Author Topic: Which plier and kit for non-insulated spade type 6,3 mm connectors (Abico)  (Read 5281 times)

Offline PekkaNF

Hello

I pretty much hate normal colotful insulated Abico connectors. I have used non-isulated ones that you first crimp and then stick on connector body (1...may pins).

Now, I'm working on one project that needs motor run capacitors and other mains voltage stuff.

1) I think I should choose nickel plated contacts? Right? I think those brass color ones are for low voltage, like automotive ones.

2) Which is the "real" name for those abico looking contacts, I'll see them called "Spade" and generally 6.3*0.8 mm contact etc. but I'm having a hard time having a good hit rate with ecomerce.

3) How to pair correct plier with these? I have heard that there are no really good standards and generally they sort of work, but not always.

4) Is there a "kit" that has uninsulated contacts (female and male) and insulators for them? I have seen some automotive molex type, but they needed special plier, were expensive and that was not ofcourse compatible with single spade pins, like they are in start capacitors etc (no standard pin spacing to fit with a standard multipole contactor).

Thank you a lot. I have searching few UK and DE shops and sort of see what I need, but are they?

Pekka

Offline Sea.dog

• Up Spirits!
I always knew them as Lucar connectors from the name of the manufacturer.

Offline kayzed1

could always try some one like this, they have the terminals and the tools.
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/

Offline PekkaNF

Thanks.

I think I found right plier/crimp combination. I'm still wondering pin material and plating.

Brand crimp pliers are as expensive as I remembered. From cheaper ones, I have been recommended Hanlong HT-236C
http://www.tme.eu/en/details/ht-236c/crimping-tools-for-terminals/

Anybody used that one?

Pekka

Offline kayzed1

yes that is the one i use but with red handle grips, they do the job if the correct terminals are used.
I did buy some cheap terminals from (that site on line) and they were not very good at all, i now only
buy good terminals.
Lyn.

Offline PekkaNF

Thanks.

I hate the "cheap" ones too. Specially on most of the autoshops lots of the stuff is crap - an with brand prices. Tyco and Abiko are hard to find.

Where do you buy your terminals? I checked your link, but those kits didn't advertise any brand.

Pekka

Offline PekkaNF

Ok, just ordered pliers, terminals and connector bodies. Let's see how they work out together.

If someone has found reliable source for brand/quality terminals, please share.

Pekka

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Re: Which plier and kit for non-insulated spade type 6,3 mm connectors (Abico)
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 05:48:27 AM »
Pekka

Usually get mine from here:

http://cpc.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?catalogId=15002&langId=69&storeId=10180&categoryId=700000007237&pageSize=25&beginIndex=1&showResults=true&pf=110338670

No complaints. I believe they do export but cannot be ordered via net for other than UK. ?

Dave
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.