Author Topic: Digital oscilloscope project/kit  (Read 172772 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: Digital oscilloscope project/kit
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2015, 07:26:16 PM »
. Rob, have you looked at the Mikroelectronica stuff? - their easyPic 6 board got me flying with some proper pic coding in C. Well worth a look at if you have some spare cash and admittedly it isn't the cheapest.

Hi Chris

I was just looking  at that very  board last week ,I was thinking I  may order one in the new year , so you reckon they are  good value  ?  what are  the training manuals like ?   

All the best ,Rob

Hi Rob, slow reply it's been a busy few days. My house is fine but we have had flooding today so been out helping and taking random videos. The local old vacant pub collapsed into the river and I took a video of that that made the BBC news. Then got a call to say grandparents house was flooding so ran to there.... None stop.

Anyway, I posted this video in 2010.'im sure there is a new board now but I expect the principle to be the same. Board and manual are fantastic but hardcore... It isn't for the faint hearted but basically it is real programming and the board has everything you want on it. I used to for a lot of fun projects but I also built a power feed stepper motor controlled for my old milling machine with it.

I'm absolutely no expert and I'm sure others will chime in and correct me but to me, the biggest thing is that it is a true development board. It has EVERYTHING on it you can think of, already wired up, you just select it and code it. It is expensive in that I also used their compiler and programming suit, MikroC : http://www.mikroe.com/mikroc/pic/.   I THINK you have no option but to use their software as well but I could be wrong. There are hundreds of demo code and I often copied a demo code and worked my own code from this, it May be worth taking a look around see if you can get the software at a reasonable price before you buy the board. Again, it's coding in C and you have to setup the Pic where as that has been done for you with arduino. It is harder to use but I enjoyed it. Another thing I found is that arduino is so cheap that you'd code it, and then I'd literally use the arduino inside the project itself. So like the penny pusher I made my daughter had two arduino in there, as part of the machine. Of course  with the easyPic Deb board, you practice and develop on the board and then programme the PIC and then have to make your own circuit for the chip from scratch for your device. Again, more to it but I found it rewarding. It's all a lot more involved than the arduino stuff.

This is the review/video of did of the easyPic 6 back 5 years ago in 2010:

Offline RussellT

« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2015, 05:53:50 AM »
 The software is quite expensive if you want the full version, but the free version gives you quite a lot of scope - it has a limit on the size of the program.  It's also available in different flavours, C, basic and pascal.

Russell

Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

RobWilson

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2015, 07:40:03 AM »
Hi again.
I just ordered one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMT-SMD-Component-Welding-Practice-PCB-Board-Soldering-DIY-Kits-I1-/181941791530?hash=item2a5c936b2a:g:ZQcAAOSwcBhWVSo3

I thought I should get some practice in before I attempt the kits.

you can't go wrong at this price.

I love the way all these places call it "welding", think I should get the welder out, what do you reckon 80 amps? :zap: :zap: :zap:

cheers

Roy.

Hi Roy

Wize move getting a wee bit of practice in before moving onto the real project , I noticed Banggood do those practice SMD boards , I may send off for some practice boards to .

Are you going to get an SMD rework station ?    those cheap ones seam popular .

What so I dont TIG the components to the board  :lol: :lol:

Cheers Rob

RobWilson

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2015, 07:50:21 AM »
. Rob, have you looked at the Mikroelectronica stuff? - their easyPic 6 board got me flying with some proper pic coding in C. Well worth a look at if you have some spare cash and admittedly it isn't the cheapest.

Hi Chris

I was just looking  at that very  board last week ,I was thinking I  may order one in the new year , so you reckon they are  good value  ?  what are  the training manuals like ?   

All the best ,Rob

Hi Rob, slow reply it's been a busy few days. My house is fine but we have had flooding today so been out helping and taking random videos. The local old vacant pub collapsed into the river and I took a video of that that made the BBC news. Then got a call to say grandparents house was flooding so ran to there.... None stop.

Anyway, I posted this video in 2010.'im sure there is a new board now but I expect the principle to be the same. Board and manual are fantastic but hardcore... It isn't for the faint hearted but basically it is real programming and the board has everything you want on it. I used to for a lot of fun projects but I also built a power feed stepper motor controlled for my old milling machine with it.

I'm absolutely no expert and I'm sure others will chime in and correct me but to me, the biggest thing is that it is a true development board. It has EVERYTHING on it you can think of, already wired up, you just select it and code it. It is expensive in that I also used their compiler and programming suit, MikroC : http://www.mikroe.com/mikroc/pic/.   I THINK you have no option but to use their software as well but I could be wrong. There are hundreds of demo code and I often copied a demo code and worked my own code from this, it May be worth taking a look around see if you can get the software at a reasonable price before you buy the board. Again, it's coding in C and you have to setup the Pic where as that has been done for you with arduino. It is harder to use but I enjoyed it. Another thing I found is that arduino is so cheap that you'd code it, and then I'd literally use the arduino inside the project itself. So like the penny pusher I made my daughter had two arduino in there, as part of the machine. Of course  with the easyPic Deb board, you practice and develop on the board and then programme the PIC and then have to make your own circuit for the chip from scratch for your device. Again, more to it but I found it rewarding. It's all a lot more involved than the arduino stuff.

This is the review/video of did of the easyPic 6 back 5 years ago in 2010:

Hi Chris

So pleased to hear your safe from the flooding , York is a real mess .

Yes the new board is the EasyPIVv7   , looks a bit different to your board . As you say they cover most bases with whats on the board and the plugin modules .

There are just so many options to go at nowadays ,Arduino, Raspberry Pi , PIC  etc   and everything seams to use a different language .  :palm:

Cheers Rob   

RobWilson

« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2015, 07:53:01 AM »
The software is quite expensive if you want the full version, but the free version gives you quite a lot of scope - it has a limit on the size of the program.  It's also available in different flavours, C, basic and pascal.

Russell

Hi Russell

Cheers for the input , more to think about . decisions decisions .

Rob 

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2015, 07:58:19 AM »
So pleased to hear your safe from the flooding , York is a real mess .

We have been watching few days the news, that rain/flood looks pretty bad. They interviewed some people and I was impressed in how well people seem to take such a natural disastre.

Pekka

Offline wheeltapper

• Spixworth Norfolk
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2015, 09:32:40 AM »
( snip)

Hi Roy

Wize move getting a wee bit of practice in before moving onto the real project , I noticed Banggood do those practice SMD boards , I may send off for some practice boards to .

Are you going to get an SMD rework station ?    those cheap ones seam popular .

I already have a hot air paint stripper, will that do. :D :D :D :D

What so I dont TIG the components to the board  :lol: :lol:

I only have a stick welder so perhaps I should dial the current down a bit. :) :) :)

Cheers Rob
[/quote]

Roy.
I used to be confused, now I just don't know.

RobWilson

« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2015, 11:11:07 AM »
 :lol: :lol:  :thumbup:

Rob

Offline wheeltapper

• Spixworth Norfolk
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2015, 06:21:56 AM »
Hi Rob,
I just received another kit for xmas, the component tester.
I must be a sucker for punishment  :bang:

I must say, the assembly instructions are underwhelming to say the least.
most of it seems clear enough, did you have any problems assembling yours?

cheers

Roy.

EDIT.

I just found an online pdf instruction sheet, it's in chinglish but meh.

Roy.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 09:14:14 AM by wheeltapper »

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2015, 11:21:41 AM »

cheers

Roy.

Make sure you use a big enough iron with a decent tip but dont overheat the components...... :lol:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Joules

« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2015, 11:36:45 AM »
Still not enough, for these bloody heatsinks...
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

RobWilson

« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2015, 01:00:55 PM »
Hi Rob,
I just received another kit for xmas, the component tester.
I must be a sucker for punishment  :bang:

cheers

Roy.

EDIT.

I just found an online pdf instruction sheet, it's in chinglish but meh.

Roy.

Hi Roy

:lol: :lol: :lol: aye there not the best instructions , mine went together with only two problems   :zap:   , first was a faulty battery lead ,so I had to replace that , and the second was down to me

not being able to find the on/off switch  :palm:  ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you have to press the rotary encoder  :bang:

My function generator kit arrived today ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it needs a +12 -12 and 5v power supply to run it  :zap:

Cheers Rob

PS John ,Joules I  have some 6.3mm carbon arc rods    :lol:

Offline wheeltapper

• Spixworth Norfolk
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2015, 01:32:44 PM »

cheers

Roy.

Make sure you use a big enough iron with a decent tip but dont overheat the components...... :lol:

no worries there I have a soldering station that goes from 200 to 480 C with a selection of tips. also some 0.46 dia solder.

Roy,

Offline wheeltapper

• Spixworth Norfolk
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2015, 01:48:08 PM »
Hi Rob
which kit did you get, it sounds a bit fussy needing various voltages.
do you have a power supply in mind?  I know computer power supplies give +12 and +5, I don't know about -12 tho.

thanks for the heads up on the battery connector, I'll test mine first, I've ordered the case for it as well but it hasn't arrived yet.

Roy.

RobWilson

« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2015, 02:13:08 PM »
Hi Rob
which kit did you get, it sounds a bit fussy needing various voltages.
do you have a power supply in mind?  I know computer power supplies give +12 and +5, I don't know about -12 tho.

thanks for the heads up on the battery connector, I'll test mine first, I've ordered the case for it as well but it hasn't arrived yet.

Roy.

Hi Roy

Cheers for tip about  the computer power supply  :thumbup:

You going all up market on us and getting the case   :clap: :clap:

There is a wee circuit diagram for a power supply in the instructions , so now I have the fun of learning about voltage regulators and the likes , just another project  :zap:

Maybe I should  take more notice of what I am actually purchasing , ,,,,,,,,,,,narh I like the letter box Russian roulette      :lol:

Rob

PS   Cheers for the  tip about  the computer power supply  :thumbup:

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2015, 02:48:27 PM »
Many of the older style at power supplies had -12v for the genuine serial rs232 ports..... If you come across summat that might be useful, check the label on it...

I think modern day psus dont cater because of usb.......

A suitable supply can be made from a 9v ac transformer, 2 diodes, a couple or three capacitors and a 7805 regulator.....for starters...

Shout up if any help needed... :zap: I'll try and find someone who knows about this stuff... :lol: :lol:

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2015, 02:53:51 PM »
I think i have a spare 300w unit in the shed Rob. Ow! and an adapter to link to it to give the screw conector thingy's. I made a couple for mates a while back.
Lyn.

RobWilson

« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2015, 03:21:55 PM »
Cheers For the offer Lyn  :beer: I may take you up on it   :thumbup:

Thanks for the link to ,interesting and helpful . I think you can now get a breakout board for computer PSU's

I have attached the PSU  circuit drawing ( re done by my very own hand )  that came with the function generator .

Cheers Rob

EDIT  corrected PSU circuit diagram 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 12:30:43 PM by RobWilson »

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2015, 04:47:22 PM »
Tis the second board io have on these, if you want it PM me your address...
Lyn.

RobWilson

« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2015, 12:17:12 PM »
The Signal generator project arrived from Banggood yesterday , so I welded all the bits together today  :zap:

Cant test it until I build a power supply for it  :coffee: , also the PSU circuit diagram I posted earlier has a couple of faults  :Doh:

#1   the supply needs to be more like +18 - 18 volts   as a 12 regulator needs more than 12 volts

#2  the  -12 rail needs a 7912 voltage regulator not a 7812  ,the  7912 is a -12v  reg   .

Cheers Rob   

RobWilson

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2015, 12:33:21 PM »
Going to cobble together something like this  :zap: :zap:

Rob  :coffee:

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2015, 12:43:57 PM »
Rob,
Nicely assembled...  :clap:   Looks pretty neat and tidy....Hope it works for you..... :zap:

Just be aware that the pin outs for 78 and 79 v regs are different.......
The + 12v reg may need a heatsink on it too as its supplying  current for the 9 & 5 v regs....

RobWilson

« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2015, 01:03:24 PM »
Rob,
Nicely assembled...  :clap:   Looks pretty neat and tidy....Hope it works for you..... :zap:

Just be aware that the pin outs for 78 and 79 v regs are different.......
The + 12v reg may need a heatsink on it too as its supplying  current for the 9 & 5 v regs....

Cheers John , if you see the northern lights tis just me going up in smoke  :lol:

The reg pinout got me on the simulation ,,,,,,,,,,was wondering why I was getting -18v  when it should have been -12 v ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,had the 7912 wired wrong  :palm:

I have ordered heatsinks for all the regs  :thumbup:

anything else you or anyone could recommend to improve things   ?    :wave:

Cheers Rob