Author Topic: Any idea why this lathe is chattering? Spindle bearings?  (Read 26710 times)

Offline bertie_bassett

Re: Any idea why this lathe is chattering? Spindle bearings?
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2016, 04:55:38 PM »
glad you got it all sorted in the end
a competent engineer uses the tools and knowledge available, to get a challenging job done.

An incompetent "engineer" tells his boss that the existing equipment "can't do the job" and to get another machine

Offline Pete.

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2016, 05:08:18 PM »
All this hammering on the bearings sounds rather brutal to me.

Surely best to remove the spindle and fix it properly.

Dave.

You're right it isn't ideal but the bearings have already been run loose and had an awful shock from recent tightening up. I guess the answer is to install the new bearings and make sure they aren't such a tight fit so they adjust properly.

lordedmond

« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2016, 02:23:23 AM »
Pete

Bearings are tougher than you think in this case they may be K already , think of the pounding they take on a car / truck etc.

I think it's on the SKF site but may be Barden but they demonstrate fitting AC spindle bearings the a nylon tool and a hammer , yes it only put force on the inner or outer race as needed not both.

In this case the as I posted the spindle should be attended to , but I fear the OP will now have the devil of a job getting it off

Stuart

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2016, 07:17:33 AM »

In this case the as I posted the spindle should be attended to , but I fear the OP will now have the devil of a job getting it off

Stuart

Where there's a will there's a way......angle grinder ready... :dremel:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

lordedmond

Re: Any idea why this lathe is chattering? Spindle bearings
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2016, 10:11:49 AM »
When we had a bad bearing let's say about a 10 inch shaft with it stuck in the cartridge housing ( big electric motors ) we fetched in one of the boiler makers , now I have never seen this done since I left the firm , but he used a normal welding torch not a cutter and manually manipulated the oxy to cut .
He could take of the inner raceway and leave the shaft in marked.

Now these we had to fit using go no gauges and heat to get them on

Those were the days

Stuart

Ps found the fitting guide from SKF with hammer
http://www.skf.com/uk/products/maintenance-products/mechanical-tools-for-mounting-and-dismounting/bearing-fitting-tools/bearing-fitting-tool-kits/index.html

Offline loply

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2016, 10:17:22 AM »
Believe it or not I used a 14lb sledge hammer to remove the spindle on this lathe last time.

That sounds brutal but it's actually not - Rest the smooth head of a smaller hammer against the spindle's rear, and a very slow swing of the 14lber just nudges the spindle out. It's more like a push than a sharp blow.

This is done with the head off the bed of course. Whacking it hard with a light hammer wouldn't work and feels more likely to do damage, but a slow moving unstoppable weight gets it out fairly easily.

Tried a 3 leg puller but I couldn't get the legs to hold on well enough. Obviously a proper press would be better, but needs must...

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2016, 11:05:11 AM »
Respect to you Loply.... :bow:

I think most folk would have gone ahead and used brute force after attempts with a puller....
Its far easier just to bray something rather than sit down and take stock and think.....

Just to add, my comments re the tightness of the bearings werent meant as a criticism or a ' told you so...' But more to be helpful with constructive comment.... :beer:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline sparky961

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2016, 11:06:14 AM »
I hate to admit this, for fear of looking less impressive next time I do it... but cleanly cutting one piece of metal off another is easier than it looks. The secret? Get in quick, get lots of localized heat QUICK and as soon as its hot enough, hit it with the O2. Get out as quick as you got in. Takes some balls on really expensive stuff though.