Author Topic: Lathe DRO  (Read 3960 times)

Offline mechman48

Lathe DRO
« on: March 11, 2016, 11:06:03 AM »
For those with WM 250 + copied from my post in another thread.... **LINK**

Not exactly today, more over the weekend; made up a small X axis DRO for my lathe using a cheap digi calliper from Aldi's. The pics show the make up of it, although looking rough & ready I assure you that it was cleaned up somewhat once finished. The block can slide along with the saddle once the 5 mm lock bolt is freed off, when needed the bolt is locked to the underside of the shear & the read head is locked whilst the scale moves with the saddle. As for consistency it has shown to be within .01mm which I find acceptable for what I'm pottering with... not a lot so far...

Using the wiper fixing location, swapped the screw for a 3 mm bolt... the bracket has been soldered onto the scale

lathe x axis dro (1).jpg

Underneath fixing, used metal to metal epoxy resin.

lathe x axis dro (3).jpg

Not pretty but for testing set up ...

lathe x axis dro (4).jpg

Set at zero...

lathe x axis dro (5).jpg

135.91mm useable length

lathe x axis dro (2).jpg

Nothing complicated nor aesthetically perfect but a simple enough job for what I use at the mo' until I can afford some decent kit.

George.
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline John Rudd

Re: Lathe DRO
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 11:59:44 AM »
Nicely moded George..... :thumbup:

Might have to do something similar with my SPG lathe( similar to yours but a bigger bore version  :lol:) with 700 mm between centres its a bit long for a scale.......
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors