Author Topic: CNC Mini Mill Project Hayabusa breather cover  (Read 8242 times)

Offline davro

CNC Mini Mill Project Hayabusa breather cover
« on: June 06, 2016, 08:28:20 AM »
Hi All,

Some images and 5 minute summary video of a recent project, an aluminium low profile breather cover for my kitcar's hayabusa engine.
The project cad/cam was done with Fusion360 and LinuxCNC the blue finish was done with my home brew anodizing setup :)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: CNC Mini Mill Project Hayabusa breather cover
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 10:31:03 PM »
Very cool. So a couple of questions...

1. Original design or does it mimic the Busa's breather? Not sure what it looks like.
2. Are you using a catch can at the other end of the hose or just a filter?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 03:01:00 AM »
Nice job, I exspecially like the anodising very good result from a home-brew!

Eric, it mimics the style of the BigCC breather cover sold by Orient Express. The original stood up like a tower and used valuable space under the tank. I fitted low-profile one to make room for a large fuel pump.

Most people fit a small filter on them because they don't tend to breathe much. The original was piped into the airbox, for emissions purposesto take away oil vapour I guess.

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 01:38:50 AM »
I too reckon it is a good job. Congrats.
 :clap:
    I was also interested in the anodizing setup you have.

Question; Have you done a write-up of your anodizing setup?
I for one would be interested if for no other reason than your setup looks like it just might be feasible in my minuscule space.

John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline davro

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 01:57:04 AM »
Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback
This was my first real cad cam project I copied the BigCC breather cover (as Pete mentioned) changed a few small details, but this was a perfect learning project as it had adaptive path milling, facing, engraving operations. The blue hose is connected to a home made aluminium catch pot, and fancy CNC bracket for the catch pot, I will put a post up about the catch post and CNC bracket, but here are a couple of images of the catch pot bracket tool paths I used and the product installed and anodised ...

SwarfnStuff  I have been meaning to write up my anodising process as it is very feasible in minuscule spaces as long as there is decent ventilation, but I'm still learning at the moment, just got my etching setup complete recently ...

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 03:16:24 PM »
***I have been meaning to write up my anodising process ***

that would be very helpful, i have a cheap set up but my colours never come out correctly,
even the black seems tobe gunmetal  :doh:
Lyn..

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 03:27:26 AM »
Thanks Davro,
        I shall wait along with Lyn AKA kayzed1 to see your post.
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 05:05:39 AM »
Hi Davro,

That's a really nice bit of work - I like it a lot! Only two problems I can see:

1) You misspelt Davro  :lol:

2) Now that you've got that super-blingy blue bit on your engine, you're going to have to polish the rest of it to match, you do realise that don't you? Can't have just one shiny bit....  :doh:

Seriously, lovely work, it makes me want to break out the aluminium and get cutting again.... unfortunately, I'm on the move again and all shop work is currently on hold  :(

I'd also be very interested in a write-up on your anodizing setup, I've wanted to try it for a while & haven't had the guts...  :coffee:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline davro

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 07:19:40 PM »
Cheers AdeV

misspelt Davro LOL  :) number plate is d4xro,  it's a Dax my nickname is davro ala daxro :smart:

Have plans to get another busa engine and turbo or supercharge it, but first I'm making moulds from the aging grp glass fiber body work and making carbon products.

I will do a write up soon on my anodizing process, I just have to finish my current project, making a carbon fiber scuttle for Daxro I have done the mould just need to finish laying it up and do an infusion.

kayzed1 are you etching your parts before anodizing ? I use this product for stripping and etching http://gaterosplating.co.uk/Anodise-Stripper-and-Etch.php

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 03:48:26 PM »
Ooh, nice. Dax Rush? I am lusting after a Tojiero, but too many projects and not enough money...

I'd be very interested to see your carbon fibre infusion (vacuum I assume?) too... something I will be doing with various XJS panels in the future. The bonnet and doors especially, they must weigh a million tons each! (For any Americans reading, that's one billion pounds in your units).

Where do you get your CF from? I bought 50 square metres from easycomposites.co.uk for £10/sqm, they call it "black stuff", cheaper than normal CF because they run the machines 30% faster, so it flys out. But has minor flaws like dropped threads... No good if you're doing decorative work, but great for inner sheets. Personally I'll use it for everything, 'cos I'll be painting it.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline RotarySMP

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 05:16:19 AM »
Do you use the motorbike gearbox and chain final drive? Or only the motorbike engine, and take the primary drive into an automotive gearbox?
Mark
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

Offline davro

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 06:42:08 AM »
AdeV Yes it's a Dax Rush round tube chassis with camber compensation, I get my composite stuff from easycomposites only do infusions, I have some of the black stuff carbon thou I normally just use normal twill for the outside layer with Carbon Fibre 45' Biaxial 300g as internal layers I find the biaxial criss crossed gives very good strength.

RotarySMP, Use the standard gearbox with an upgraded output shaft and a drive coupling kit.

The sierra propshaft been modified cut and re-balanced to accept a quaife transfer reverse box, so I have six gears in forward and six gears in reverse :) Reckon I could do about 110mph in reverse if I ever needed :thumbup:

Offline RotarySMP

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 06:59:34 AM »
 "I could do about 110mph in reverse if I ever needed :thumbup:!

Handy... You never know when you need it.
Mark
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP