Author Topic: Cleaning Machines  (Read 3670 times)

Offline Sackett

Cleaning Machines
« on: May 08, 2016, 07:41:41 PM »
I really need to clean my Atlas 618 lathe, n my Atlas 7b shaper. Lathe's not too bad, n has just been shifted over to it's new bench. The shaper on the other hand is filthy. Has years of accumilated dust n surface rust from sitting in barn unused n uncared for. When I got it to my shop, I did brush off what would come off easily,but was afraid to use air,, didnt want to blow grit n stuff into workings. I've over the last yeaR, SLATHERED REG LUBE OIL , N PENETRATING OIL OVER IT TO GET THE MOVING BITS TO MOVE. It's destined to move to the bench the lathe was on , n I'd like to clean it really well before the move. I was thinking something like"Simple Green" or such,, but if theres something better, I'de try that.
Really want to get to making chips,, but want to do my machines right . Lathe getting new twist lok belts , picking them up from local industrial supplyer in am.

Offline Pete.

Re: Cleaning Machines
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 07:55:31 PM »
Get a gallon of brake cleaner (£10) and a trigger-bottle (often you get a free bottle with a gallon of brake cleaner) then take a 2" paint brush and cut the bristles down to half length. That'll get you a long way down the road.

Offline Xldevil

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 11:46:33 PM »
Break cleaner is not bad,but after using it,you should give all blank metall surfaces a good coat of oil,asap.

Offline Sackett

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 07:45:11 PM »
vISITED HALF A DOZEN AUTO PARTS STORES HERE LOCAL , N IN THE STATE CAPITAL ON monday,,, nobody had brake cleen except in the small spray cans,,no varsol to be haD AT ALL. Bought a gal of product called Tornado,,,recomended by local parts guy. havent tried it yet. anybody kno anything about it ?

Offline Sackett

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 12:23:25 PM »
Based on what the guy at parts store said about the "tornado" , I was a bit iffy on useing it on the shaper. Instead, I got a gallon of kerosene, n am useing that instead. Works well, doesnt require rinsing with water, n leaves some protection on the bare bits. Didnt have a bucket big enough to dip the shaper in to rinse,,, n not sure I coulda shook all the water out afterward. This is / was one filthy little machine.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 04:22:45 PM »
Sacket,

If kerosene is similar to what we call paraffin over here in the UK then you will need to get some anti rust protection on your machine as soon as possible.

Bare metal cleaned with paraffin very quickly rusts. There is very little oil in it.

Dave.

p.s.  Paraffin at our local petrol station is now £8.50 for 5 litre.

Offline Sackett

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 08:48:17 PM »
Yeah David, same as your parifin. Is higher than gasoline here too now. When I was growing up on the farm, we used kero to cure tobacco ,,, was about 1/3rd price of gasoline,,,how times change