Author Topic: HOME MADE LATHE QCTP  (Read 24571 times)

Offline GRIFFIN

HOME MADE LATHE QCTP
« on: December 08, 2015, 12:21:11 PM »
It would seem that like myself, most people aspire towards a QCTP as opposed to the 4 poster that comes as standard with our machines.

For my little wm180 I bought an Indian one, Soba I think, however when it came to my Warco GH520 with its 5 inch centre hight, I decided that something a little heavier was called for. After spending a few weeks looking round to see what was available both on ebay and in various web based shops, I started getting feeds to youtube videos showing how to make your own. Most of them were complicated double headed devices that were far beyond my ability and the ones to buy were quite expensive.

I decided the best thing to do was to design and build my own by adapting various ideas to fit my lathe and my needs. The first step was to decide on tool size and as I already had 16mm tools from the four poster that came with the machine, I thought I'd stick with that. Then I looked at a compromise of what sizes were popular for the body and tool holders and what size of stock was available at my local metal supermarket. I decided to make the main body from 70mm x 70mm  by 60mm mild steel and got a big lump of 50 X 50 to cut into 70mm lengths for the tool holders. Once I had the sizes I drew the rough plans on my computer and converted it into a pdf. I then discovered a  tool post simillar to mine, incorporating 60 degree dovetails, that was free of copyright on an educational website so used the drawings from that to make the tool holders.

I did most of the work on my AXMINSTER ZX30M MILL DRILL and the turning on my WM520 Lathe over a period of a few weeks but I'm well pleased with the results and it's as good as any I could have bought but at a fraction of the cost.

I've attached some photos of the finished Items but if anyone wants pdf plans I'd be hapy to post/email them, just ask.

Cheers, Griff.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 12:59:50 PM by GRIFFIN »

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Re: HOME MADE LATHE QCTP
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 12:51:39 PM »
Nice work Griff! I particularly like the way you've done your depth stop; in hindsight, I wish I'd made mine more like that, I went with a knurled "washer" on a stud with a locknut above it, I've found it's all too easy to accidentally adjust the height when you didn't mean to with mine; and when I managed to have a tool crash, it actually moved the toolholder on the QCTP & bent the threaded bar.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline krv3000

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 02:47:46 PM »
brill job

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 03:23:26 PM »
A nice looing job there Griff well done  :clap: :clap: No need to follow every other design pick the bits you lke and' Mod' your own.

John

Offline GRIFFIN

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 04:24:12 PM »
Thanks,

To be honest I wasn't sure the depth stop adjusting screw would stay put and was thinking of devising some kind of a knurled locking collar but none of them have moved and I could just as easily use a drop of non permanent thread locking compound in order to add a little friction.

Cheers, Griff.

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 04:27:02 PM »
Great job Griff....  simple and practical... I hope it serves you well sir..

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 05:56:14 PM »
Nice job Griff, more tool holders needed :clap:

Offline bp

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 08:53:11 PM »
Nice job!!
Although I made a different type of QCTP, on mine there is a set screw (same as yours) with a simple hex nut as a locknut for the height adjustment, works well.  Attached, hopefully is a photo to show what I'm on about............
Well done!!
cheers
Bill

Offline sparky961

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 08:58:47 PM »
That looks like a nice solid design that isn't overly complex. I'd be interested in a drawing you were offering...

Same name as on here but at g mail. Let's see the spam bots pick that one up!

Offline catceefer

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 02:35:30 AM »
Griffin. That looks nice and very solid. I have just finished something vaguely similar, but more akin to Bill's. On mine, I need to replace the long height adjusting screw with a shorter Allen bolt.

James

Offline tomrux

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 04:15:21 AM »
me with the drawings please

tw.ruxton2(at)bigpond.com

Cheers
Tom R

Offline SteveT

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 05:14:11 AM »
Looks a well made bit of kit well done
Steven Tyrer
lives in Cardiff South Wales

Offline GRIFFIN

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 05:20:32 PM »
Yeah Jonny, Got a couple more feet of 2 x 2 square bar ready to make more holders but the six I have will do until I get into the new year. Got a bit of a backlog of work to get through at the minute.

I like the round centre post clamping type QCTP and almost chose that kind of design for mine James & Bill, but wasn't sure they'd be heavy duty enough for my WM520 lathe.

Cheers, Griff.

Offline GBru

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 06:44:08 PM »
Nice bit of machining you've done there Griffin!
I am curious to know, what the ball bearing rod is used for in 1 of your holders?

G

Offline GRIFFIN

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 07:12:00 PM »
Hi G

It's for truing up your work on the lathe in a three jaw chuck before fully tightening the jaws.

Got the idea from John on you tube Sunday night night cap, I think he's double boost on this forum. Find him on you tube and you'll see how simple and clever it is to use.

I just turned the ends of some round mild steel bar down and fixed the bearings in place with lock tight, after milling a flat in order to clamp it into the tool holder.

I'll post a photo as soon as I get chance to get the camera out.

Cheers, Griff.

Offline GBru

HOME MADE LATHE QCTP
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 09:07:22 AM »
That is a handy little tool.  Gonna have to make me one of those Griff!  Thanks for the information.

G

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 10:25:42 AM »
I think the idea originally came from John Moore?

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 10:57:05 AM »
It would seem that like myself, most people aspire towards a QCTP.

No, not really. Like many model engineers I only have a modest 8x14 Lathe and a QCTP would only compromise the limited rigidity further.

We had proper Dickson QCTP on the half a dozen Harrison M300's where I used to work and they worked very well but they were made from hardened and ground good quality steel.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/latheparts/page13.html

They weren't really needed in the end though as they switched from HSS to insert tooling.

I've permanently fixed spacers/shims to some of my tooling so they're always on centre just clamped in the four way.

Nothing wrong with making your own tooling though if that's what you want to do, it's very satisfying. Just be aware of any limitations in design or materials.  :thumbup:

Offline velocette

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 12:21:32 PM »
 :Hi Griff
Very nicely done job very on pleasing on the eye and very functional tooling.
Be aware that the little buggers will  breed and populate your workshop with variations to fit all manner of lathe tools.
At last count along the shelf was was 28 so now we have strict family planing in place and any more additions have to be able to complete a function that is not able to be completed by older siblings.
To all Modders for home shop work you do not need to have hardened steel for this job as I doubt if even after years of home use that there will be any significant wear.
Any addition to the family a photo or two will be welcome thanks Griff

Eric

Offline Jonny

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 06:06:51 PM »
Had a Dickson T2 with current M300 felt It was on the small side. Just one holder and didn't like the price considering how many I would need just to get by. Even quick off the mark s/h looking £40 to £80 ea rising. That said chalk and cheese compared to the 250/200 Series (BXA) which flex and are not repeatable having had 5.
Sold Dickson and holder and bought 5 250/201 and 202? holders, then bought 3 complete 250/200 toolposts just for the holders of any use, only got 19 approx. £400 need a lot more. Dickson costs would exceed £1k s/h.

Sounds like the machines were only used for one operation or task dependant upon cutter Arbalist.

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2015, 01:46:57 PM »
Dickson's are not only well made from quality materials but they are a well designed product proven in industry. The Tool holder is pulled into the tool post when they are locked and turning adds additional pressure. The OP's design appears to push the tool holder away from the bulk of the post when you lock it. Tool pressure is then opposed by the locking mechanism, not a good idea. You should have looked at Bison Jon, fully compatible with Dickson but at a more affordable price for small outfits on a tight budget.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2015, 12:36:44 PM »
I use two Bison chucks pretty good, ones 19 years old the other 15.

Knew there was some knock off Dickson around 3 or 4 years ago but already had above tool posts and tool holders.

Just had a look at the Bison £281.75 plus tool holders £76.25 each = £2012.25. BXA knocked me £430 19 holders and 5 tool posts, gave three away.

Offline GRIFFIN

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2015, 06:46:11 PM »
Hi all,

In fairness I'd have to agree that there is probably no comparison between my self designed, home made QCTP and one of the aforementioned monsters costing hundreds or even thousands of pounds for a tool post and handful of holders. However I think the materials cost me about 45 quid, I used tooling I already owned and had a whole hell of a lot of fun drawing and making my own. Now at least when I want to change tools it doesn't take me ten minutes to find or make spacers and shims just to get on centre.

I didn't throw away my four poster either, so if rigidity is ever a problem with my sub standard home made QCTP (which I must say, "it never has been") I can always use the old one.

Joking aside though, I'm proud to have made my own rather than having bought one, no matter what the cost and if everyone just went out and bought stuff off the shelf, Mad Modder wouldn't exist, would it?

Cheers, Griff.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 07:20:48 PM by GRIFFIN »

Offline sparky961

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2015, 08:14:39 PM »
Good attitude!

Offline modeng200023

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2015, 01:49:30 AM »
Thanks for sending the drawings Griff, a very practical design.

John