Author Topic: Arduino Based Watch Timer - timegrapher  (Read 7462 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Arduino Based Watch Timer - timegrapher
« on: May 01, 2016, 09:00:29 AM »

I'm struggling...can't even consider timing anything as I can't yet sense the light vibration of a tick toc! 

The issue is, I know piezo disks have been using as the input for these for a PC based software so know it is the correct component. It must be the opamp ... its all a bit above me now though. ... Anyone any suggestions?

Offline Joules

Re: Arduino Based Watch Timer - timegrapher
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 09:08:37 AM »
Engineers stethoscope and a microphone.

http://blog.evilwindowdog.com/post/33357457258/soundbeam-users

That is my setup but it can feed any application that can use a sound card.  Three point mount for your device under test, one of the points being the stethoscope probe.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 05:30:42 PM »
I must admit, I`ve posted over the Arduino forums as well and there have been some recommendations to switch a microphone but I find it odd that the 4-5 watch timers that are DIY (but none off Arduino) are all using piezo.

That said, after 10 minutes looking at the linked page - I`m still none the wiser what it is other than looking like a phone microphone and headset .... and how this would link to a digital input on an Arduino!?

Offline Joules

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 07:12:16 PM »
You could use the Arduino A to D but I'm unsure how accurate it's timing can be.  Yes the device is nothing more than a microphone, but by coupling it to the stethoscope you raise its sensitivity to picking up vibration, mechanical amplification.

Build an op amp comparator to start stop your timer count in the Arduino ?  Though I would be looking at a fast cpu to give as a many counts as possible between ticks for more accuracy.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.