Author Topic: Degreaser cleaner  (Read 16598 times)

Offline drmico60

• mikesworkshop
Re: Degreaser cleaner
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2016, 08:24:47 AM »
I'd say that Elbow Grease is just a generic citric acid cleaner judging by the smell.

Citric acid has no smell and it is not a degreaser. The lemony /orangey smell of many cleaners is because they contain limonene which is derived from lemon or orange oil. Limonene is a powerful degreaser.
Mike

Offline SwarfnStuff

Re: Degreaser cleaner
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2016, 03:49:21 AM »
AH,
   John S, A man after my own heart - sniff the stuff and test the olfactory memory banks. Citrus cleaner may well be it then.   :palm:

Mike, True, its the citric oil we need, although citric acid does work on mild rust but I would get shot using up her lemons for that.

JH, thanks Jiff is readily available at the local supermarket and well worth trying.

I shall add it to my other cleaner isle standard - "Gumption" abrasive cleaner that works well in lapping the bore of model cylinders. Real cheap too as I nick a bit from the wife's cleaning supply. hmm, better check if she has some Jiff in there too.   :lol:

Shame really, "Gumption" and "Elbow Grease" would sound rather good together. Trouble is, with the normal use of elbow grease as one gets older its supply diminishes.

John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)