Author Topic: Omega Seamaster bumper automatic cal. 344 Repair  (Read 4118 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Omega Seamaster bumper automatic cal. 344 Repair
« on: February 18, 2016, 02:41:43 AM »
I got a Omega Seamaster bumper automatic cal344 about 8 years ago now. Sadly it stopped working a couple of years back and has been sat in the draw. I decided to take a look at it myself so it's most defiantly the most expensive watch I've worked on. I took a very long nearly 3 hour video incase I needed to review it to get it back in one piece again.  I trimmed it down to 10 minutes for interest. The engineering in these movements is mind blowing.  Some of the screws are like tiny flakes of swarf.

Anyway, I got to the bottom of what had made it stop and managed to fix it.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 09:14:08 AM by raynerd »

Offline philf

Re: Omega Seamaster bumper automatic cal. 344 Repair
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 08:48:02 AM »
Hi Chris,

Well done to get it working again.

I've not thought of taking a video. I make a high resolution scan on the flatbed scanner and print it out. When I take the watch apart I can lay down the parts and screws in the right place on the print to make sure they go back in the right place. It doesn't help with the order I took it apart.

I've an Omega Constellation that needs putting back together after I had the dial restored and bought new hands.

It's hard to comprehend how they can make some of the small parts and how incredibly good the finish is.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 09:20:12 AM »
The scanner idea sounds good Phil but I take it you`d need to take multiple scans as the watch comes apart to show an order - as you mentioned.

Maybe it is a bit sad, but I always take a video when I do a dismantle of anything and on a good number of occasions now I`ve had reason to refer back to them and often my bumbling commentary has helped a little which is why I also speak as well. I was quite chuffed with this one and especially the bumper mechanism which is why I shortened it down.

The engineering is incredible, without sticking the calipers on them, a couple of the screws were less than 0.5mm in diameter and not much longer but like you said, with a lovely blued finish. Incredible stuff. 

Offline chipenter

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 02:14:24 PM »
I have three ladies Omega watches and they are to small for me now to repair, I have often wondered what the machines are like to make the parts .
Jeff

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 06:11:51 PM »
Reminds me: I have an Omega Speed Master 125 [The 125 is the Omega factory aniversary and it is the automatic version of the Appolo mission watches. It carries the Nasa Stamp]. Once a long time ago I sent it in to Omega Manchester [to be sent to London as they couldn'yt take the back off!] for a clean and oil. I foolishly mentioned that the SS bracelt was getting worn and could it be re-pinned or tightened up.

3 weeks later I got the watch back, the bill was £200 and they had changed the 'Efin bracelt to a non-original 125!

This was in about 1978.

So I still have the watch and its useless non original bracelet!
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/