Author Topic: Coat-Hangers - Don't You Love 'em  (Read 5891 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Coat-Hangers - Don't You Love 'em
« on: December 27, 2015, 11:47:53 AM »
A few months back I decided that I was running out of decent coat hangers with bars. Years back I had bought a whole load of ex Trusthouse Forte hotel ones, but gradually they've broken - usually with the hook bit shearing off as it wasn't designed to rotate.

So I bought 40 on ebay - they seemed quite good quality, with shaped backs, rather than the slab sided one that a lot are, and they were cheap as chips. Now it turns out that the way the trouser bar is fitted is rather crude. Rather than being let into the coat part and then pinned, it is just pinned, so gradually the pin works loose and your trousers end up in a heap on the wardrobe floor  :bugeye:

This calls for a modification  :ddb:

A simple bit of heat shrink sleeving over the join solves the issue  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 12:18:16 PM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Coat-Hangers - Don't You Love 'em
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 11:49:22 AM »
So why not try and devise a re-work for the better quality hangers - one was kicking about in the bedroom having recently broken.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 11:54:55 AM »
The plan:

Bore out the broken end of the hook, that was originally just screwed into the wood, having a wood screw form on the end which had sheered off. Then make an adaptor to slide in upwards, drilled and tapped to accept the end of the original hook, that had had a male thread cut on it.

Conveniently the hook was bent from 1/8" material, So the wood was bored out 1/4" (fixturing was fun !) and the 1/8" Whitworth threading gear located, an adaptor turned up out of a scrap of steel and all glued together with loctite high strength retainer
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 12:20:30 PM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 11:57:22 AM »
So there you have it - one of those silly little projects that aren't really worth doing but get done it the quiet time between Christmas and the New Year - and at least now the hook will rotate  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

lordedmond

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 01:30:37 PM »
Andrew

Wear a kilt then you don't need a trouser bar  :doh: :doh:

Stuart

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 12:32:35 AM »
Hey Andrew,
             At first I thought you were going to tell us about uses for the wire coat-hangers from the dry-cleaners that seem to multiply.
      I love them - must have items in the playpen as the wire comes into use so often. Holding stuff together whilst I look to see how it may or may not attach to the next bit or silver solder.

Heaps of times I use them in the garden to organize plants and shade cloth. OR, to poke down and clear holes in narrow bore drip line tubing.

Your repair to the hangers just shows your ingenuity. Simple fixes are king.

John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 04:30:51 PM »
Andrew

Wear a kilt then you don't need a trouser bar  :doh: :doh:

Stuart

A grewsome business with dandruff everywhere - And then you have to get a sporran hanger- the mind boggles. 

As a Fergus O'more, I do know.