Author Topic: Elmers #25, my first engine project  (Read 62801 times)

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
Re: Elmers #25, my first engine project
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2009, 03:14:37 PM »
Ok, managed to get a couple of hours in the workshop today. Started off by setting up and drilling the offset hole for the crank pin.

The more observant of you will have noticed that the Crank-disc is not properly seated on the 3-2-1 block and so did not drill square :doh:. I didnt notice that until I'd finished today and as I'll explain in a bit I may have to re-bore the pin-hole square.

Anyway, after that I found a use for the screwed-up piston, I turned it down to make the crankshaft bush shown below in the middle of the other hacked out bits.

I then chucked up a length of 6mm 303 stainless to turn down for the crankshaft, I turned down to 5mm for the main shaft and a short section 4mm to fit the crank-disc.

Then I did something similar for the Crank-pin, except I started with some 4mm stainless, turned it down to 2.4mm for the press fit into the crankdisc and 2.3mm for the easyfit into the conrod.
I also pressed the crankshaft bush into the frame, after I cleaned up the frame,

then did a little assembly just for fun.

Once I did the assembly and tried to turn over the crank I found that it was sticking at TDC and BDC  :bang: After a little wondering I checked the squareness of the crank-pin ( it's amazing how hard it is to use a 4" engineers square on a part that's only 17mm wide and the pin's only 3.5mm high !!)

I then realised that the crank-pin is not square and is what is binding up twice per revolution. I've not totally decided what to do about this. I could pull the pin out and re-bore the hole wider and square and then make a new pin to fit. Or to just try and bend the pin to square. I'm leaning towards just pulling the pin and reboring and then make a new pin.

That's all for today, It's getting exciting now, I can nearly smell the finish line ( I like mixing metaphors )  :lol:

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

bogstandard

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2009, 04:11:24 PM »
Just get a bit of say 1/4" rod about 3" long. Face the end and drill a hole in the end the same size as the crankpin.

Use that to tweak the pin straight. When the faced off bit of rod is sitting perfectly flush on the crankdisk, you should be square.

Bogs

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2009, 04:24:45 PM »
Just get a bit of say 1/4" rod about 3" long. Face the end and drill a hole in the end the same size as the crankpin.

Use that to tweak the pin straight. When the faced off bit of rod is sitting perfectly flush on the crankdisk, you should be square.

Bogs

What a great tip  :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup: :clap: I'll try that tomorrow.

Thanks Bogs  :thumbup:

Tim

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2009, 03:20:03 PM »
Yesterday I managed to make a start on the flywheel, and got one side shaped (to a fashion  :scratch:), and today I bored and reamed the 5mm hole for the crankshaft, then remounted to machine the other side, centred it using the 5mm hole as a reference and then shaped the 2nd side. ( I was so excited about getting so close to completion I forgot to take any pics of these parts  :) )

I then turned a some 6mm brass rod to a close fit for the flywheel, and threaded the end M5, and mounted the flywheel to it to clean up the rim and make sure (hopefully) that I dont have a wobbly flywheel.

After that I drilled and tapped the flywheel for the setscrew

I then turned to the air-intake-to-aquarium-type-tubing-adaptor-thingy. I used the same 6mm brass rod and turned some down to 4mm and then threaded it M4 and then bored it through with a 2.2mm bit

Then after some jiggery-pokey with a parting tool,

it was over to the spin-indexer to make a nut-shaped bit.

At this point I did a quick mock-up of all the parts and positioned the crank for transferring the hole position from the exhaust of the frame to the cylinder. Then after removing the indexer from the mill and clamping down the vice, I drilled the cylinder with a 1.6mm bit.

I then found a spring that was about the right size and assembled all the bits together, and here's the result.

( notice the immaculate chatter on the flywheel )

The other side

Imagine my joy, now to get it running. But how? I have a little air compressor, but no way to attach the length of 3mm (id) tubing to it  :bang:

So I decided to build an adaptor. I just copied the connector off one of my air-nailer, and bored a 4mm hole up the centre.

I then made another air-intake-to-aquarium-type-tubing-adaptor-thingy as above, except I haven't milled the nut-shaped-bit on it yet as I had to come in to make me grub, and that's all I got done.

So that's all I've got for you today, hopefully I'll get it running in the next couple of days and then I can post up a video for you all to laugh look at :lol:

Tim

« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 03:24:08 PM by spuddevans »

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2009, 03:34:08 PM »
Can we have a count down to lift off 5-4-3-2-purrrrrrrrrrrrr  :nrocks:

Good luck

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2009, 03:47:28 PM »
Lovely, it's gonna run  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2009, 03:52:48 PM »
That's definitely a runner, I'd put my house on it!  :beer:  :ddb:

I think I might have to get an er collet chuck, then I could use my collets that I have for the milling machine. Will be much more accurate than the 3 jaw and won't mark the workpiece.

Nick

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2009, 04:31:32 PM »
Tim,

Very nice on the detail. I really liked that hose barb you made.  :thumbup:

Can't wait for the video  :nrocks:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline John-Som

• Start Model Engineering
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2009, 06:27:38 PM »
A superb piece of work Tim with a great write up and the quality of those photographs is simply outstanding.  There's no doubt with your attention to detail you have a smooth runner on your hands - like everyone else I am looking forward to seeing the video.

JohnS
start-model-engineering.co.uk - a friendly place for model engineering beginners

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2009, 07:50:40 PM »
Tim,

This is reminding me of the fun I had making my little "Elmer"   :dremel: .

It's looking good  :ddb:

Your gonna love it when this runs  :thumbup:  (should only need 5-20Psi )

Looking forward to the running  :)

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2009, 04:17:38 AM »
Tim,

Don`t ask where I`ve been till now.........  ::)

I`ve only just read this posting, from end to end!  :hammer:

What a crackin` adventure!  :thumbup:

Very well told, very well shown....  Blummin well done!  :clap: :clap:

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2009, 09:47:30 AM »
Nice!

I love your use of "don't have the part so I will just make it instead"! The engine is turning out nicely. Awaiting the video  :clap:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2009, 02:56:07 PM »
Well, a little update for you all.

I started today with the air-hose adaptor that I started last post, I drilled the other end and tapped it M6, and then I milled a flat and then drilled and tapped M4 for the air-hose-barb-thingy.

Then back onto the lathe, I chucked a 6mm brass rod, and turned a 5mm to 3.5mm taper on the end. This is gonna be the inner tapered pin that will block or let a controlled amount of air through to the air outlet.

Then I threaded the rod M6, and then knurled the end

(notice the slight mess-up on the threading, I hadnt got enough of the rod sticking out and didnt match the thread up well enough during the 1st pass on the 2nd section  :doh:)

But when put together it fits and works ok. There is a little leak of air from around the knurled/threaded area when the home-brew valve is open, but not so much that would bother me at the moment.

I then made up a round base out of some ali bar I had, drilled it and counterbored for the mounting screws, and also drilled and tapped a center hole M6. The center tapped hole is for mounting the Ali base onto a wider turned wooden base that I plan to make. (if folk are interested I'll do a project log on that too)
Here's the little wobbler on its little base.

And then, (drumroll please)

It runs  :D :D :D :D :D :D
 :ddb: :nrocks: :ddb: :nrocks: :ddb: :nrocks:

Here's a little video to feast your eyes on. (please ignore the stilted voice-over and the overly long presentation) (sorry bout the link, I can't seem to embed the video, I have the code for embedding into a webpage but it doesnt seem to work on the forum)

http://velvet-art.smugmug.com/gallery/6979245_4Y8j6#538667142_HuiNP-S-LB  (smaller web version)

http://velvet-art.smugmug.com/gallery/6979245_4Y8j6#538667142_HuiNP-M-LB (larger version for those with higher speed connections)

Thank you all for following this, and for helping me out with plenty of tips and suggestions.

Tim

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2009, 03:25:34 PM »
PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRFECT

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well done Tim just by your nice methodical approach I just knew it would be  Runner.

What next

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2009, 03:46:04 PM »
Congratulations Tim ................... nice runner, good feeling ain't it  :clap: :thumbup: :beer:

CC

Offline websterz

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2009, 04:09:37 PM »
Just now joining this thread and I have to say that it has some of the best close-up camera work I have seen!! There's a fingerprint there clear enough to get you convicted... :lol:

What camera are you using?
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2009, 04:12:12 PM »
Thanks CC and Stew, it really is a great feeling to see it run. I think with a better fitting piston it might run a bit better.

Honestly I really dont think I would've finished by now if it wasnt for the great help found in the members of this forum. :mmr: I've learnt so much and am grateful for Bogs advice to start on a smaller, simpler engine before embarking on a larger, more complicated one as I've learnt a lot from this build that (hopfully) will stand me in good stead for the next one.

What next

After doing a little woodturning to make a bigger base for this one, the next project will be for the mill, a belt drive conversion, then a few little tools and handy workshop gadgets and then I'll be starting on Bogs "PaddleDucks" engine.

Tim

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2009, 04:21:44 PM »
Just now joining this thread and I have to say that it has some of the best close-up camera work I have seen!! There's a fingerprint there clear enough to get you convicted... :lol:

What camera are you using?

Thanks Websterz, I'm using a Canon 400d Dslr(rebel XTi), 17-85mm lens (mostly at the 85mm end on these pics) @f7.1 ish, lit by a Canon 580ex flash bounced off a grubby ceiling.

Photography is another hobby of mine, and I love doing macro shots. Here's one from my gallery

On that one the green thing is a blade of grass and the biggest drops of water are only 2-3mm wide :D

Tim

Offline NickG

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2009, 04:30:45 PM »
Wow! That is amazing, never seen anything like it!  :bow:

The engine is great too!  :bow: The feeling is immense when an engine runs for the first time and yours runs perfectly, it's difficult to get single cyl wobblers to run slowly because of the way the power is delivered and the stroke is pretty short on yours. I personally wouldn't bother with the new piston, don't think it'll improve matters greatly, it'd be difficult to get it any better. It will improve with running in too.

It looks a perfect choice for your first engine but you've also used many techniques that will stand you in good stead for your next project. I managed to make a working stirling engine of my own design but the practice i've seen you use in this project are much more sound than mine. As Stew said your overall methodical approach was spot on too.

Well done.

Nick

Offline websterz

« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2009, 04:32:23 PM »
...bounced off a grubby ceiling...

Ahhh...your secret has been revealed!! :lol:

Todd
"In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.  Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal."
 :med:

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
    • My Photo website
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2009, 04:39:45 PM »
Thanks Nick,

Ahhh...your secret has been revealed!! :lol:

Arrghhh, darn it!!!! My secret's out, me and my big mouth  :wack:

Tim

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2009, 05:10:17 PM »
Now that's what we like..... "Wooo Hooo!!"  :lol:   :thumbup:

You must have felt good seeing that run?  :thumbup:

Nice video, and website  :thumbup:  Although do you know there's some wierd envelope thing with writing on it all over your pic's?  :scratch:

:lol:

Nice work Tim  :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline John-Som

• Start Model Engineering
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2009, 05:49:10 PM »
Brilliant Tim !  You no doubt have a grin a mile wide - I must warn you it will last for at least a week, probably longer. I guess you are well and truly hooked and there is no known cure.

JohnS

by the way I think there are quite a few of us who would welcome some tips on workshop photography ???
start-model-engineering.co.uk - a friendly place for model engineering beginners

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2009, 05:54:41 PM »
Fantastic stuff Tim, good on you....

Don't start the paddleduck, you'll have it finished before I do, about ten days before I started from the speed you've been going with this one.... :lol:

I still can't get over your pic's, you'll have to give us some lessons as John S suggested...really shown me the quality of my screen  :bugeye:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2009, 06:23:01 PM »
Nice pic  :thumbup:

I use a 350D, good tool to be sure  :headbang: .............. though near the lathe and mill I tend to use the cheapo point n' press  :med:

Something someone said to me on another forum a little while back, don't use the same material for cylinder and piston ........... can result in problems ......... I was using Aluminium at the time mind, perhaps some of the guys can throw a little light on this  :scratch:

Cracking lil' runner though  :thumbup:

CC