Author Topic: My Squaring Gauge/Indicator Stand  (Read 11058 times)

Offline sparky961

My Squaring Gauge/Indicator Stand
« on: October 18, 2015, 03:45:19 PM »
I mentioned this tool in another thread, but thought it more appropriate to start a new thread to keep things tidy.  Attached are the drawings I offered.  Do be aware that these started life as quick prints that only contained enough information for *me* to make them from the 3D model I designed on my computer.  I've added a few notes based on things I changed or critical fits while building.

The way the gauge works is that, looking from the front (where the indicator and bumper are) the knob on the left side is responsible for locking the pivot point between the rocker and the rod holder.  It works because the rocker is threaded.  The knob on the right side is responsible for locking the pivoting action of the rocker to keep everything very rigid while making critical measurements.  The knob on the top is for fine adjustment and allows rocker to pivot the rod forward and backward using spring pressure from underneath the rocker.

I finished the exterior non-critical surfaces with a belt sander for a beautiful consistent "brushed" finish.

If you've never seen/used a squaring gauge before check out this video:

Also consider the following if you're going to build this:

1. I'm planning to hollow out the base for less contact surface area or add 3 small feet for positive contact with surface plate.  No matter how much I lap and polish the bottom, I still get the smallest amount of "rocking" visible as fractions of a division on my 10ths indicator.  Yes, I am that picky. :)

2. I have yet to build an appropriate clamp for the indicator.  I plan on building one that keeps the indicator centered on the main rod and allows for smooth rough adjustment of indicator angle.  If someone wants to add to this by posting drawings for a nice clamp, that would be great.

3. The way the locking knobs are designed _does_ work, but not as well as I had hoped.  They tend to lock very positively but take a lot of effort to unlock.

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
Re: My Squaring Gauge/Indicator Stand
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 05:08:44 PM »
That's a great video showing a very simple mod to a piece of kit most of us no longer use ( The vernier height gauge has forced all the old scriber gauges into early retirement)
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline sparky961

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 05:17:30 PM »
And some pictures showing actual parts...

*** Note that the knob on the right has a more rounded end and is used for fine adjustment

(If you can't see the above images, I'm sorry.  Some have reported not being able to view images I've embedded from Google Drive but the majority report no problems.)

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 06:02:48 PM »
Thanks for sharing this,Sparky. I had already seen the video explaining the technique used with this tool earier.

I sense a bit of shaper action coming on very soon ......OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline sparky961

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 10:02:32 PM »
That's a great video showing a very simple mod to a piece of kit most of us no longer use ( The vernier height gauge has forced all the old scriber gauges into early retirement)

I've seen lots of pictures but never handled one, let alone owned one.  Woo Hoo!  I feel young again! ;)

Definitely would have modified one, had I been blessed with one sitting around collecting dust instead of going to the extent of this project.  As it stands, I'm pretty happy with the results - though it took many an evening for the little parts to come together into something usable.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 04:06:17 AM »
WOW!  :bugeye:

That's a handy, easily made weapon!

Thanks for showing. And, for showing your build, Sparky.....  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 06:04:59 AM »
I too have seen the video before and have a very nice scriber block but I've been loathe to start cutting slots in it. If anyone comes up with a mod that doesn't damage the block so much let me know!  :thumbup:

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 07:46:15 AM »
I too have seen the video before and have a very nice scriber block but I've been loathe to start cutting slots in it. If anyone comes up with a mod that doesn't damage the block so much let me know!  :thumbup:

Perhaps bonding a piece of brass angle to the front and bullnosing it would be more acceptable than cutting a slot in your block......OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 10:28:16 AM »
I notice Phil said he used "Gauge Stock" which over here is 01 tool steel so I guess some mild steel should be fine, it's only rolled over the work. Maybe I could epoxy some magnets to a piece of angle instead?

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 11:00:45 AM »
I notice Phil said he used "Gauge Stock" which over here is 01 tool steel so I guess some mild steel should be fine, it's only rolled over the work. Maybe I could epoxy some magnets to a piece of angle instead?

I wouldn't! 

I hate using, accidentally magnetised tooling........  :palm:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 01:34:19 PM »
Good point!  :thumbup:

Offline Pete.

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 04:31:55 PM »
Scribing blocks are cheap as anything to buy  - less than £15 brand new from Warco. If you look at many of them you'll see that the main rod has a ball on the end. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that this ball was for doing exactly what is shown in the video.

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 02:46:06 AM »
There is som clever and usefull witchcraft going into that piece of measuring equipment.. i see i have a weekend project ahead of me. =)
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline leg17

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 08:59:04 PM »
Something very important missing from the video.
FIRST, the two sides being inspected MUST be parallel with each other.

The preferred way to use this method is to first generate perfectly parallel top and bottom.
Then select a right angle side.
Then zero the indicator on that side and FLIP OVER (top to bottom, the original parallel surfaces) and measure that same side.
That will give you out-of-square in TIR (total indicator reading) on that measured side.

Adjust that measured side by setting up to correct it by half the TIR.
Check again.
Repeat till perfect.
Now you have three sides of a cube square and making the fourth side parallel with the side just adjusted gives four sides perfect.

Remembering which sides are finished, repeat the procedure on the other two remaining sides.
That will give a perfect cube.
Three pairs of parallel surfaces with the same indicator reading no matter which side is inspected.

You can now inspect that fancy machinist square and find out just how accurate Starrett is.
A flat surface plate is the only prerequisite.

The tool and die guy in the video missed this vitally important first step and the better way of utilizing this gage, but he is correct in encouraging you to grasp this concept.

(An interesting related topic is the generation of a flat surface from scratch, but that is for another day.  Look up the three plate method.)

Offline sparky961

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2016, 09:28:12 PM »

The preferred way to use this method is to first generate perfectly parallel top and bottom.
<... snip ...>

When I originally linked to the video, the purpose was more so show the basic concept or using the gauge to check the squareness of one angle (two adjacent surfaces) relative to a "precision" reference.  In the home shop this is probably a machinist's solid square (ok, I guess) or an angle plate (much better, if you have a good one).  Side note: absolutely do NOT use a 1-2-3 block unless you have already verified the squareness!!.

The video did mention 6 sides but failed to do much more than that.  Discussion of how to create or validate a perfect cube was quite a bit beyond the intended scope of this post but I was nonetheless following your description with great interest.  I was a bit confused though... I gather when you're talking about the first step you're envisioning a grinding operation to generate the surfaces, correct?  So what you're describing is then a combination of measuring and the process for grinding ('cause you wouldn't likely be milling to this precision) a perfect cube (or rectangular prism, as the case may be)?

Offline leg17

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 11:39:41 PM »

<... snip ...>

When I originally linked to the video, the purpose was more so show the basic concept or using the gauge to check the squareness of one angle (two adjacent surfaces) relative to a "precision" reference.

Gotcha.  I missed that comparison to an already known 'square'.
Following the steps I gave can give a perfect cube, though one can stop at any point after getting the third side square.
I was assuming, as the video did, that surface grinding would be employed.

When comparing to a known 'square', one must assume that that known square is indeed truly square.
Following the procedures that I outlined, one does not need a perfect square for reference but generates that perfection on its own.
Kind of like, "where did the first square come from?"

Incidentally, a shop-made cylindrical square can be utilized as a master if that method is preferred.
First create a straight cylinder with no taper.  Say about 2.00 dia by 6.0 long.
Face the end as true as possible with a flat or slightly concave end so the cylinder will sit on its end without any wobble.
Then set up your squareness gage and indicate various places around the cylinder, noting the extremes of the TIR.
Halfway between these extremes will be points that are 'square'.

All this is encouragement to have a good handle on how to generate perfect squareness with no known master reference.
Otherwise, your squareness is only as good as the master.

I think I saw another post by you asking how angle plates were made.
Now you have the answer.

Offline sparky961

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2016, 12:13:53 AM »
All this is encouragement to have a good handle on how to generate perfect squareness with no known master reference.

Now you have the answer.

Indeed.

Welcome to MadModder, by the way (or at least to posting if you've lurked for a while).  It looks like you will have a lot of good things to add here.

Offline leg17

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2016, 12:30:18 AM »

Now you have the answer.

Indeed.

Welcome to MadModder, by the way (or at least to posting if you've lurked for a while).  It looks like you will have a lot of good things to add here.

Thanks,  I stumbled on this site somehow.
I retired in 2014 after 50 years and 6 months as a toolmaker.  Picked up a few things along the way.