Author Topic: Cnc minimill  (Read 22128 times)

Offline mattinker

Re: Cnc minimill
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2016, 11:57:04 AM »
Cut down a drill bit from both ends ie cut the chuck end and the cutting end an resharpen. Mount the bit in a collet chuck.

Regards, Matthew.

Offline chipenter

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2016, 01:46:04 PM »
2.5 mm for 3mm screws and 3.2 clearance  it lined up nicely , I need to raise the roof to get full travel on the mill , I was a carpenter for 50 years should still remember how to do one, a dormer will raise it by 400mm a job for the summer .
Jeff

Offline chipenter

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2016, 02:36:16 PM »
The belt was a complete falure it came apart before I could get it on the pullys , ordered two NFX525 from the local bearing shop and got NFX52 about 900mm short , reordered hopfully the right ones this time , changed the bearings on the X carridge and fitted the stop switches for the Y caridge , had to modify the scale on the X to get full travel because of the new bearing set up .
Jeff

Offline chipenter

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2016, 10:48:42 AM »
It's taken a while to get belts for the Z axis the supplier failed to supply after some arguments and failing to get my money back , I went for a pair of MXL belts from China more delay , fitted the belts but the Z felt stiff so made hand knobs and will put an index line in case of droped steps , I also bought a Mac3 board and driver to try .
Jeff

Offline chipenter

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2016, 08:41:34 AM »
Now I have the belts on laveled the bed and fitted stop swithes , had to fit a micro micro switch for the top of the Z because of the clearance , I will cut up a bear can to make cable clips to route the wiring and connect to the board .
Jeff

Offline chipenter

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2016, 03:39:31 PM »
Got the end stops wired to the board and as tidy as it is going get , the Z gets realy tight at the bottom of the travel so it's apart again to fix that .
Jeff

Offline chipenter

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2017, 06:55:28 AM »
It's been a while this project has gone though a lot of changes and delays, fried the board changing stepper connections with power still on , stepper motors changed for more powerfull ones ,and made larger pullys  witch needed longer belts , went for LCD screen with the new ramps board , more learning screen only works with Marlin 3d printer software , got it sort of workin will print from SD but steppers just squeel moving axis using the screen , havent found the right feed jerk and alseleration yet .
Jeff

Offline chipenter

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2017, 08:38:43 AM »
It's alive sort of it wont do rapid moves G0 G28 or G92 , keep changing the setting but onlt does slow .
Jeff

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2017, 10:07:11 AM »
I'm impressed with all the hard work that you've put into this, chipenter, good to see that you've got it working.  :thumbup: I really hope that you can iron out the remaining bugs -- I think you will.  :beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline chipenter

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2017, 02:28:37 PM »
It's dead fried the power supply so on hold until I can get another .
Jeff

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2017, 03:04:17 PM »
Bad luck - and it was coming along so nicely !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline chipenter

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2017, 07:11:38 AM »
I have found a pre atx power suppy but has les power than the one I fried , can't use it for the spindle as well as the board so only temperary , spent a frustrating amount of time on the forth axis both soft and hardware , got it to turn with a temperary risistor arangment crocodile clips and leads .
Jeff

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2017, 10:03:43 AM »
Persistence pays off! :thumbup:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline chipenter

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2017, 10:33:02 AM »
Succes it made its first part today , an indexing dial for my mill .
Jeff

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2017, 10:41:13 AM »
Very nice Jeff  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline chipenter

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2017, 09:53:32 AM »
I have changed the stepper driver for the Z axis for a 3.5 amp one , set at 2.5 amps has enugh power to dive the Z without dropping steps at last , also bought and fitted a speed controle for the spindle , and a shelf on the power supply for the screen , had to fit a fan over the board as it was overheating a dropping steps ( themal overload ) .
Jeff

Offline chipenter

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2017, 03:35:15 PM »
At long last I have solved the issue of the negative movements not working , Marlin is made up from over 120 small programs , and it has taken me weeks to find " enable sofware endstops " once I got rid of them the maching worked as it should , but I havent found a way to set the speed of fast moves from the screen , I ran a program to cut a small clock dial and had a bo bo , no feed speed on the first line and the stepper just howled with no movement , this was a clearence move processor thinks its moved up 3mm next line puts a cut of 1.5mm on , results in a 4.5mm cut lots of dust but it cut well no droped steps so I let it run , just as well I was using 10mm MDF for the test .
Jeff

Offline chipenter

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2017, 03:23:56 AM »
Found another setting , #define ENDSTOPS_ONLY_FOR_HOMING // If defined the endstops will only be used for homing , why risk damage by having this set as default ? having disabled this the print will stop and a message will say press to continue or reset to abort iff an endstop is hit .
Jeff

Offline chipenter

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2017, 02:28:34 PM »
I have found the speed controle for the screen  , it was listed as ( 50*60 50*60 40*60 60 ) witch is 3000mm per minet if I changed the 60 this was ignored , finished with 1*60 or 60mm per minet I now no longer need my laptop to set up . :thumbup:
Jeff

Offline chipenter

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2017, 06:08:40 AM »
 This morning I broke the tip of a BS1 centre drill before I threw it in the bin , I looked and saw it had some rake on the futes , ground it in my engraveg relife tool and a test cut on cast brass plumbig fitting worked , nice clean lines apart from its not in the centre I am pleased with the result .
Jeff