Author Topic: Early Christmas present : forge and brazing hearth  (Read 2750 times)

Offline Andrew Wildman

Early Christmas present : forge and brazing hearth
« on: December 05, 2015, 01:43:10 PM »
I picked up my (early) Christmas present today, a HME gas forge and brazing hearth. 

This is a 240v unit that has been adjusted to run on propane. I think that I will mainly use it for brazing and heat treatment but I may get the taste for whacking hot metal!  I don't have a gas bottle for it yet but hopefully this week I will get one.  These and the flamefast hearths come up very regularly on ebay and don't seem to go for much money.  They are probably not as good as a coke forge for proper blacksmithing but they are a lot cleaner and you can use the torch for general workshop heating applications.  Imagine this rotated 90 degrees....

Anybody have experience running one of these or the flamefast alternative?

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
Re: Early Christmas present : forge and brazing hearth
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 02:38:38 PM »
Andrew, both the HME forge/brazing hearth and the Flamefast units are  a pretty much standard piece of technology workshop equipment in schools, ive used both makes numerous  times,yes they are ok but i always thought there was more flame than heat it was if the air/gas mix wasnt right. and that was the same with every one i used. i never used one on propane only natural gas. I did like the ceramic chip forges a no mess no fuss very usable unit, used to have to check them before lighting because the kids ( little darlings) liked to bury flammable items under them ready for the unwary or green teacher. interested to hear your findinga when its a runner,

John