came round the roundabout and ran over the bike bending the frame which wrote it off...... :clap: :clap:
Back to the point when I removed the engine I also got the harness and ECU, I could have removed the clocks but the speedo glass had a small crack in so I didn't bother,   :bang: only to find out much later that the immobiliser is built into the clocks and is married in the factory to the ECU, rendering the ECU useless!  :Doh: and costing well over £2000 to replace them, I found out I can use the early ECU with older Harness and gain power to boot........  :lol:

Offline banjaxxed

Bike Master cylinders
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 04:28:49 AM »
The GenII magnesium motor has some benefits but the stator is a huge problem for a start, even aftermarket does not help with the eventual burnout of the windings.

And yes well that wasn't your thread originally but great derailment interest was piqued :)

Offline involutecurve

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 09:51:20 AM »
The GenII magnesium motor has some benefits but the stator is a huge problem for a start, even aftermarket does not help with the eventual burnout of the windings.

And yes well that wasn't your thread originally but great derailment interest was piqued :)

You trying to cheer me up......   :)

Actually its a bit of a mute point, because in doing the conversion to earlier electronics one of the things that get replaced is the stator, this is because the pickups are in different locations on the casing, same with the front cam box, but this also requires machining of the head to get it to fit, I did this by bolting the whole motor to the milling machine, saved me removing the head and buying head gaskets, whilst the motor was fixed in the CNC mill I used my scanning probe as a CMM to scan all the important points, mountings etc. creating a point cloud of X,Y,Z, coords, this ensured when I made the billet chassis plates all these mounting lined up with some precision, its a bit time consuming but worked out very well.   :ddb:

I will be running a lithium Iron battery on this bike, (saves a lot of weight) so I will upgrade the reg / rec to a MOSFET or FET style voltage rectifier instead of sticking with a shunt style rectifier, this apparently solves a lot of the charging issues these engine's suffer, well that's the plan anyhow.

Shaun

Offline banjaxxed

Bike Master cylinders
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 11:05:26 AM »
I read that which makes a lot of sense considering you were slotting it into a one-off frame, the only other rsv-engined custom frame that I'm aware of is the cafe racer one from Taimosham
http://www.bikeexif.com/aprilia-rsv-taimoshan

Could be many more I'm just not aware of like your stealth HCS job

By the by, here is a thread posted for gen2 motors for sale in the uk pre modified to slot straight into a gen1 harness/ecu/dash, you get the dependability of gen1 stator etc with the extra power of the gen2 heads (and lightness of magnesium). Of course whatever exhaust option chosen requires the 4 stud header flange. But you know all that, maybe a good place to pick up some spares going for a good price.

The mosfet upgrade is worthwhile too, hardwire it to the harness, do not use the dreaded aprilia brown connector they melt frequently.

Ps. Have a shorai, they don't like the cold much, would probably get an earthx given the choice as balance circuit is built in those

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3840966