Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

2-6-0 Mixed Trafic Tender Locomotive

(1/13) > >>

sbwhart:
Its been some while since I started a thread, but I haven't been idle. Since getting my Simplex in Steam and doing a little tidying up work on it I've been pondering what to take on as my next long term project. I have the fancy to doing a larger tender loco, I dropped on a set of Don Young drawing for his 5" Gauge 2-6-0 Horwich Mogul otherwise known as a Crab due to its appearance. Don's drawings are beautifully detailed and have many of the features of the full sized engine, but her I hit a problem, I'm not that bothered about it being an exact scale model as long as it looks ok when its over on the far side of the track I will be happy I'm more interested in its ease of manufacture, and it being a good runner. So I will be using Dons drawings only as a guide, and will be redesigned it extensively to make it easier to make:- her are my objectives and list of constraints for the design.

Objectives:-

1:- 5" Gauge Miniature Locomotive
2:- Good Reliable Runner
3:- Extensive use
4:- Haul a minimum of 8 people
5:- Resemble a 2-6-0 Horwich Crab

Constraints:-

1:- All Features to be functional and relevant to use of a Miniature Locomotive
2:- Minimum of cast parts
3:- Make Maximum use of Don Young's design
4:- Maximum Use of laser cut parts
5:- Maximum use of commercially supplied Items (Boiler and Fittings)
6:- Simple Construction
7:- Simple and easy to maintain
8:- Transport by one person

So there we have it:-

Every project has to start some ware so I decided to start with the cylinders as I thought this would be the most difficult part to make and if I couldn't make them there was no point in taking it any further. I didn't wont to use castings I wanted to make them from a billet of cast iron, this called for a redesign of Don Young's drawing. I kept all the main critical for function features:- over all length valve ports cylinder piston valve relationship etc, but reduce the cylinder diameter to 1 3/4" 45mm and simplified other features so that it could be made from billet.

Progress to date:-

Cutting the meehanite cast iron billet to size.

I then roughed it out on the mill and finished square using an angle plate

spotted out the cylinder and valve position using the mills DRO and located in large four jaw using a wobble bar.

Roughed out the bores.

And then set up on the cross slide and using a between centre boring bar finished the bore.

First bore done only another three to go.

That's as far as I've got.

I'll keep you posted as things progress.

Stew

chipenter:
I like your idea the cylinder castings from Reeves are £367.06 , will be watching at 72" long not so small .

John Rudd:
Looks good Stew,  :dremel:

maybe a bit too ambitious for me..... :scratch:

DavidA:
Reminds me I really do need to make progress with my Fowler 4F.

The cylinder (inside twin) will also be hewn from the solid.

Looking forward to seeing more of your project.

Dave.

sbwhart:
Thanks for looking chaps

--- Quote from: chipenter on February 09, 2016, 04:05:36 AM ---I like your idea the cylinder castings from Reeves are £367.06 , will be watching at 72" long not so small .

--- End quote ---

I bought all the bar material to make both cylinders including covers, piston, valve sleeves and valve spool for £160 so I recon I've saved myself a nice bit of cash, to be honest I think what they charge for castings is extortionate. On the down side there is quite a bit of machining to get them where I want, but on the plus side the continuous meehanite is lovely to machine, free of blow holes and hard inclusions, and once you have the billet for the cylinders squared up its a lot easier to handle than an odd shaped casting, I won't round the outside up until I have all the rest of the features machined.

I'm just going to take it one part at a time, my first hurdle is the cylinders, its pushing the capacity of my machine, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'll keep you posted with updates, so watch this space.

Stew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version