Author Topic: Keyless chuck repair  (Read 2637 times)

Offline RussellT

Keyless chuck repair
« on: November 27, 2015, 08:07:20 AM »
This started out as an attempt to repair a keyless chuck but somewhere along the line it has turned into an autopsy.

Some time ago I fished a power drill out of a bin.  It looked OK and when I plugged it in seemed to work perfectly - so I tried drilling a hole with it and discovered it had been dumped because the chuck didn't grip.

I cleaned the chuck as best I could with no improvement and then left it until today when I decided to take it to bits.

The outside all looked a bit fragile for gripping it in the vice so I screwed a 1/2 bolt into the back of the chuck and holding the rear section of the chuck whacked it on a hard surface a few times.  It definitely moved so I held the rear section of the chuck in one hand and hit the bolt with a hammer and it came apart quite easily.  I then opened the jaws and set it in the vice on the edges of the front section and using a drift inside the body knocked the body out the front section.  The split nut and bearing came off easily and the front cap could be levered off with a screwdriver.

Here are all the bits.

Examination showed that the bearing race was far from smooth and clearly wouldn't allow you to tighten the chuck.

Here's a close up - which actually seems to make it look better than in real life.

The other side of the bearing (the back of the split nut) looks fine.

I thought about making a new one but I don't have any hardenable steel the right size and I think mild steel would quickly suffer the same fate as this one.

I think from this that if you have a hammer drill with a keyless chuck then the bit should be in contact with the back of the chuck to avoid the hammer action going through the bearings.

I've ordered a cheap keyed chuck off ebay.

Russell

Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Keyless chuck repair
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 08:12:33 AM »
That bearing surface is due to the drills hammer action I reckon
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex