Author Topic: Toolshed's Gingery Milling Machine Build  (Read 5689 times)

Offline Toolshed

Toolshed's Gingery Milling Machine Build
« on: May 26, 2016, 10:51:56 AM »
 :proj:

Ahh, the amount of "ooooo,look, another bunny" that goes on in my life is just insane....
Metal casting
Metalworking
Slingshot building
Slingshot shooting
Making dinner
This silly thing called a 'job'

Sheesh.

Anyhoo, got myself a couple nights of snuggle time with my shop tolls and got more done on my milling machine patterns.

Here was the first part done earlier this year.

First patterns are for the bed and bases for the machine.

Next few are the headstand.  I wish I could trust MDF more, because the stuff is stupid easy to work and doesn't kill my sander belts!

The headstand has a hole the length of the unit which is 7/8" on one side and 5/8" on the other.  I figured out the proper angle to set my scroll saw table at to be able to cut that angle within "spec" for me.   :)

No matter where you go....There you are....

Metalworker
Woodworker
Metal Caster

Google Map of members.  Send me your city/state/country and I will get you added in!
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1yzP6dM2C2yeti0msljLA5Ny_pwQ

Offline PekkaNF

Re: Toolshed's Gingery Milling Machine Build
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 11:43:25 AM »
I got the book....no T-shirt though.

I liked the idea of it, but found it limiting on fairly small pieces. Horizontal milling has it's benefits, but here it looks like a line boorer or a lathe with adjustable head stock.

I'm not completely sold by it's design. Therefore I'll be very intrested what kind of parts it can produce.

Very nice project though. I'll be following it.

Are you following the design as it is or are there any design changes planned?

Pekka

Offline Toolshed

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 02:24:03 PM »
No changes to what is in the book.  At least not at this time.  I have to admit, I am somewhat leery of the horizontal mill as well, but I figure it cannot hurt to have one.

Some might ask WHY I skipped the first three books. 

1. I don't need to build the furnace.  I use a modified turkey fryer for the furnace.  Good clean, no fuss burner.
2. I already own a good metal lathe.
3. I made a deal with another person on another board (AlloyAvenue.com) for pattern exchanges.  He has already sent me the patterns for the Gingery shaper he built, in return I ship him the patterns for the miller after I am done with them.

Metalworker
Woodworker
Metal Caster

Google Map of members.  Send me your city/state/country and I will get you added in!

RobWilson

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 02:29:19 PM »
I will be following along for the ride , casting and machine tool making  :headbang:

Rob

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 10:45:39 AM »
you could always turn it upright I suppose might be a novel concept a miller where the head deals with X and the table does Y and Z. I have never seen it before but no doubt people will chime in on various machines that do just that now.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline sparky961

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 07:57:02 PM »
I'll take a seat here in the corner and watch as well.  I purchased the entire series of books a few (ok, more than a few) years ago and never made any of the machines.  I did get some ideas when I built my furnace, and made a faceplate for my own lathe (which I have never actually used).

I was very leery of the aluminum construction, especially the different expansion rates of the aluminum and steel components.  Not to mention just the extreme expansion rate of the aluminum itself.  But I'm rather picky when it comes to thousandths.... ok, tenths too... ;)

I wish you best of success in the completion of your -

!! SQUIRREL !!

Offline Toolshed

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 12:34:29 PM »
The aluminum parts are rather beefy.  For kicks and giggles, I did a bit of a stress test on some of the flashing of one of my other castings and was able to put well over 30 pounds of pull on it.  That was all my scale would do.  Even at a few thou thick the flashing can hold up to a lot of pounds.

I have zero doubt that these machines are likely better than a lot of store bought.  My current table saw table is about 1/8" thick aluminum, same with the table on my belt sander and band saw....The Gingery tools are 3/4" thick in places.  These machines seem to be brick sh!thouses....'cept shinier and less stinky....

Not sure what you're referring to with expansion rates.  The steel ways are mounted with bolts to the aluminum castings.  They're never heated together....

Got another pattern made over the weekend, no pics yet.  Still have to shellac it.

Metalworker
Woodworker
Metal Caster