Author Topic: Help with some Lathe Questions  (Read 4829 times)

Offline Night Stalker

Help with some Lathe Questions
« on: December 28, 2015, 10:29:52 PM »
Inherited this Delta from a friend..
Decal on the side indicted it was used at a shop in a high school sometime before he acquired her..

So before i put it to work i was thinking of disassembling, cleaning up, inspecting components and making adjustments where needed when reassembled...

How do identify what the model is..?
What areas are of concern on these older lathes.?
Then it would be nice to have a shop manual to set it up for use and perform regular maintenance
Also would like to have a four jaw chuck...any ideas

Thank you for your time...!

On some nights the Moon Howls...

Offline chipenter

Re: Help with some Lathe Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 12:28:17 AM »
It's a Delta Rockwell and will take Southbend or Boxford theaded chucks , Tony may have a manual at a price http://www.lathes.co.uk/delta%20metal/index.html , do a test cutt to see if it cutts paralell .
Jeff

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 05:11:48 AM »
looks like is has a reeves (v belt)  variable speed drive. check the belts are ok and the vatiator parts are clean (free of rust and oil)  you'll need to fins out how to lubricate (or  not)  the variator parts.

if you can run the machine and work the speed up and down a few times (don't try to change the variator speed without the spindle turning) .

other than that, I'd just run an oil can over it and start making parts :-)

bill
Bill

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 08:52:05 AM »
Hi there, Night Stalker,

Welcome to Mad Modders.

I agree with Bill, don't start by reducing your lathe to a heap of bits!

Psychologically, it's better to use it first, even if only for a series of exploratory operations and test pieces.  That way, you'll discover for real what, if any, are its defects and with what priorities they should be addressed.  And you'll have confidence, inside, that you and the lathe really can make stuff.  I've seen lots of listings on eBay of lathes in bits - I believe that their owners' first flush of enthusiasm often fails to carry them on to the reassembly stage!!!

Of course, you'll need to make sure that the lathe turns over without any seizures or grinding or clonks!  So gently by hand before applying motor power.  Then you could  clean the bed to remove dust and grease, you could also, early on, level the bed.  If there's rust on the bed, don't panic, a thou of iron/steel makes 13 thou of rust so it usually looks worse than it really is.  Lots of the Modders here have experience of dealing with rust and will be very pleased to advise if necessary.

By the way, full marks for the size of your photos on this thread, your picture of the car on your Introductions thread is too large and lumbers the viewer with too much scrolling this way and that!!  Please do visit the 'Gallery' department and see the advice there about sizing photos.  Fast Stone Resizer (free) recommended there is very easy to use. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline Night Stalker

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 02:32:09 PM »
Ok..Great info here..
I checked the link provided and detemined it is a 11" x 25 center..nose fitting of 2 /14 x 8 t p i

It has the original 1hp 3phase motor...i am studying up on VFD..
Then as suggested...clean up just enough to test run and detemine overall condition..
No rust..lucky here...had a lot of grease and oil deposit when stored..

However, i am fussy when i acquire used items...i will take her apart, clean and inspect..like to catch something small before it becomes a catastrophic failure..
Like the mill i have...I disassembled as soon as i got her home....and discovered a roller bearing that its ball cage broke sending metal into the race and started to gall the outer race...if i would not have checked her out...who nows how much damage would have happened if she locked up....

No worry about taking it apart...i have rebuilt $30,000 hydraulic transmissions in my previous life...i love taking things apart and seeing  how they work...
But your right, need to get her back together asap...before memory fads...

I will work on resizing the pictures....sorry about that..

Offline RotarySMP

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 04:38:37 PM »
Nice lathe. Nice size.
Mark
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

Offline Night Stalker

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 05:19:59 PM »
Nice lathe. Nice size.
Mark
Thanks Mark...
Yeh I am excited...never operated a metal lathe or mill before..
My neighbor is a retired gunsmith of 50 years...he said get her going,..
he offered to teach me a few things.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 06:29:50 PM »
hi just my bit leve  well a loan if all is well with the lathe and start using it  :)