Author Topic: Whay slicing program are you using?  (Read 10263 times)

Offline ddmckee54

Whay slicing program are you using?
« on: May 06, 2016, 02:33:08 PM »
As a relative newbie to 3D printing, I've had my printer running for a little over 2 months now, I thought I'd see how big of an anthill I can kick over by asking which slicing program the rest of you are using.

I'm using the latest stable version of Slic3r and I like it, though it still gives me a severe beating occasionally.  While I was waiting for my 1st printer to be delivered, long story - suffice it to say Ebay agreed with me that I was getting screwed and refunded my money, I had time to play with both Cura and Slic3r by running print simulations of many 3D objects through both programs to compare them.  There's a number of places to download 3D models that won't cost you any ducets.  One thing that I did notice was that Cura would sometimes  - not always - miss the required support and try to start printing an object in mid-air, Slic3r didn't seem to have that problem.  That's my reason for choosing Slic3r, what are you running and why?

Don
Too many irons, not enough fire.

Offline Joules

Re: Whay slicing program are you using?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 03:42:19 PM »
Simplify3D (commercial) I use it for business.  Second on my list is Cura, cut my teeth on it.

Joules
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline Pete49

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 01:36:33 AM »
Cura DGO as it came with my kit printer. Now that its running better I'm looking to go to the latest version (not betta) of it if I can get the printer to run with it which I think I can as I now have the settings right   :poke:
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline picclock

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 03:36:04 AM »
Hi ddmckee54
IMHO Cura 2.1 (beta). It has bugs but nothing that effects excellent GCode. Lots of bells and whistles like automatic structure support for overhangs (if ticked), wall option to prevent drafts warping plastic, and accurate size adjustment - not scaling but offset - so if your 10mm part is 10.3mm, and your 100mm part is 100.3mm you can take out that error.

Best Regards

picclock
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

geoff_s

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 03:56:34 AM »
slic3r at the moment while I sort out a few issues with my Ord Hadron printer.
I plan to give Cura a try as I want to use Octoprint on a Raspberry Pi as a controller.

Geoff

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 05:17:56 AM »
I find this slicer is the best - can set the slices just as thick or thin as you like, just don't put your fingers in the wrong place  :lol:

(Sorry Don - couldn't resist  :clap:)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Joules

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 08:21:08 AM »
Funny you show that Andrew, what is a good meat slicer to get as we are getting a green egg for cooking, and slicing our own cooked meat would be handy to make the Sunday joint last a little longer and justify buying a bigger joint.   Cura has proved totally useless as the steppers keep stalling with the bread knife dragged backwards and forwards.

:scratch:

The bandsaw doesn't do bad, but its a bugger cleaning up the Pâté
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 09:51:50 AM »
Don't want to hi-jack Don's thread, but briefly, mine came from Nesbits:

http://www.nisbets.co.uk/Buffalo-Meat-Slicer-300mm/CD279/ProductDetail.raction

(All meat slicers are a pain in the neck to clean after use, and need practically fully dismantling to be hygienically cleaned)

... I'll go away now and let you resume talking 3d printing  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 10:04:57 AM »
I find this slicer is the best - can set the slices just as thick or thin as you like, just don't put your fingers in the wrong place  :lol:

(Sorry Don - couldn't resist  :clap:)

3D printed pig from a packet of bacon.....now that's what I call clever!  :)
OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 02:24:34 PM »
I told myself when I started this "Self, this is a bad idea".  But NOOOO, I just had to go ahead and ask the question anyway - this'll teach me.

Well HELL, if we aren't allowed enjoy a little humor wherever we find it then the world's going to be a very depressing place.

Gentlemen, glad to be of service,
Don
Too many irons, not enough fire.