Author Topic: Made My First Part Today  (Read 6762 times)

Offline Sackett

Made My First Part Today
« on: May 12, 2016, 10:56:20 PM »
 :D :DWell, I'mma bout to bust with pride!!!!!! I made my first realpatr today on the Craftsman 618. Now I'm not a machinists by any stretch,,,n hardly kno one end of lathe from the other,,, but I MADE A PART. My little lathe didnt come with a faceplate,,so I had no way to really turn bewtween centers.
I've been having a think about this, n watching videos, n reading ,,,n it came to me. If I had a 60 degree center that I could hold in 3 jaw, I could center on that,,,n use one of the jaws to turn driving dog.Yeah,,I kno I'll hafta true it up each time,,but it'll work. A guy had given me a chunk of 3/4 12l14 hex,, so I nippedd off a bit , put in 3 jaw, ground a hhs bit(watched sharpening videos till wee hrslast night). SET COMPOUND TO 60 DEGREES, LOCKED CARRIAGE ,N HAD At it. Wonder of wonders,, the bit actualy cut. fEED IN WITH CROSSLIDE, MAKE CUT WITH COMPOUND,,,N LO N BEHOLD,, A 60 DEGREE CENTER BEGAN TO FORM. Stinking cap locks,, keep hitting them. The finish wasnt that great,,,really not so good at all,, but kept at it till got it pointed. Coupla licks with a file,,,a bit of rubadub with 320, then 400 grit emery paper with some oil ,  n done.
Took out of chuck , did the flats with same emery treatment,,n all done. Been sitting here all night, just fiddling with it . sure does feel good rubbing fingers over it .

Ya gotta strart somewhere :clap:

RobWilson

Re: Made My First Part Today
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 12:45:37 AM »
 :worthless:

Rob  :D

Offline mcostello

• Lancaster, Ohio
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 09:14:45 AM »
You are on Your way now, keep it up, cheers.
High Speed steel in a Carbide world.

Offline leg17

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 03:15:02 PM »
Switch over to the four jaw in the future and you won't have to true up the point, just indicate it true.
(This may or may not seem intimidating to you now, but it takes little to get the hang of it and you will then have another skill under your belt.)

Offline sparky961

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 04:18:50 PM »
Switch over to the four jaw in the future and you won't have to true up the point, just indicate it true.
(This may or may not seem intimidating to you now, but it takes little to get the hang of it and you will then have another skill under your belt.)

Yes... Except that holding hex stock in a four jaw isn't the best.

Offline Toolshed

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 05:05:34 PM »
AWESOME!!!  Have to agree with Rob, I'd like to see your work too....

Ohhhh, just wait until you find the joy to be had when you machine out your own morse tapers.   :headbang:

My faceplate acting as its own lathe dawg with the 4-jaw.  The center in the 4jaw was made almost as you made yours here....

I also cut a Morse 1 taper for a drill chuck for the tailstock.
No matter where you go....There you are....

Metalworker
Woodworker
Metal Caster

Google Map of members.  Send me your city/state/country and I will get you added in!
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1yzP6dM2C2yeti0msljLA5Ny_pwQ

RobWilson

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 05:26:02 PM »
 :thumbup: Nice job machining  the MT's  toolshed ,no mean feet using the compound slide  :clap: :clap:  or did you set over the tail stock  :dremel:

Rob

Offline DavidA

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 06:56:46 PM »
Often wondered about this setting over of tail stocks to cut tapers.

It strikes me that, as the point on the tails stock and the center hole in the job are both (normally) 60 degree, and this works fine for machining between centres, when you set the tail stock over the two angles no longer align.

So the edge of the hole (in the job)  is running on the side of the tail stock centre at each end of the 'contact' area.

Any views on this ?

Dave.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 07:56:03 PM »
Dave,this angular misalignment is what restricts the amount of taper achievable to a small angle when using the set over tailstock method.....OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline Sackett

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 12:28:36 AM »
See, I knew you guys was gonna want pics. Makin the parts was likely easier than pics. I only got old beater Kodak dig ,, must be 7 or 8 yr old. Pretty good for sawmill n tractor pics,,, not so hot for closeups.I'll see what can be did. I did make another one , out of piece of round while I was at it,,,,so the 4 jaw optin is still open.
   The hex one mayt never get used,,, has been in my pocket all day. It has such a nice cal,ing feel to it,,,may become a permant pocket piece. Even went to bingo tonight,,,n while it may be comforting,,  it certainly aint a good luck charm,,,sigh

Offline Toolshed

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 08:27:33 AM »
PICS!!  hahaha  I'm one of those that will post a bad pic of a good idea no matter what folks think....My wife has offered her picture taking skills tho....

Thanks for the props Rob.  Tail stock offset.  Glad I took that one photo! 

David, The tail stock offset allows you to traverse the carriage STRAIGHT.  There is no using the compound slide.  It brings the tail of the piece just that fraction closer to the cutter.  Has to be done between centers since a straight chuck would rip the work piece up being offset. Hence the need for a dog on the drive side of the works.

This allows you to cut any minuscule kind of taper.  HOWEVER, notice there is no vernier on my tail stock, so it gets a little dicey.  The great thing about that face plate is, if I goof it up, I just melt it down and have a redo.....Luckily got it first time....Or at least close enough for my needs.

Metalworker
Woodworker
Metal Caster

Google Map of members.  Send me your city/state/country and I will get you added in!

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 08:55:01 AM »
It strikes me that, as the point on the tails stock and the center hole in the job are both (normally) 60 degree, and this works fine for machining between centres, when you set the tail stock over the two angles no longer align.

David
You just need to buy a different centre drill. They have a slight curve in the cutting face, so makes a curved centre instead of one with sharp straight 60 deg sides. Not quite sure if that is explained very well, so will take a pic if I get a moment.
Pete

Offline Toolshed

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 09:02:51 AM »
Spurry, do tell. Or do pic, that is one I haven't heard of. For mine I cut the points a bit Sharp and slightly less than 60 degrees to compensate.   That and run live center when possible in the tail stock with it being more rounded.

Metalworker
Woodworker
Metal Caster

Offline mattinker

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 09:20:40 AM »
Dave,this angular misalignment is what restricts the amount of taper achievable to a small angle when using the set over tailstock method.....OZ.

You can use a small ball bearings in hollow centres to compensate.

Regards, Matthew.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 09:54:04 AM by mattinker »

Offline leg17

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 09:31:59 AM »

Yes... Except that holding hex stock in a four jaw isn't the best.

My bad!  Missed he hex stock description.