The Shop > Wood & Stuff

Cedar Strip Kayak

(1/5) > >>

sparky961:
This began (here, at least) as a posting requesting advice on a strongback.  (see here: http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,10612.msg121715.html#msg121715)

Progress has been slow, as I completely expected, but I've recently assembled the form that will become a kayak.  Its encouraging to see it starting to take shape!

The next step, arguably one of the best, is to start laying strips.  The wife kinda gave me a sideways look when I told her I'd be spending a lot of time stripping in the basement....

Still a long way to go but now it's taking up space so I'll be reminded often.  I also suspect that the boat may be a bit on the small side for me, but that's ok for a first attempt.  I know enough smaller people who would enjoy such a thing, or put it up for sale.  It's the journey, not the destination.

Sid_Vicious:
Looks nice, are you working from a set of plans?

sparky961:

--- Quote from: Sid_Vicious on January 05, 2016, 10:50:57 PM ---Looks nice, are you working from a set of plans?
--- End quote ---

The design is a slightly modified version of Nick Shade's "Guillemot".  I've scaled it down to about 14' from the original 17' or so.

I have Nick's book: The Strip Built Sea Kayak, which is well-written and gets the occasional chuckle from me too.  I wouldn't be as far with this project if I didn't have it to refer back to as a reminder and motivation.

One small complaint is the way the boat data is given.  There are charts in the book for the form "offsets" and although I suspect this is maybe how boat builders do it, I'm a CAD/CAM guy and I just about lost it trying to convert this data into a 3D model I could work with.  I don't know if he really thought it would be the best way to present it, or was more interested in selling full-sized templates and such.  Either way, I got it done but am still a bit annoyed because it didn't need to be as difficult as it was.

Lew_Merrick_PE:

--- Quote from: sparky961 on January 05, 2016, 10:47:08 PM ---The wife kinda gave me a sideways look when I told her I'd be spending a lot of time stripping in the basement....
--- End quote ---

I got a lot of mileage out of this, but I had my (then) 14 year old daughter and her (then) boyfriend "attach" the back porch to a house we bought in 1995.  After all, how many father's would send their 14 year old daughter to screw on the porch with their boyfriend?

nickle:
Sparky,

The boat will be a thing of beauty when done and will turn heads wherever you take it. I built two stitch and glue kayaks a few years ago (one of which was designed by nicks brother Eric Schache). They are simpler and a little less graceful than the strip built ones but it's hard work to get them into the water without being stopped so that people can admire them and ask questions. There's tremendous satisfaction in building a little boat to paddle around in. Good luck with the project. It's a long slog but very rewarding in the end.

Regards,

Nick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version