Had one of those annoying experiences today. The kind that only seem to lead from one problem to another.
Here's what happened.
Before Christmas, when I was still working part time, I embarked on making a couple of drive shafts for my nephew's experimental electric car. They were nothing special, just 1" BMS bars about 18 inch long.
The original intent was to make them at work where the equipment was on hand. So I reached the point where I needed an M16 * 2M pitch thread on one end of each bar. no problem, Piece of cake on a Colchester 2000. This left me with the other ends. The drawing he had given me didn't specify a thread, only that it had to be 20 MM long and less than the diameter of the 1" bar. And yes, am aware that it couldn't have been larger than the bar diameter; before anyone points it out.
I settled on 22MM * 2m pitch. and again, no problem. This left only a couple of internally threaded couplings to be made to fit.
Then we got busy and I didn't have time to finish the job before I retired; for the fifth time. It would have to be done at home. and the only suitable machine was the Denford. Problem was, this machine wasn't running at the time.
Much of Christmas was spent getting the machine going.
Three days ago I settled down to make the couplings. I had noticed that the gears and the banjo for metric threading were in one of the cabinet drawers. So just a matter if swapping the Imperial set over.
I removed the Imperial banjo and it's gears.
Then discovered that although the gears and banjo were there. there was no trunnions on the banjo for the gears to run on. Much time was spent making up replacements. They fit perfectly. and the assembly was placed in position. Only to find that the banjo securing bolt that came with the imperial set is too short to hold the Metric set. And it is 3/8" BSW to screw into the gearbox. And I don't have a longer setscrew. Or a 3/8" BSW die.
Gloom and despondency descends upon the shed.
'Stuff this Metric' says I. 'Enough already'.
I could cut the thread on the lathe, but this means putting the Imperial set back on. And if I am going to do that I may as well go the whole hog and re thread the bar Imperial.
So, I turned off the Metric thread, machined up a couple of tubular 1" O/D pieces to fit and welded then in place. Turned of the excess weld and am now back to where I was a week ago.
Tomorrow they get turned down to 15/16" and 11 TPI BSF.
Should have done that in the first place.
You can guess which way I am (probably) going to vote in the upcoming European referendum.