Author Topic: Feeler Lathe  (Read 5075 times)

Offline Rick O Shea

• www.clockconservation.co.uk
Feeler Lathe
« on: March 08, 2016, 03:11:59 PM »
I have just pushed the boat out, spent most of the children's inheritance,  and bought a very nice Feeler lathe. Which is as far as I can see a Hardinge copy made in the far east , it has a very good write up in Lathes website and looks beautiful it is in fantastic condition having been rebuilt by Hardinge a few years ago.

I suspect lots of people use Hardinge  but do many have Feelers? I have a maintenance manual but not an instruction manual. can any offer any pointers or advice?

If I knew any more I would be very very dangerous, but as I do not know much I am quite quite harmless.
Located in the Royal Forest of Dean Gloucestershire.
 www.magnetic-speedometer-repair.com

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Feeler Lathe
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 03:38:13 PM »
Looks very nice.

Quite surprised that Hardinge were prepared to re-build a copy of one of their products  :scratch:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Rick O Shea

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 04:21:51 PM »
I am not sure about that either.

Some authorities suggest that Hardinge licenced the far east copy? again all I can say is that the quality of the lathe is superb, not a far east knock off copy but a beautifully made machine. Did hardinge supply patterns ? I have no idea 
If I knew any more I would be very very dangerous, but as I do not know much I am quite quite harmless.

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 06:09:51 PM »
I suspect ZMT rather than hardinge did the rebuild (don't think H.UK do rebuilds of anything) .

>Some authorities suggest that Hardinge licenced the far east copy?
Hardinge denies it ;-)

looks great :-)

ii think i have a manual somewhere....

It's a near clone of the Hardinge  so the HLV-H manual will tell you all you need:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwXDcXKx2Kzld3BVak1tV2o3eGc

Here's a service/operation manual  for the cyclematic 618 english/metric  for anything different (e.g.  dials )

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwXDcXKx2KzlZVZ5NWdHeGdBYjA
Bill

Offline Rick O Shea

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 03:57:28 PM »
Thanks Bill the manual will be a great help. I think you are right it may well have been  ZMT who did the refurb.  I thought it was done in Exeter but Bovey Tracy is very close, so may be the sellers memory playing tricks

I am going to need a couple of back plates for the odd chucks I have got  where do you suggest I could try?

very best wishes and thanks
Mike

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 01:05:51 PM »
I'm going to have to get into making hardinge backplates :-)  i get asked all the time....

i don't know of any sensibly priced source,  there are us sources e.g. buck

colledge castings do useable blanks if you want to make your own. but you'll need somthing to hold it on (i have used large collet closers , which do appear on ebay from time to time)

where abouts are you (if you're in driving distance of Colchester i could lend you a chuck) .

Bill

Bill

Offline Rick O Shea

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 02:16:52 PM »
Bill

very many thanks for your reply,  If you do get the time to make a few,  I will put an order in for three please.........OK pushing my luck...... I live in gloucestershire which is about as far from Colchester as you can get...

I wonder if I should try and get a couple from  the USA,

very best wishes

Mike

Offline mechman48

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 10:58:28 AM »
Hi Rick

Ooooh my eyes have gone green!   :bugeye:  :drool:   by the way has it just had a shower?, you must have a big shower cubicle to it get under that shower head... :D  :)   :)   :lol:

George

p.s. if you resize your pics we'd all get a better eyeball on the whole pic without having to scroll screen... try 680 x 480 or there abouts, try FS resizer.. free app. saves a lot of space on your hard drive albums.

George.
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'