Author Topic: Magnification Optics & centring microscope  (Read 3035 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Magnification Optics & centring microscope
« on: April 17, 2016, 04:59:51 PM »
I'm really interested in being able to measure super small watch parts and more than that, be able to calculate and measure relative positions of parts. So for example it's one thing being able to measure the length of a watch screw but another the thickness of the head, the width of the main thread and the thickness and position of an imaginary shoulder..,for example. I would also like to be able to compare the mesh on my wheels and pinions and although an optical comparator would be ideal, it's not even a consideration at +£1000. Could this sort of thing be done on a microscope with graduations?

Also, on the theme of optics, has anyone got a good lathe optical center locator/ cantering microscope or similar for the milling machine and lathe? I believe there is a £100 kit by Hemmingway which seems reasonable. I also remember however. Many years ago someone making something similar on here using a pc video camera ...or am I just dreaming that?

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: Magnification Optics & centring microscope
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 05:13:23 PM »
Ok, we can partly ignore the center microscope... I asked this question 5 years ago:
http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=5591.0

Feel free to comment if you have any more thoughts however and I'm definitely keen to listen to ideas regarding the fine measuring,

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 02:30:29 AM »
I picked up a fully working Baty Projectorscope on eBay a few years back for under £100 and another failed to sell a couple of weeks ago starting at £70 so I got the seller to strip it for spares for me.

These project a very much magnified image onto a screen, in my case at x50, so using a graticule you can easily measure small parts. Mine has a stage moved by micrometer heads, so all you need is a fidicule line on the screen to move the image past.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline drmico60

• mikesworkshop
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 02:56:33 AM »
How about something like this:
http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/usb-microscopeshadowgraph.html
I have found this equipment very useful.
Mike