Author Topic: Aldi 3D Printer  (Read 30331 times)

Offline Joules

Aldi 3D Printer
« on: February 11, 2016, 08:02:01 AM »
http://www.3ders.org/articles/20160211-aldi-australia-to-sell-budget-cocoon-create-3d-printer-and-3d-printing-pen.html

This might be a big opportunity for people to dip a toe into 3D printing, especially if the trial goes well and they then do a Europe release.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline George Konstantinidis

Re: Aldi 3D Printer
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 08:54:15 AM »
That is a rebadged Wanhao I3 rev 2. They are very good machines in fact and with minor mods they can be as reliable as you can get.

Offline Joules

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 09:01:26 AM »
I was thinking with them being a one design and possibly shed loads sold there should be lots of people solving any of the niggly issues they may have and plenty of scope for after market spares.

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 09:13:13 AM »
The real benefit is the bent metal frame. There are no 3dprinted parts on it at all. So as far as i can see as long as the motherboard does not fail, the only other consumable are the drive belts. And of course at the price, it is a very good moddable platform. So even if the mobo fails, you can just stick an arduino/raspbery/wateva in and off you go.

I have replaced the linear bearings on my ones with igus drylin bearings to reduce noise and added astrosyn vibration dampers too. It is now significantly quieter. The other one had them installed by the factory on the Z-axis only.

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 05:21:44 PM »
Watching this thread with interest!
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline Joules

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 04:04:17 AM »
Will, if you really are tempted by this type machine.  A local company I deal with sell this model.

http://creative3d.co.uk/3d-printers/wanhao-duplicator-i3

I have bought  from them in the past , and buy my filament from them.   Always been happy with the aftersales support they offer.  Lots of information online for this printer. 

Komatias, do you have any pictures of your slide bearing conversion.  Getting rid of vibration always helps to improve print quality and avoiding resonant frequencies in the mechanical parts.

Offline Woz

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 11:09:55 PM »
I snagged one of the Aldi machines this morning.  Looks like there were only half a dozen per store.  Packaging was good with lots of protective foam and the contents included an SD card with some test files, a USB cable and even a scraper to lift the model off the bed.
Initial assembly only took 15 minutes but the bed leveling was a bit more complicated especially if you follow the quick start instructions where they neglect to tell you to check that X axis is level with bed.  It's in the manual but who reads manuals! After leveling the bed adjustment went well.
Plugged the SD card in, chose a model and off it went without a hitch.
If you buying one one you need to get a roll of filament as there is not much supplied in the box.
Very impressed so far.
Now to read the manual and more importantly to conquer CAD.

Woz

Offline CrazyModder

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 02:12:16 AM »
EDIT: Dang, for some reason my morning coffee has not been working correctly and the good old wetware was not up to speed yet. Nevermind my question. :)

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 06:18:38 AM »
Joules,

This is them inside the bearing holders:

Offline Joules

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 06:29:00 AM »
Ooooh cheers Komatias, do you have a link to that bearing shell, be handy for others if they fancy going that route.  Be very interested in being kept in the loop on how they perform for you over the coming year.

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 06:35:42 AM »
I do, but I may be reprimanded for advertising....will send you a PM with the link

Offline Joules

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 06:47:57 AM »
Cheers, I think they are excellent value for money and so post a link I "WASN'T" sent by Komatias, and "WON'T" credit him for the details.      :thumbup:

https://emvioeng.com/shop/product/drylin-bearings-for-8mm-shaft-15mm-od/

If I get my nephew one of these printers, I think that bearing mod will be on our todo list.

Offline nrml

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 03:47:26 PM »
Aluminium X carriage for prusa i3 style machines.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381482205571?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Igus bearings and housing.
http://www.motedis.co.uk/shop/Dynamics-linear-units/linear-bearing:::99999213_99999308.html

I highly recommend Motedis for all your aluminium extrusion requirements. Top notch quality aluminium with an outstanding range of profiles, free cutting and deburring service and millimeter precise lengths are the norm. They certainly maintain the reputation of German engineering! But they are more reasonably priced for the quality than any UK supplier I have come across even after taking shipping costs into account. No connection - just a very satisfied customer.