Author Topic: My Sidewinder build  (Read 46100 times)

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
My Sidewinder build
« on: May 08, 2009, 08:52:01 PM »
Ok Im not so looking foward to the documentation of my Sidewinder build , but it needs to be done. I am definatley no man of words , so dont expect to be on the edge of your seat reading my post, but I will try to post as many pictures as I can to make up for my lack of words. I am posting this on a few forums so if something is mentioned that does not seem to fit that may be why.The foums Ill be posting this in are:

www.madmodder.net
www.edge.au.com/forum1/index.php
www.sembra.org
www.gstwin.com/

I figured that if you have any further interest in certain parts of this buggy build you may enjoy looking into those links as much as I enjoy frequenting them.

A small bit of history on my buggy interest.
I got my first Go kart when I was around 12 years old. I fell in love instantly. It is hard to explain to someone who has never rode but the thrill of being part of the machine got me hooked. It is similar to quad in how much is doen by shifting your body wight when driving, but lower center of gravity for better control and safety. It probably needs to be stated that my first time riding a quad ended with me trying to take a 90 degree turn wound out in third gear. It was unsuccesful to say the least.
   The issue was always that go karts were ususally 5 horsepower yard karts with no suspension and small wheel. I modifed what I had to suit my riding but always wanted more. I dreamed of building a fully indepent front and  rear suspended kart since I was about 16yo. I drew and drew and learned a bit about independent rear suspensions but there seems to be no body out there with the same interest. And then in 1998 my dad bought our first PC and we got the internet. And after the first few weeks of discovering women wear alot less clothing on the internet I started doing research on buggy with suspension. I still had little luck finding what I wanted. There was a guy in the North Dakota area who had a Buggy called "The Beast" It was very nice and fit what I wanted but it still used an industrial Briggs engine. These are great for certain uses but not for a powerful buggy, the RPM is just too low IMO.
   Then one day I came across The Edge Buggies website. I have to say I was a bit upset to start with. It was another case of someone allready doing what I thought was an original idea of my own. But I read and dreamed even more seeing what these guys down under were doing. And after maturing a bit and realizing that building something someone had allready proved the concept of , I decided I had to have an Edge Piranha. It has been a few years now since my last attempt to build  a buggy, which ended b/c of finance and life getting in the way. But I decided to commit a lot of my free time and play money this year to building a sidewinder. After completing I hope to drop back and convert to the Piranha . But building the Sidewinder will give me something to ride and decide what mods will best suit my type of riding.
   With the current infux of Chineese buggies the hobby has really grown. People are begining to see the fun and safety of having a buggy over a quad. Dont worry quad guys you will still have your place. But it just gives us another option out there of toys to ride. And with the growth of popularity has also came the organization of "Mini Buggy" Clubs and the fact that Mini Buggies are being welcomed to many of the offroad parks and OHV trails across the country.
I came across the SEMBRA site a few months back and it has been a lot of encouragement to keep the build on a steady pace. These guys travel the SouthEastern US riding at different places and I'm itching to go ride.

Well I guess it turned out I had a little more to say than I thought it would, I would like to thank all those who have been a help to this point either with finding part, anwering questions, moral support or encouragement. There is still a lot more to do but I am well underway and commited now. I hope to be done by the end of the fall but really want to be done by August to catch some riding with the SEMBRA guys.

If this is posted in the wrong place or is not welcomed to the forums please move or delete.

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
Re: My Sidewinder build
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 08:52:52 PM »
I did not take a pic of tacking the upper and lower frame together but it was the most straight foward part of the fabrications so far. I used a piece of thick plywood as a template. I then snapped a centerline and drew out the locations of tubes. So It was then just simply putting together the puzzle pieces.

The first few pics are of me lineing up the upper and lower frame.

I used jack stands to set the angle of the upper frame, while trying to align the center of the two frame members. You can also see in the last picture the two nose pieces tacked in. So after they were in place and two vertical pieces of tube tacked to hold the angle of the upper frame I took the buggy to my work to fully weld up the current progress.

Im a decent welder , especially with a mig but I did not like how some of the welds came out. Luckily I was able to grind down the worst of them. At work , most of our welded jobs are thick structural steel so I have gotten used to welding it I guess, This was good clean steel but slightly on the thinner side than what I am used to.

This was the first part of the project I aquired, It is a 1989 Suzuki GS500 . It is not a recommended engine to use buy Tony at "The Edge" (maker of "The SideWinder" plans). But A fellow Sidewinder builder is using this same engine and It was highly recommended by Eric (Brass_Machine @ MadModder) . And most importantly I got the bike for an unbeliveable price. After selling the handle bars, headlight and fenders, I recouped my money on the bike. I came across the GS500.com forum and Mr. Buddha there built a set of carbs for me for a very good price as well. He jetted for the aftermarket slip on exhaust that came with the bike, and the K&N filter I will be running. He also took out all the soft twenty year old  Jap bolts and replaced them with new stainless steel allen bolts.

This is the bike after some disassembly.

The Carbs.

Here is a video of the bike running.

I made a mistake and hooked the fuel line to the overflow tube on the carbs. The bike ran with a little tinkering , but once I hooked the fuel line to the correct inlet on the carbs it fired perfectly.
I have to say I was so pleased with the sound of the bike. I was a bit worried of having a buggy that looked mean but sounded like a pissed bumble bee.

Now it is onto the rollbars.I did not take any pictures of bending the bars. I had a a local shop quote bending them for me but he wanted $350. Yeah right. So I decided to bend them myself.
Any of you who have messed with bending tube know it can be difficult not to have kinks in the bend. So what I did was weld a piece of tube to the welding table at work that was the same diameter as was needed to get the right inside bend radius I needed. The mandrel tube was just slightly longer than the diameter of the roll bar tube. I then welded a plate on tupe of the tube to keep the roll bar tube from kinking out. It took a bit of reheating and rebending because of an error I should have caught but other than that the roll bars came out ok. The fixture worked great but I had to reheat and rebend some so I got so kinking. Ill get over it.

Today I cut and welded the bonnet bars into place. They came out well. They look to be symetrical which is the most important part. Not quiet as much progress as Iwould have liked to make today but I got lazy.

On the todo list now is,
Receive parts from waterjet guy and weld into place
   parts include suspension mounts, misc mounts, and pedal boxes
Order steel and plastic for suspension arms, bushings, and axle.
Fabricate suspension arms. Machine axle.
Order shocks and other misc parts from The Edge.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 11:02:46 PM »
1st. Welcome back Tim! We have missed you.

I am assuming you have written this out and it is the same post in all the forums? Cause you know it is very welcome here!

BTW...  :jaw: That frame looks fantastic!!!! Awesome fabrication skills!

Keep it coming. You better finish soon, my pal in NC was just up and has invited me, the missus and the little guy down for a visit... I want to see this in person... running!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 01:42:53 AM »
Good Job Tim

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Nice buy with the engine  :thumbup:

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 10:24:45 AM »
1st. Welcome back Tim! We have missed you.

I am assuming you have written this out and it is the same post in all the forums? Cause you know it is very welcome here!

BTW...  :jaw: That frame looks fantastic!!!! Awesome fabrication skills!

Keep it coming. You better finish soon, my pal in NC was just up and has invited me, the missus and the little guy down for a visit... I want to see this in person... running!

Eric

Thanks Eric, Yes my time has been stretched neat to the max lately, Nothing big , just small responsibilities always poping up. If you come down to the Carolinas you had better swing by finished or not, Im sure between Steve and I we will find something for you to druel over for a bit. Just give me a heads up if possible, cause I never know what weekend I have free. Id hate to miss your trip cause Im sleeping in a field somewhere with scouts. LOL

Tim
 :nrocks:

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 03:11:20 PM »
Well .................. for a man of few words that's one pretty impressive write up Tim ............... 

Thanks for taking the time to share it with us, impressive looking build so far, looking forward to more  :headbang:

CC

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 07:05:07 PM »
Well .................. for a man of few words that's one pretty impressive write up Tim ............... 

CC

Perhaps so, but just think 1 picture = 1000 words. He posted 20 pictures. That would have been 20,000 words. You'd still be reading this thread.  :lol:

Nice write up Tim. Can't wait to see the finished product racing around on the track or were ever.  :D

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 07:54:14 PM »
Thanks guys, Ill definatley keep you posted. This will be a long term project that will never be completely finished.

Offline seanol

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 01:37:04 PM »
zeusrekning
Where are you located? I am in Las Vegas and can bend 1", 1.25" and 1.75" tubing if you need help.

Let me know,
Sean

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 04:32:53 PM »
Thanks Sean, If any more tubing needs bent I will prob just invest in a bender. What would you recommend if I had to buy a low budget bender?

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 12:11:12 AM »
Tim...
OUTSTANDING!!!  Guys, I've seen this project up close and personal. Tim puts out some excellent work between all the distractions he has to deal with. Glad to see him finally taking a bit of his time to have some fun. I'm gonna be keeping a close eye on this project. Tim, stock up on iced tea... I'll be dropping in on ya.

Steve

Offline seanol

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 01:25:44 AM »
zeusrekning
I went with a JD2 and converted it to vertical bending and air over hydraulic. You can also get plans on the web to build one using Pro Tools dies. Try http://www.offroadfabnet.com/index.php as they are pretty active for that.

Good luck and nice start,
Sean

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 09:06:46 PM »
Ok guys , I finally made some more progress on the buggy :D

Ive been working on the suspension components for the last couple free weekends.
I made a fixture ,per the Sidewinder plans, to help build the front arms and make them symettrical.
The front arms were a pain for me to make because it was alot of grinding to fit check then grind again.

The rear swing-arm intimidated me but it was actually easier in my opinion, mostly because all the angled cuts were well drawn out in the plans.

The biggest challenge was coping (fish mouthing) the rear brace to match the axle tube. I wasnt feeling up to cutting the angles to match and grinding to fit so I rigged the part up onto my drill press.

It worked well once I got everything aligned and postioned as needed. The hole saw was not to happy to say the least but we came through it.

Using an annular cutter for the pivot tube hole.

Here are some pics of the nearly finished pieces. Still need some berrys knocked off and cleaned up.

Heres the link to my photobucket, There are alot of redundant pics but some that arent.

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii41/zeusrekning/Sidewinder/?start=0

So as I sit, the frame and suspension is "basically" complete.I am waitng to get my parts from the water jet guy, I have places my order from "The Edge"
I would guess mounting the motor and making the tank are the next big hurdles.

P.S.
I just have to throw these in.These are a couple pics of my old kart.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 01:36:17 AM »
Well done Tim you've made some real great progress fantastic bit of fabrication.

Thanks for showing

Stew

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 07:48:18 PM »
!!!UPDATE TIME!!!

Well I got my stuff from The Edge this week.
Im still waiting on all the parts from my waterjet guy, looks like it may
be a couple of weeks on that.

So I knocked out the front spindles. I used preheat treated 4140,
It comes in around 30 rockwell. It is not too hard but stiffened up a bit.
And machines very well, IMO better that annealed.

Here are some pics of the turning, I didnt take any pics of coping the end
to fit the spindle tube but it was straight foward. I just made a 5deg angled cut with an endmill.

Today I went and picked up some aluminum for the gas tank.
Then I decided to work on a tank lid. I really wanted to use the
cap off the GS500 tank. It is a cool flush mount cap.So I had to make a recessed
piece to weld to the tank top, so that I could use the flush mount cap.

Heres a pic of the tank. I had no intention of using it originally
so sitting out side it got mud and paint on it. :)

Under the cap.

First thing I did was make the center plug out of some stainless steel.
This is where the locking section goes.

Next was making the recessed piece that would weld to the tank.

Sawing took almost 45min with my dull blade.

Chucked it up, faced and turned back as much as I could.
Then flipped it and faced to length and turned back the other half.
During the last facing operation I used the turning tool to scribe a center line for locating.

Then, I bored the center section, to the correct depth for the cap.

One thing I noticed , was that the center of the filler tube (SS piece)
Needed to be off center of the recess in the alum. On the GS tank I measued the offset at 3/16".
This has to do with the way the cap hinges and for the locking mechanisim to clear.

I mounted the 4 jaw chuck and got my part mounted so it was offcenter .188".

I then pressed my SS piece in, I wanted to keep my orientation in the 4 jaw chuck so I could bore the
SS piece so I used the tailstock as to help persuade the two to mate.

Well I just realized I didnt take a pic of the finished part. LOL
After that last pic I bored the SS to diameter, then put a 60degree taper like is on the
original. Then polished it us.

Here is a pic with the cap mounted.

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 01:26:58 AM »
Good job Tim  :clap:   :clap:

Real nice bit of machining  :thumbup:

Stew

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 02:15:18 AM »
Crackin` project. Crackin`filler cap job!  :thumbup:

Well done Tim.....  :clap:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 08:42:57 PM »
I havent put together a build update but got alot of progress done this long weekend. So lets call these "teaser shots".

Now keep in mind, I never welded alum till last week. I wanted to weld the tank myself so I started practicing then.

Waterjet parts

Pedal

Pedal Boxes

And the buggy as she sits

I just realized the tank pic above was just tacked so here ya go

Ok , Mabey It is one of the better welds on the whole tank. But who would post the worst one.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 01:54:26 AM »
I`ve never been a welder, Tim........  ::)

But your work looks good to me!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 08:34:24 PM »
Ok guys, here are fresh pics.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 09:51:14 PM »
Tim,

Nice job welding there. :thumbup:

I see there is no differential. Hows that work for going around corners?

Bernd

bogstandard

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 10:40:11 PM »
I was going to ask the same question as Bernd, but he beat me to it.

That is a wonderful bit of kit you are making there Tim.

If I was a few years younger, I think I would be making one alongside it.

Very nicely done.

Bogs

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 01:49:24 AM »
Thanks great progress Tim  :thumbup: interested to see how the drive chain and differential is going to be set up.

Stew

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 01:59:20 AM »
Tim
Are both rear wheels driving or is it set up like smaller carts, with one wheel running free? If it's powering both rear wheels, that sucker is going to push badly into the corners. Some damned large oaks grow in the area where you intend to play...(grin)

I'll be dropping in tomorrow to give it the hairy eyeball... :smart:

Steve

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 07:41:48 AM »
There is no differential in the rear. Trying to achieve maximum traction first steering second. I still have no idea how this thing will handle but, in my old cart more steering was done by brake and throttle manipulation that with the front wheels. Thats was the part I enjoyed so much. I could go into a turn at WOT and turn , tap breaks, and hit the gas again while throwing my weight and it could spin around. Ive gotten quite a bit heavier since then but this buggy is much heavier than my last kart.
Steve give me a call. Take note what time this post was made , lol. I have been up since 7AM on a Friday  :bugeye:  Goal today is to get throttle and clutch cables, brake line, and some exhaust tube.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 07:45:25 AM »
That's looking really good there, it'll not be too long before it's a runner.  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 10:29:51 AM »
Nice job Tim!

I have start planning my trip south now...

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 08:48:51 PM »
Awesome Eric , Come on down.  :clap:

Offline cedge

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 11:20:27 PM »
Guys...
I got the chance to see this gnarley beast in the flesh again today and I've got to hand Tim his due. The workmanship is better than his photos. I still wouldn't climb out of my death bed to drive it, but I can admire the workmanship he's put into it. I took a friend, Bryce, along and introduced him to Tim and his project. Bryce has about 30 years of VW background and rail buggies were his first love. When I dropped him off at home, he was still chattering about wishing he were younger so he could build one and go ride with Tim.

Tim... you might have a new shop rat now that he's found your garage...LOL

Steve 

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2009, 08:04:55 PM »
Man Steve has the coolest friends. And Im not just talking about me. Its always cool to meet these guys and hear there old war stories. I may need to clean up the garage before you guys come by again. The mess usually doesn't bother me too much but its just aweful now.

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2009, 06:42:36 PM »
Here are some teaser pics of the current progress.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2009, 02:06:08 AM »
That`s really shaping up nicely now Tim!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

bogstandard

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2009, 02:55:09 AM »
I think someone has been burning the midnight oil Tim.

That is lot of progress in the right direction since we last saw it.

That is a wonderous bit of kit you have made there, with your own two hands. You have the right to smile and feel good about yourself. Very well done indeed.

As I said before, if I was only 30 years younger, I would be copying what you are showing.

It must now be getting towards the testing stage. But PLEASE, make sure you get your full harness in there first, there are a lot of metal and sticky out bits, and we don't want you coming to harm before it is finished. There are a lot of people who thought a quick spin up the road would do no harm, and came to regret it.

I am not being a nanny, just trying to protect another great artisan, so you can carry on showing us good things in the future.

John

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2009, 07:35:04 AM »
I appreciate your concern John. The 5-point cam lock harness is ready to be installed. I wanted to put it in for the pics this weekend but I will wait until all welding is for sure completed. I still have a few bits to tack to the buggy and I dont want that stray spark landing on the harness.
I do hope to be testing in the next couple of weekends.   :headbang:

It has been a long weekend, and now its time for work.  :coffee: :whip:

Zeusrekning

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2009, 09:17:39 AM »
 :jaw:

Tim... that is coming along nicely. You can see the finish line now! I remember when we were talking about what you were going to use for an engine. Wow. looking nice!

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2009, 12:04:43 PM »
Tim,

Looking good. What are you going to cover the outside with or will it be airconditioned like you show. :lol:

Bernd

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 05:03:43 PM »
Tim... that is coming along nicely. You can see the finish line now! I remember when we were talking about what you were going to use for an engine. Wow. looking nice!

Eric

Thanks Eric. And I appreciate your help with engine selection. Well..... until there are issues with the GS and I may be calling.  :) The finish line is def. closer than it was , but It sure seems like as soon as I think I see it I find it is just another bend in the course.

Tim,
Looking good. What are you going to cover the outside with or will it be airconditioned like you show.

Bernd

Thanks, Berrnd. The small triangular section in front of the engine, and the gas tank will be covered in tread plate. There will be a cover on the front, Hood aka Bonnet. Other than that it will be redneck air conditioned. Using the abundant and environment friendly red clay we have here instead of freon. OH and full skid plate on the bottom of course.
Tim

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2009, 05:32:23 PM »
That's looking great Tim .......... I'm sure you can hardly wait to give it a spin, enjoy, you've earned it ........... great build ........... be nice if you could get a Pal to video the test run  :beer:

CC

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2009, 06:27:38 PM »
Protect certain parts of the vehicle and your bottom, the rest is open air. Go it.

Just went back to see when you started on the frame work. Not bad for about 3 months work, if I counted correctly.

About what HP do you think the motor is at. Just wondering since I had a moment here of building something with a motorcycle engine it it. Only through a transmission to make it run slower.

Bernd

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2009, 07:21:50 PM »
Tim  :jaw: !!

Now that's a fun buggy  :headbang:

I've only one thing I will add, it has to do with Johns safty concerns...

I met a guy recently who had his arm come flailing out of a rolling landrover that he was hill climbing in years ago. A great deal of surgury later he can use his arm but not very well. ( arm looked like a prop from a sci fi horror!! :bugeye:  )

I also have driven some quite quick little buggies called Honda Pilots, now these had interesting little straps to keep your hands tied to the steering wheel in case of a roll, this will only work if your lock to lock is very close and possibly less than 90 degrees each way!

So I was thinking that some sort of bungee to make it so that your hands could move relativly freely when steering but not come outside of the cage might be a very good addition? After all, you need those hands to repair and build more stuff  :dremel:

It is the kind of vehicle you might go a bit nuts in after all :thumbup:

Looks great, And if I had the space I'd be very tempted to have a go at similar (Cause I'm bout that 30 years younger that John was talking about  :)  )

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2009, 08:29:30 PM »
CC - I will have the wifey record my test run and videos will def be posted.

Bernd - The GS500 is supposed to put out 52HP, on top of that I have a slip on exhaust, K&N filter, and big jets.

Ralph - Im still waiting on you to come over to Flat Rock. If you do Id be glad to let you have a ride. And the strap you speak of are wrist restraints and I looked into them, But just google "wrist restraints" and see what comes up lol. One of the Aussie guys posted that he had a roll over. The first roll he was fine I think, the second one he burnt,cut, and broke his arm bad. I do have the habit in the few times I have wrecked things to lock my arms. I know this is not necessarily a good habit and cant be depended on but.....

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2009, 02:54:49 AM »
Im still waiting on you to come over to Flat Rock.
    So am I   :(   (one day.... When the funds have settled down!)

But just google "wrist restraints" and see what comes up lol.
So I did as you said...... What's wrong with these?

I had to go through 6 websites to find this pic! The things a man has to do for a joke  ::)  :lol:  (I'll prob' delete these after a short while!??)

Still..... I think a bungee (other big bits of elastic are available I assume?) would allow a lot of freedom but still keep your arms safe.

Well... It's your ride and you do as all of us would..... Your own way  :ddb:

I'm quite looking forward to the video on this one :)

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2009, 12:00:49 PM »
LOL Man Ralph those are all me right there.  :lol:

The wrist restraints that I looked at mount to cam buckle on my harness. From what I have read they really are a must on race vehicles and buggies. I really dont like the idea too much but I will wind up getting a set in the future.  It seems a bit scary having my wrist held in place but after hearing about the aussie guys wreck I think its worth it.

If anyone has experiance with the chime in please.

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2009, 05:15:09 PM »
Ok fellas, Im am rounding third now I believe.
I fitted the skid plate this weekend, then removed it, then refitted it,
Then removed it, well I think you get the point. It is finally on for good.
Well until its time to paint.

I also made the dash and fitted the tach into the dash.

Plus I got the bonnet made. It came out ok but was a PITA. I hae a small brake press but the 1/8"
aluminum was a bit much for it to bend. So plan B was the work bench and a big rubber mallet.

And I mounted the rear brake light along with a plate for the winch to mount to.

Next is wiring and plumbing for fuel and I am ready to test drive.

bogstandard

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2009, 05:30:16 PM »
Looking better every time we see it Tim.

You really have done a good job on that machine.

It makes my shoulders sag thinking about what I am missing because my age is getting in the way.

Bogs.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2009, 05:38:33 PM »
Me too, that looks like a real bag of fun you have built there.... :clap:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2009, 05:49:52 PM »
and me three  ::) ............ methinks your gonna have a good time with that Tim  :headbang:

CC

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2009, 10:30:27 PM »
Hear I am, sitting at the computer checking out the latest pics.  The wife walks behind me, takes one look and says, "Don't even think about building one of those!"

Now, what made her think I wanted one?  Was it the slobbering noises?
Creating scrap, one part at a time

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2009, 04:39:53 AM »
That's funny, mine says the opposite.... :)
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2009, 06:27:20 AM »
Getting back to safety again Tim.

That centre boss on the steering wheel does look a bit hard.

I am not talking about about you hitting it, as you have a good harness, but it hitting you in the case of a nose shunt or dive in.

Things do move in mysterious ways when pushed to the limits.

Slightly concerned John.

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2009, 08:23:05 PM »
John,

My dad actually mentioned trying to fab up a break away steering column. But I think that may cause more problems in the future. The steering wheel came with a nice little horn cover , but I'm not sure how to fit it. Im definitely open to suggestions though.

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2009, 08:16:52 PM »
I got the buggy finished and done some testing.

well heres this eves update.

I made a trip around the block. Prob doing 50ish.

Came to the house and left again.
Got to the stop sign right below my house.
I noticed I had some wobble in the rear and the engine was running funny.
I slowed way down b/c I had forgot to turn the fuel pump on.
Well as I was stopping the wheel hub came off.
It was the hub that gets welded on and I ground it flush , not leaving enough weld. If I hadn't accidently left the fuel pump off I would have been at decent speed.
Nothing got damage other than my pride b/c I had thought about adding another weld to the back of the hub and forgot.

It will be an easy fix in the morn then Ill do some low speed trail testing.

BTW. High speed is plenty ok for me so so rekon I work on the low speed.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2009, 08:20:40 PM »
Yeah b ut I bet you had the bestest time for years....... :)

Easy fix mate and no-one was hurt..... :thumbup:

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2009, 08:24:20 PM »
Nice to hear your up and running, the snagging problems seem solvable pretty easily though, so overall no prob's as far as I can see ........... enjoy  :thumbup: ................    don't forget pics and a video though  :beer:

CC

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2009, 03:40:33 AM »
It`s such a fabulous feeling, as you set off up the road for the first time.  :thumbup:  :D

Small, or even medium setbacks are inevitable..........  :scratch:

Well done.... Enjoy!  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2009, 05:21:57 PM »
So that Gs engine is good enough?

Glad to hear it is finished and ended up being an easy fix.

Eric
Science is fun.

Offline zeusrekning

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2009, 06:39:10 PM »
Yes sir Eric.
I need to do some tuning on it but she is strong.
Uploaded some pics today.
http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii41/zeusrekning/Sidewinder/

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2009, 06:59:49 PM »
Yes sir Eric.
I need to do some tuning on it but she is strong.
Uploaded some pics today.
http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii41/zeusrekning/Sidewinder/

zeusrekning

You have built quite the machine there. I have been following along on the build and I am impressed.  :ddb: :ddb: :ddb:

I hope you have many safe hours of enjoyment with it.  :D

Cheers :beer: :beer: (for after the run)

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Baldrocker

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2009, 07:30:30 PM »
zeusrekning
Way to go! :thumbup:
Now comes the fun bit: TWEAKING :bang:
BR