The deal when we bought our house was that I would get my own workshop..... She got the house, but I got a shed....
Seems fair to me.
At the time of building, I painted the floors in the shed with about 6 coats of paving paint. Figuring that'd last forever....
Well, it lasted about a year... So I repainted it a couple of times before giving up and letting it end up like shed floors everywhere....
It was worn through in many places, had epoxy and crap stuck all over it and generally detracted from the ambiance of the facility.
But it IS 10 years old, so I decided it was time it had a birthday.
Step 1 was grinding it back. I hired a reasonably big machine and, with the help of a little foresight that allowed me to flood the floor without damaging anything (painted kickboards on all the benches, sealed to the floor), we had it cut back in about 20 minutes.
I selected this product.
It seemed to be a polyurethane variant and claimed to be stronger than epoxy. It also claimed to be ultra high gloss, but I got the optional clear coat kit anyway.
Other claims were 45 minute pot life at 24degC and 23m^2 coverage.
So I ran the aircon for two days to dry the slab and keep everything at 24degC, Mixed the plastic which comes in a two part pouch making this step easy. I set a timer for 30 minutes and had at it!
It wasn't long before two things became apparent:
1. There was no way this kit was going to cover the 17m^2 of floor I had.
2. The pot life was going to be a fair bit less than 45 minutes!
The end result looked a bit like this:
Not happy! The coverage on the rest of the floor was patchy and there was very little gloss.
The one plus? That roller that I just leaned against the wall when I walked away in disgust had to be removed from the floor with a cold chisel the next day. So I knew that the stuff was going to stick!
The next day I returned the clear top coat (which wasn't going to cover the floor area anyway) and bought a double garage kit of the same grey which claimed to cover 45m^2.
I put it in the fridge for the afternoon and let the workshop cool to about 20 deg C.
This time it was less "rolling on paint" and more "spreading it out".
I retired for the evening happy with the outcome..
The next morning though, all I could see were the skirting boards I didn't paint 10 years ago.... Sigh.
After that, I did my best not to look at the walls and just started moving equipment back in..
In the end, the result was what I wanted, I just ended up using 4 times as much product as the manufacturer recommended.
All up, including grinding, it came to about AU$37 per square meter. Which is still cheaper than some quotes I got. (but not a lot cheaper)