Author Topic: ER32 Collet Fixture  (Read 9434 times)

Offline sparky961

ER32 Collet Fixture
« on: October 31, 2015, 02:46:40 PM »
This design is an offshoot from the idea I had a while back for an ER32 collet block.  This one has been designed primarily to solve a long-standing issue with the length of time it takes to mount my 3-jaw chuck on my rotary table.  The difficulty in mounting is because they're roughly the same diameter and the chuck has no through mounting holes.  I have a plate that goes between but it takes way too long to set up and I've always avoided using it.

So, attaching the new collet fixture is FAST.  It uses 4 bolts and T-nuts in the provided slots.  The interesting hole pattern is due to my annoying need to make everything fit everything else.  It allows a 4-bolt circle and a 3-bolt circle (top, lower-left, lower-right) and the other two holes (upper-right, upper-left) are for balancing, should I ever want to bolt this to something that rotates quickly.

I wanted to keep it as low-profile as possible, as this was another issue I had with the 3-jaw mounted on the rotary table.  It would almost fall on it's nose with all that overhanging weight.

There's no reason this couldn't be bolted directly to the table if I ever saw the need.  Though the plan is to leave it attached to the rotary table for most of its life.

The recess in the back was an afterthought.  I was thinking about the way 5C collets have integral threads for a collet stop.  This led to building in the ability to mount a plate in the recess (no threaded holes in the body for this yet) that would act as, or accept various designs of stops.

From model to product, there are only a few hours of computer and machine time.  The turning and threading were all done on "my" CNC lathe at work.  It started out as a chunk of 4-1/2" round 4140 HT steel.  This is beautiful stuff to work with when you have the right tools.  Crisp threads and surface finishes of RSW grade (Madmodder running joke) are almost guaranteed.

Offline tom osselton

Re: ER32 Collet Fixture
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 03:30:33 PM »
Well done it looks like it will be quite handy.

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 03:18:56 AM »
 :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Dave    :beer:

RobWilson

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 01:32:24 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: very nice  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline SteveT

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 04:22:42 PM »
A good accessory to have well done, I think I need to make one
Steven Tyrer
lives in Cardiff South Wales

Offline krv3000

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 05:43:57 PM »
good job as got that on me to do list

Offline sparky961

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 06:22:13 PM »
Thanks for all your praise.  If I had access to an ID grinder, I might even consider making up a batch of them for sale.  That's not likely to happen any time soon though.

Offline Andrew Wildman

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 03:53:08 PM »
Very shiny! Perfect for a magpie like me :D

Offline 75Plus

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 12:41:39 PM »
Found a similar item, already made, at H&H Industrial Products. Got one for ER32 collets and mounted it on a D1-4 adapter to use on my 12 X 36 lathe. A second one will be for the RT. Have a look.

http://www.hhip.com/skin/frontend/hhip/default/images/catalog/number_23/number23.html#p=151

Joe

Offline sparky961

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 02:22:04 PM »
Found a similar item, already made, at H&H Industrial Products. Got one for ER32 collets and mounted it on a D1-4 adapter to use on my 12 X 36 lathe. A second one will be for the RT. Have a look.

http://www.hhip.com/skin/frontend/hhip/default/images/catalog/number_23/number23.html#p=151

Joe

Good find, Joe.  But..... I think mine's shinier. :P  Besides, with the low Canadian dollar I'd have to remortgage my house to bring that in from the your side of the fence.

Ironically I haven't yet had the opportunity to use mine.  Soon.  I'm working on it.

A nice option for those who don't have access to big CNC.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 09:31:49 PM »
That's a fine looking piece of work. Very professional.

If you were making them, I would buy one.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 05:46:17 PM »
 :bow: Very impressive. Have to look at that concept.

The ER32 chucks can be bought with a small backplate attached, cos I've not got a CNC to play with( bank manager says NO!) :(

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 04:46:51 AM »

If you were making them, I would buy one.

Eric

ER32 Lathe chucks are cheap to buy, just turn the outer diameter down to what you want and add extra holes if you need them.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 12:01:08 PM »