Author Topic: Curious Cable Colours  (Read 5225 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Curious Cable Colours
« on: January 06, 2016, 05:42:04 AM »
I bought a nifty little light to put on my Dormer Drill Sharpener. Intended as a 'Sewing Machine Light' it is mains driven and magnetically attached and does exactly what I wanted.

BUT - just look at the cable colours they've used - PINK & GREEN  :bugeye: Does any country use that as a standard? I notice that they are not 'CE' marked, but I'm not sure the CE system would cover cable colours :scratch:

This is the item, and very good for £4.49 including postage:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221970300546?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mexican jon

Re: Curious Cable Colours
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 06:00:51 AM »
An Extract from Extract from EN 60204-1:2006

13.2.4 Identification by colour

Where colour-coding is used for identification of conductors (other than the protective conductor (see 13.2.2)), the following colours may be used

BLACK, BROWN, RED, ORANGE, YELLOW, GREEN, BLUE (including LIGHT BLUE), VIOLET, GREY, WHITE, PINK, TURQUOISE.

The above is mainly in connection with panel wiring  :scratch:

"CE" marking does include the colour of cable cores  :thumbup: And within the countries that recognise the "CE" marking that cable would not be allowed  :(
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

Offline John Swift

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 06:05:59 AM »
Hi Andrew

I can't  think of any country that uses green and pink for mains cable
may be its  China Export  telecom cable  :zap:

John
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:09:30 AM by John Swift »

Offline hermetic

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 06:09:19 AM »
I certainly dont know anywhere that uses those colours, and i am pretty sure CE covers cable colours, which are of course whatever the EEC think they should be this year! Seriously, since China said that CE stood for China Export. and given that anyone can now import direct from Hong Kong or China(like you did) as single items which are mostly not CE marked .Don't worry about it, just another sign of the falling standards internationally as we move into the "dross age".To be honest, I have done it as well, and most of the stuff is reasonable quality, and very cheap, but there is stuff about that is unsafe, as the recent spate of firebomb hoverboards has illustrated, but having said that,,my kids Ipad chargers get really hot and they couldnt possibly be made in china, coulod they? :D
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

lordedmond

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 06:46:33 AM »
What's the voltage Andrew?

Bet it's 12 volts  then anything goes

I worked on some Croning shell moulding machines made in Germany and they used red as earth internly for panel wiring

I have not used the term LV because that's up to 415vac makes you think

Stuart

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 06:59:00 AM »
Specified in the advert as 110-250 - I'm running it on my (now reduced to !!) 235v.

Not particularly bothered, and I'm sure that the electrons don't mind a jot, but I did make sure that the plug I fitted had a low value fuse  :zap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Swift

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 07:15:12 AM »
Hi Andrew

being able to fit the appropriate 1 to 13A  fuse in what the American's see as the funny UK plugs is a distinct advantage

the plug fitted to my 15W soldering iron has a 1A fuse for example

John

PS

1" HRC fuses available for fitting into UK plugs  1A ,  2A,  3A , 5A , 7A , 10A and 13A
the fuse being chosen to protect the mains flex , not the appliance

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bussmann-Domestic-Electrical-Household-Cartridge/dp/B00T2ZRBAG/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1452084086&sr=8-17&keywords=13a+plug+fuses

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:49:56 AM by John Swift »

Offline Joules

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 08:25:07 AM »
Looks like they are cost cutting on the red pigment  :bugeye:
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline hopefuldave

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 04:59:19 PM »
If sold as part of a product (e.g. "sewing machine replacement lamp") it's internal cabling and colours aren't legislated, only the mains cable from socket to appliance - although part of CE certification is employment of "best practice" in design and construction, so NOTHING Chinese qualifies, explains the China Export markings...

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.