Author Topic: D1-3 Backplate  (Read 8390 times)

Offline Steenkamp

D1-3 Backplate
« on: January 03, 2016, 02:45:47 AM »
Compliments of the season to all. Yesterday i remembered about a piece of cast iron i aquired a while ago

So the big measure started

After lots of carefull measurement i started by chucking up the cast iron in the four jaw and flattened one side. This would enable me to mount it directly to my current backplate
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 07:29:45 AM by Steenkamp »

Offline Steenkamp

Re: D1-3 Backplate
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 02:53:19 AM »
After flattening the plate i proceeded to drill and tap the plate to fit my scroll chuck hole thats already made on my original backplate. This enabled me to bolt the new backplate directly to the original

The reason i fitted the new plate directly to the original will become evident later on....

I then flattened the other side and proceeded to cut a slightly raised boss that will register against the spindle nose i also bored the through hole

« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 07:31:28 AM by Steenkamp »

Offline Steenkamp

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 03:01:44 AM »
I removed the whole assembly and set my compound slide over to the correct taper using a finger guage and very carefull tapping with a soft hammer. Sorry , i didnt take any pictures as i was concentrating very hard to get it right.

I remounted the assembly. The reason i mounted the cast iron plate to the original backplate  is that i can very accurately and repeatedly remove and measure fit the new backplate against the spindle nose. I then proceeded to cut the taper and when i got to size i removed the assembly, blued it up, test fitted and took minute cuts, repeatedly.... Till it fitted perfectly

Thats how far i got last night. Will continue this arvie and hopefully finish up
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 07:32:28 AM by Steenkamp »

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 04:12:55 AM »
I'm sure it's all very nice work, but I suspect I'm not alone in not being able to see your pictures properly as they are so huge. 640 x 480 is a good compromise between detail and screen size, and let's people view your work without having to scroll all over the place
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Steenkamp

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 06:31:04 AM »
My apologies. Sent them from my phone. Will adjust the size next time

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 07:36:31 AM »
Thanks for re-sizing them - much more visible  :thumbup:

Nice work coming along well - keep the pictures coming  :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Steenkamp

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 07:37:13 AM »
Thanks Awemason. Still learning

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 07:38:03 AM »
cough cough cough .... it's Mawson  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Steenkamp

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 10:07:54 AM »
My apologies once again. Was typing with the machines running. Not paying enough attention to phone

Offline Steenkamp

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 01:50:22 PM »
Hi All
Seems like i cannot post small pictures from my phone so the only time i can post anything with pictures is when im infront of the pc. Here goes.
Yesterday is scratched around in my " one day i might need it" trunk and found the old D1-4 backplate i knew i had somewhere. I needed to make the camlock pins to complete the backplate and had a plan. So instead of making new pins i measured up the D1-4 pins and saw that they are identical to the D1-3 pins , except in diameter. Took them to the 4 jaw, indicated them in and started cutting with a carbide tipped tool. quite hard stuff, but came out quite nice. No Photos of that process sorry. But i have some pics of them mounted

Offline Steenkamp

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 02:10:13 PM »
Right, so pins are mounted and now for the test of "does it fit as intended?"test.

It passed with Flying colours!!! :headbang:

Its a little tight when the backplate is cold but as soon as it heats up it releases as soon as the camlocks are released. Guess it was because i was test fitting while the backplate was warm from machining.
 Fitted the backplate to the spindle and started to machine it flat and the boss where the chuck must fit. Its an old Rhome 4 jaw scroll chuck that was heavily beaten in its previous life, got it with the Chipmaster , unmounted.
Got the chuck to fit nice and tight and then took out the jaws to face the craters and other dings a bit smoother.
Next step is to grind the chuck jaws as they have had a rather tough life. I need this chuck operational as i currently only have a 4 jaw independant and quick setup is still something i aspire to.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 02:35:33 PM by Steenkamp »

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 02:17:39 PM »
Steenkamp,

I take all my pictures using my iPhone, but have never found a way of either reducing the size when taken, or editing them later to a small size. So my modus operandi is to upload them full size to my PC then use  Paint to crop and reduce to 640x480. However I always save the full size image as it's amazing how often they are a useful reference.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Steenkamp

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 02:34:13 PM »
Yip, same issue here. so atleast Im on the right track then

Offline vintageandclassicrepairs

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 02:39:56 PM »
Hi Andrew & Steenkamp,

I use this method to reduce the iPhone photos !
I open the photos and email them to myself, this gives an option to select the image size
I have to do this with each photo, I haven't figured out if you can send groups of photos to email on an
 iPhone 4  :palm:

Cheers
John

Offline Steenkamp

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 02:53:20 PM »
Thanks John , i will definately use that tip. Saves me from carrying that silly cable around! You must just hold in on your screen in the message body after the last photo and select "insert photo or video" then you can add as many as your server allows you to. Just figured that one out as i was trying out your tip. Learning everyday!

Offline malbenbut

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 03:37:28 AM »
Where did you buy your pins from or did you make them?

MBB

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 04:59:26 AM »
MBB
He does say that he turned down the D1-4 pins to suit. The D1-3 pins in metric and imperial are available from Rotagrip if that helps.
Pete

Offline mechman48

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 05:17:35 AM »
Steenkamp,

I take all my pictures using my iPhone, but have never found a way of either reducing the size when taken, or editing them later to a small size. So my modus operandi is to upload them full size to my PC then use  Paint to crop and reduce to 640x480. However I always save the full size image as it's amazing how often they are a useful reference.

I upload my pics to 'My pictures' album, edit to suit with whatever editing programme you have, then I use 'FastStone' photo resizer which compresses pics from Mb size down to Kb size very easily thus saving HD space, also easier to send in e mails, or upload into forums.

George.

George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline Steenkamp

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 01:17:12 PM »
Hi All
MBB , its pins from an old D1-4 backplate, something i picked up during scrap metal dealer diving.  One of those things why my wife calls me the hoarder. I just reduced the diameter to 14,3mm.  Thanks for the tradelink Spurry. Will file that one away for someday. Mechman, ill try it out to see if it works for me, thanks

Offline Steenkamp

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 02:03:26 PM »
Hi All

Got the chuck cleaned up pretty good. First i removed the scroll and the sockets-gears thats used to tighten the jaws.

Then i gave it a couple of skims with some carbide

I think it came out much better!

Put all the rest of the parts back together and now she looks cared for again

Need to make a fixture to gring the jaws