Author Topic: Truing up grinding wheels  (Read 3187 times)

Offline John Rudd

Truing up grinding wheels
« on: May 20, 2016, 11:40:50 AM »
I am close to completing a tool grinding station based on Harold Hall's rest.

I have my double ended grinder mounted along with the tool rest.

I have an issue with the wheels that I bought in as much as how to dress them so they run true and balanced.

I dont feel safe mounting the wheel on the grinder to dress with a diamond, so what are my options on doing this safely?

I had thought of making a mandrel and mounting them in the lathe and truing them that way ( with the bedways protected!! ) not sure if that is a good idea?

So what to do? Any ideas to share?
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Jonny

Re: Truing up grinding wheels
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 06:48:40 PM »
The pros use a diamond always have, the only way to get any accuracy called dressing.

So you make a mandrel slap it in lathe and turn true to that fixing, guaranteed to run out putting on grinder so back to square one.

Offline sparky961

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 07:57:00 PM »
I dont feel safe mounting the wheel on the grinder to dress with a diamond, so what are my options on doing this safely?

Which part of this worries you?  If you're concerned that it will be way out of balance, you could try a static balance using an arbour on the bench first.  Then true it up on the machine when you're comfortable that it's pretty close.  In my (limited) experience with grinding wheels, as long as you have something that centers well on the bore they're pretty round and balanced from the factory.  Unless of course they're really cheap, and then I'd be afraid too. :P

Make sure to "ring" the wheel, if you weren't already aware of that.  It doesn't hurt to stand to the side a bit either.... ;)

Offline chipenter

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 04:36:45 AM »
Fit one wheel to the grinder dress it then fit the outher dress that , iff you fit both one unbalences the outher and will never run smoothly , I bined the corse stone and fitted a diamond never regrated it .
Jeff