Author Topic: smd test tweezers, got one and it's too cheap  (Read 6594 times)

Offline PekkaNF

smd test tweezers, got one and it's too cheap
« on: January 26, 2016, 02:05:13 PM »
I don't know what hit me, but I bought this one:
http://www.banggood.com/SMD-Inductor-Test-Meter-Clip-Probe-for-Resistor-Capacitor-Multimeter-p-912618.html

Should have known from the description, price and picture, but I got it.

1. Points are probaly plain steel, not plated. Very difficut to get any good contact. Reading vary a lot depending on evene slight change of pressure.

2. Tweezer is clunky, unergonomical, bigger than you think and actually needs quite a bit of pressure to operate.

3. Test lead is really 50% of what test leads are normally. For some reason they are thick and not that pliable. Also the safety plug shell (outer plastic cylinder) is a tad too large diameter. Needs serious foce to insert into Fluke multimeter.

Should I DIY one or are there any decent hobby models available.

Pekka

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
Re: smd test tweezers, got one and it's too cheap
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 04:40:40 PM »
Pekka,

I've got a pair of their tweezers to go with my LCR and other meters from Peak Electronics http://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/jz_accessories.html (second item down on the right of the page) and I have no problems with them.

Dave

Offline PK

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 05:09:00 PM »
Well you could have posted this a few days ago and saved me $5!
I looked at the ones from Peak, decided they were too expensive and ordered the cheap ones.

I'm not angry....Just disappointed.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 03:03:48 AM »
Pekka,

I've got a pair of their tweezers to go with my LCR and other meters from Peak Electronics http://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/jz_accessories.html (second item down on the right of the page) and I have no problems with them.

Dave

Those look better, how does the plating of the tip works? At that price there really should be no issues.

Looking at the picture: those leads look short too. Leads used to be longer. I know that the idea is to maintain interchangeability between 2 mm and 4 mm system, but I rather would take longer leads.

Maybe there is a good source for silicon test lead material for low volt application and I can prepare my own 1 metre leads.

Well you could have posted this a few days ago and saved me $5!
I looked at the ones from Peak, decided they were too expensive and ordered the cheap ones.

I'm not angry....Just disappointed.

:bang: very reason I brought this topic up. I'm eyeballing them if I could use dispence the tweezer and mount some test clips/crocks at the end. I hope the banana blug end will fit into your meter / test leads. This tweezer test lead is only half length.

Pekka

Offline wheeltapper

• Spixworth Norfolk
I used to be confused, now I just don't know.

Offline PekkaNF

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 06:16:47 AM »
I'm going to order better ones, once I'll order some other stuff as well. P&P will raise one item price substantially.

Anybody having any fun with these or other SMD tweezers? Mine are useless. I'm bit tempted to make my own as a temporary measure, they can't be worse than the one I bought.

But what material to use as tips?

Very tempted to buy smart tweezers type instrument, but original ones are not only nice, but bit pricey for random hobby use.

Pekka

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 05:44:11 AM »
Had to try to fix the one I bough. I noticed that the tips had some residue and the edges were really rough. I used some scotchbrite type 3M "hard sponge" (it is made for car paint roughing) and it did clean up the tips. Now I can actually measure something. Tip resistance was ok, not exceptionally high for such a low cost item.

I don't think there was any plating on the tips, it was that rough.

Then I used utility knife to scrape moulding flash out of the plastic "safety" cylindrical insulation OD. After a few minutes it did fit into Fluke meter.

See pictures. First one shows how short the test lead is in real life.

Secont picture shows the tips and banana plugs after minor violence.

I measured one springly stanless steel strip that looked like a perfect canditate for tweezer tips. Four meters of it had a resistance of about 1,22 ohms. Pretty sure that the material resistance will not be excessive here. I have intention to keep the tips short anyways.

How do you bond SS to epoxy laminate?

Is the crimp connection smartest for electrical connection?

Pekka