Author Topic: Simple little lathe mod.  (Read 7729 times)

Offline websterz

Simple little lathe mod.
« on: April 29, 2009, 10:22:27 PM »
While I was waiting for the mail today I snapped a pic of a little lathe mod I did a few days ago. Nothing fancy but it really makes the machine more pleasant to use:

This little extension moves the cross slide handle out about an inch and a quarter from the original position. It is nothing more than a piece of brass bored to fit on the feedscrew, and turned for a light press fit on the other end for the handle. It took me about 10 minutes to make. I ran a 1/4-20 tap into the end of the feedscrew since I didn't have a long enough metric screw on hand. I also turned the head on the replacement capscrew down so there's a bit more knuckle clearance. A small little change but a really big difference!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 11:57:02 PM by websterz »
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Simple little lathe mod.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 01:05:09 AM »
Well done  :clap: these little mods make all the difference,

Do  I see a saddle stop lurking underneath there ?

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline websterz

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 08:09:08 AM »
Well done  :clap: these little mods make all the difference,

Do  I see a saddle stop lurking underneath there ?

Stew

Someone has been eating their carrots I see!   :clap:   My original plan was to use it as an extension for a permanently mounted dial indicator. I have since found a design for a camlock indicator mount (I just LOVE cams!!) that I like better. Since the slidy bit is already on there I do indeed have plans to use it for an adjustable stop.

You guys don't miss a beat!  :nrocks:
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 09:14:10 AM »
Hey Todd

Thanks for the post - please keep them coming. I have the exact same lathe and a total noob so seeing all your mods and accessories, the possibilities you show with this lathe really interests me. Did you make your saddle lock and if so, do you have any pics or plans? Do you also have a carrage stop?

Any more mods, please do post with pics if possible.

My simple little mod, as discussed when I visited john (Bogs) a few nights ago, is to attach a digitial read out bar some where on the cross slide and one on the compound slide for more accurate mesaurments especially for my aims of accurate screw cutting. Also, what tool post have you got on this lathe?

Sorry, questions, questions, questions....

Chris

Offline websterz

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 09:59:52 AM »
I made my carriage lock from plans I got on mini-lathe.com  They are in the Premium Content section which costs $25 for a subscription to all the content there. Personally I feel it was worth the price. You can purchase access to plans for individual mods for a few bucks a pop. I would share the plans with you but they are copyrighted and it wouldn't be fair to share them. Sorry.

I have not made a carriage stop yet but I am planning to make an adjustable trip lever that will disengage the half-nut...so many mods so little daylight. The brass rod you see in my handle extension pic will play a part in that one. :doh:

As for the toolpost I had built one from mini-lathe.com plans and it worked great. I set it aside, along with the compound, because right now I am doing a lot of parting cuts and I need maximum rigidity. I use a solid plinth mounted straight to the top of the crossfeed. I have made individual tool holders for my turning/facing and parting tools that bolt directly onto the plinth. I will get some closeup pics for you later today.

Currently I am focusing on mods to my mill but there will be other lathe projects coming soon. I have a design in mind for a taper attachment and will also be making a lever fixture for the tailstock so I can peck drill without having to crank the handle back and forth. I will be sure to include lots of pics!  :proj:

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 02:11:10 PM »
Cheers, Todd.

Will consider membership to mini-lathe.com when I have a little free cash.

Please post more pics and keep is informed on further mods.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 02:14:27 PM »
I can't access minilathe.com, never have been able to and I've no idea why  :scratch:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)