Author Topic: Harrison L5A a new life  (Read 7443 times)

Offline Biggles

Harrison L5A a new life
« on: January 27, 2016, 03:28:15 PM »
I have now had the Harrison for one Month and in the meantime have instigated the making of a set of conversion gears in cast iron, stripped most of the saddle except for the broken and rusted screws and found someone else’s good work to repair!
The way things are progressing I will probably have to strip it to the bone in the same manner as Mick’s previous resurrection. :doh:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:56:02 AM by Biggles »

Offline Biggles

Re: Harrison L5A a new life
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 04:44:57 PM »
The cross- slide has been very stubborn as the two bolts holding the measuring collar were thread locked in and the rust had also attributed to the problem. After about a week in Kroil, I had given up and resorted to heat. That did the trick but, this also heated up the bearings which now feel a little gritty. Next job is to remove the bearings from the crossline lead screw.
In the meantime the Mrs is shouting something about the loft conversion, can’t think what it is. Oh that came first!!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:51:24 AM by Biggles »

Offline hermetic

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 04:15:59 PM »
Hi Biggles, you have your work cut out there, but the cross slide gets some stick on all machines, clean all the crap off, a light stoning to mark the dings and bumps, and then a carefull examination. you will be making swarf before you know it1
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline Biggles

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 07:59:04 PM »
Hi Phil, it’s not so much the slide that worries me; but because I had to heat the thrust bearing on the leadscrew to get one of the retaining screw off, (it feels a little gritty now) and wondered if I have distorted the bearing run, also how to get the bearings of the screw if I need to change bearings. :palm:
By the way do you know how to post photos so that they stay full size using faststone resizer and withought the bottom stats and title?

Offline Biggles

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 12:48:16 AM »
It’s been a while since I have written anything in this post, I have been busy. I have sent some parts of the compound down to a friend’s workshop to be filled in with stainless and to have gibs and T nuts made for my new phase 2 post. I managed to take the compounds micrometre and bearings apart and found that someone beat me too it, previously denting the thrust bearing. Bought some more bearings and located a new three ball hand wheel to replace the old type with the two bolts screwed in for control. I thought I should download an expanded drawing of the headstock so that I can ask question on some parts latter on. Apart from that I have been busy with the loft extension and lying down on the settee for my back problems. That’s about it. I will upload some photos later on.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 05:12:21 AM by Biggles »

Offline Biggles

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 11:35:20 AM »
Whilst waiting for things to be constructed in the loft  :hammer: I have been busy working my keyboard and spending some money before it burns a hole in my pocket. Can’t have the wife sowing pockets! I found the following items and relocated them to my house. An Elliott P2 pillar drill, Clarkson mark 2 Grinder, Harrison Fluid feed and Main Lock nuts of the main spindle, a Spacing bush, a working 240v Cole Ace grinder and a Duplex grinder for spares which I intend to get working, I hope.  :loco:
The Clarkson and Elliot are both 3 phase. I haven’t had them going yet as I don’t have a 3 phase supply. Eventually I will refit them after I finish the lathe.
                                                                                                                                                                    :mmr:

My lathe did not have the end cover and the main spindle locknuts were abused.

A Harrison fluid pipe and fitting.

Dual reading micrometre hand wheels and screws.

Duplex grinder (non working)

Ace Cole grinder in working condition.

A Clarkson mark 2 grinder.

An Elliott 2 Progress floorDrill.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 02:58:07 PM by Biggles »

Offline micktoon

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 07:38:12 PM »
Looks like you have won the lottery lol :thumbup: some nice new kit there so should enhance you workshop no end. Hope the Harrison is coming on nicely too.
 Cheers Mick

Offline Biggles

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 04:39:52 AM »
I wish Mick; just had to have them come what may, especially the feed screws and dual micrometres. I haven’t touched the lathe since i gave the compound to a friend to sort out the chips and new Gibs. With any luck i will do some work on it this week if i am not laid out cos of my back and a myriad of other things i have to do.  :thumbup: