Author Topic: 3D Printer - Where to start?  (Read 4321 times)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
3D Printer - Where to start?
« on: February 01, 2016, 10:57:14 PM »
Ok. So I have always wanted to build one. I have been getting inspired by scanning the 3D printer builds that are going on... Plus, there are a couple of projects I want to undertake where I would need one. But, I am lost. I have the general gist of it. I understand the basics of how the additive printers work. There are just so many styles and builds, I don't know where to start. I am unsure of all the components etc... I started to pay attention a few years ago, but due to work, I got left behind.

What I am looking for, is a solid built printer design to work from. I am not interested in building a 3D printer that uses mostly 3D printed parts in it's frame. I like the idea of the ones that use extruded aluminum profiles (like 80/20). I would like a decent work area and quality prints.

Where do I start?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Joules

Re: 3D Printer - Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 11:14:01 PM »
https://grabcad.com/library/ultimaker-2-aluminum-extrusion-3d-printer-1

How about something like this.  Even though it uses printed parts, nothing to stop a skilled maker fabricating parts from metals and plastic in a more conventional manner.   Check out the range of open source designs from commercial builders like the Rostock Max from SeeMeCNC.  These machines have very popular support forums with tons of info for builders and users alike.  I like rigid structural machines as they are less prone to vibration, the other alternative is to reduce speed on the more flimsy designs.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 11:47:59 PM »
I like the looks of the Ultimaker2 but, it looks like the bed is only supported on one side?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Joules

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 12:02:34 AM »
Not a problem Eric, add another two bars and sets of bearings. Then shift the Z axis to one side and mirror it so you have two Z leadscrews.  You don't have to stick rigidly to the design.

Look up BigBox from E3D, their machine is Open Source, or will be.  They have sent plans out to Kickstarter funders and once they ship all the Kickstarter machines the plans should go public.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline CrazyModder

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 01:53:04 AM »
I have yearlong experience with "wanting a 3D printer".  :scratch:

For me, the very first choice is between a X-Y (e.g., Prusa Mendel http://reprap.org/wiki/Prusa_Mendel_(iteration_2) ) or a delta printer (e.g. Rostock http://reprap.org/wiki/Rostock ). I have no hands-on experience with either, but from a purely engineering viewpoint it seems to me that the "symmetries" in the delta printers are better. I.e., I guess in a X-Y printer, it would be easier to for example get a misalignment or botched tension or whatever in the axes. Delta seems more complicated in the software, but as far as I can tell there are enough open source software drivers for both styles to assume that all software probglems will resolve themselves.

If I would pick an X-Y, I'd take the Prusa, simply because it seems to be the most popular of the RepRap style ("open source") printers. I frankly have zero interest in the "closed source" (commercial) printers, but that's a matter of taste.

I would very likely pick a complete kit of one of these. For example, an Austrian company sells a Rostock kit (complete with electronics, motors etc.) for 600 €. I doubt it would get much cheaper sourcing the components yourself, unless you happen to have all kinds of stuff already in stock.

Have fun! :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 12:01:51 PM by CrazyModder »

Offline efrench

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 03:19:36 PM »
Deltas and cartesians use the same gcode, so you don't need to worry about the software.  There are a few open source slicer programs, Cura, Slic3r to name a couple. A 3d modeling software that can output .stl files is needed.  I use Fusion 360.

I based my delta design on the BerryBot.  It's all aluminum and the top and bottom are made like torsion boxes, so it is quite rigid. Because I don't have a brake, I used aluminum channel for the horizontal members. I also used linear guides instead of wheels on the carriages or unsupported rods and linear bearings. 

Offline Pete49

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 10:15:23 PM »
Well my pacific peso worth ...I have a Da Vinci XYZ 1.0 3D printer and it worked from the moment I took it out of the box and plugged it in. To avoid the ridiculous cost of their propriety brand, poor quality filament I did what nearly everyone else does and reset the cartridge and use 1kilogram rolls of quality filament. Yes I did originally think about building one but at $US500 ($AU650 and free freight) it just wasn't worth it. It comes with a 200mm (8") square heated table and a cartridge of filament and no hassles to get running right. All you need to supply is the .stl file via 3D cad software if you can use it or look at the thousands of available files from tool accessories to aquaponics, toys etc. available for free.
Or people like Joules that helped me with a specific problem for which I'm truly greatful.
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it