Author Topic: iPhone 6 Quick Fix  (Read 6843 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
iPhone 6 Quick Fix
« on: January 14, 2016, 04:34:58 PM »
Had an iPhone 6 for about 18 months, but ever since I got it, it was very temperamental about it's charging lead. Sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldn't. Well I suspect that the original Apple lead had probably inadvertently disappeared during one of our regular 'plagues by grandchild' as what I was left with was a bit manky, so I put it down to that and ordered another off eBay. It worked one way up and not the other! Well after several non genuine leads eventually I managed to get a genuine one, and it worked. But then the problem started coming back  :bugeye:

I did the obvious, like blowing the socket out with compressed air, but to no avail. Well today it got so bad nothing I did would let it make connection - so this means not only can it not be charged, none of the information in the phone can be downloaded or backed up :bang:

Desperate times : trip to the shop called for, but I'm very pressed for time in the next few days by which time it'll be flat  :bang:

A few YouTube videos later I decided to get a powerful light and very powerful lens on the socket, and hey - what's that 'stuff' wedged way down the bottom  :scratch: Careful poking about with a very slenderly tapered wooden cocktail stick dislodged it and moved it about so now the airline could clear it.

Quick test, and every lead I've previously had problems with now works  :ddb: :ddb:

I reckon that that crud had been in there from the start - anyway now I've been able to take multiple back ups and fully charge it

:worthless:

Well I use the iPhone to take pictures, so of course there aren't any  :lol:

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Joules

Re: iPhone 6 Quick Fix
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 05:26:40 PM »
Poor excuse, you could make a small periscope.   :lol:
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 06:54:29 PM »
well her is me expecting a vid of you hitting the thing with your biggest hammer  :) 

lordedmond

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 02:37:10 AM »
Andrew

Did you not roast Buzz Lightyear over a open fire on a spit?

Good fix , it may have been caused by the plague you mentioned

Stuart

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 05:21:39 AM »
I pretty much hate using these new micro USB connectors for charging....May be just profit increasing method or something. They don't appear to be planned frequent use.

Smartphones are worst. Kids use them all the time, therefore they spend much time on the charger while in use.

I hope a proper charging connector will make a comeback.

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 06:09:50 AM »
I reckon that they should develop inductive loop charging. If they could tune to 50 / 60 Hz most built up places have enough residual electromagnetic field at mains frequency to charge phones all the time !

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 09:18:37 AM »
well her is me expecting a vid of you hitting the thing with your biggest hammer  :)
I almost searched for a hammer pic with the intention of saying it would be a better quick fix  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 04:23:45 PM »
The latest thing( or so I am assured) is a development of a relatively large battery on the back of a cell phone. It is claimed that it will last a week.

A bit like these stupid electric cars that cost the earth and find it impossible to go to get anywhere without repeated charges.

Just having a rant.

Norman

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 05:33:30 PM »
Hi there, all,

Slightly   :offtopic: but a comment about A-connector to micro USB cables:

I have a 2.5" hard drive in an external case with a micro USB connector.  I tried to use it recently and it made the 'click - click - click' of death!  'Strange', I said to myself, 'it was OK the other day'.  Just on the off-chance, I tried it again with another cable and it started up and appeared on my desk-top as it ought.

I have a suspicion that some of these cables are offered for charging purposes and only have the 0v and 5v conductors fitted, no data cores!  The trouble is the micro-USB connector is too small to admit my multi-meter test prods!!! 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!