Author Topic: Modern Toolmaking Methods  (Read 22006 times)

inthesticks

Modern Toolmaking Methods
« on: June 17, 2016, 01:47:34 PM »
Hello again,

Franklin D. Jones has written some machine work classics this was one of them. Lindsay repinted this one, but he has closed his doors. This is a nice clean copy of the 1st edition downloaded from the Knucklebusters web site.

Cheers
CB

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
Re: Modern Toolmaking Methods
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 02:02:40 PM »
Thanks for posting that, CB.

Chuck
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

RobWilson

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 02:23:44 PM »
Aye its a good read ,I have a first edition set  :)

Spine is slightly rubbed but still legible , the rest of the set is well worth a read .

Rob

inthesticks

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 02:34:57 PM »
Glad you like it Chuck.

Rob very nice set in great condition. I have some of those originals but not near the complete set.Lindsay's reprint is all I could find in Modern Toolmaking Methods.

Cheers
CB

RobWilson

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 02:46:45 PM »
Hi CB

I had the Lindsay reprint of Modern tool making methods as well as many other Lindsay reprints . As I fined originals I pass on the reprints .It's a shame Lindsay shut up shop .

I also  have the set of Kinks books you mentioned in the other post .    :thumbup:

See if you can fined  "Advanced Machine Work - Smith, Robert H "   Well worth tracking down in any format .  Some 1500 pages  of machining joy :coffee:

Rob

inthesticks

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 03:17:56 PM »
Had to double check my bookshelves but yup I got Lindsay's hard cover gold embossed reprint.I agree great book.

Cheers
CB

Oops sorry Rob I ment silver embossing. Looked gold in the light Iwas looking at it in.  :doh:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 04:24:04 PM by inthesticks »

Offline rogprov

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 04:31:32 PM »
Thought I also had the same books but but checked my shelves and only found these old ones...

inthesticks

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 05:17:20 PM »
Very nice ROGPROV I have most of these titles though not in such great shape.

While we're comparing these two are my all time favorites Joshua Rose's 2 vol. Modern Machine-Shop Practice. Its the original 1887 edition main body is in original condition the covers were tattered so I spent the money to have them professionally recovered. They are 11 X 14 and weigh about 11 lbs each.
I have them on disk but to big to upload here. I believe they can be downloaded on the Internet Archive site.  :)

Cheers
CB

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 11:31:46 PM by inthesticks »

RobWilson

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 05:41:43 PM »
Ok I will play  :)

ROGPROV  I will see your   not so old   Newnes and Caxton books

And I will  see your very finely bound Modern machine shop practices CB  :thumbup: with my two volumes bound as one .

And raise you both with Holtzapffels turning and machanical manipulation 

And , Machinery's Encyclopedia

All in fun lads :)

CB ,  Roses book is one of my favourite books in my collection , rather large and heavy but an excellent volume .   

Rob 

inthesticks

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 06:35:52 PM »
Yes Rob thats a very nice original of Rose's work. If my covers had not been so tattered I would have left original too. All in fun yes but I took the pictures so I have to upload them its the rull.  :) :)
They speak for themselves. Love the ICS Shop And Foundry Practice can't bring myself to recover the originals.

Cheers
CB

RobWilson

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 04:57:25 AM »
Yes Rob thats a very nice original of Rose's work. If my covers had not been so tattered I would have left original too. All in fun yes but I took the pictures so I have to upload them its the rull.  :) :)
They speak for themselves. Love the ICS Shop And Foundry Practice can't bring myself to recover the originals.

Cheers
CB

If that's the rule we better carry on CB  :lol:

I will have to look out for a set of "cyclopedia of modern shop practices"  :thumbup:

I do like the ICS books , yours  are not so bad probably the right decision to leave them as they are  :med: 

Mine

I was wondering when Mr Hasluck was going to show up .

And I do like the floppy leather covers of the American Technical Society  and Audels

I have two sets of Audels Engineering & Mechanical Guide  , both in cracking condition for being very nearly 100 years old ,I am willing to trade one set if anyone is interested .

I have two sets of above , second set spine artwork detached on a few of them .

Rob  :beer:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 05:25:32 AM by RobWilson »

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 07:28:18 AM »
It is a huge pity that the movie industry pushing for 'author plus 70' years is ruining any chance of the knowledge in these great books being available to the rest of us. While copies are occasionally for sale, they are for the most part lost to the world.

Thank you for sharing the pdf file.

For those looking for pdf's, this search example nets you the Machinery's Reference Series: https://archive.org/search.php?query=%22Machinery%27s%20Reference%20Series%22

If you enter a title inside " symbols it searches for the exact title instead of returning results for individual words.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 08:00:15 AM by gerritv »

inthesticks

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 11:22:48 AM »
Hello

Your welcome GERRITV. Copyright law can be a deep discussion. Internet Archive is doing great things but for over a decade and a half they have been limited to mostly pre 1915-1920 titles hope their allowed to advance into the 20's and 30's. I know there was a lot of great engineering stuff published in the 30's.

Hi again Rob. Love your ICS's great original condition. I like most of what Hasluck put out. I have a few of his originals and some reprints like Lindsay's hardcover
"Metalwork". Your Cyclopedia Of Engineering is nothing short of beautiful, your heart must have skipped a beat when you found that one. :thumbup: :thumbup: I have some of the newer Audel sets but only the occassional older title.

Here are a couple more. The Amateur Mechanic is more home based than industrial very hands on diy interesting.

Cheers :beer:
CB

RobWilson

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 03:22:45 PM »
Hi CB

I really like you collection of books , Build your own combat  robot  :bugeye:   , any chance of a shot of the chapter page of the electric motor repair book please .

Every well equipped home library  should have a copy of "Metalworking "  ,mine is a reprint  and Machine tool reconditioning , a recent addition to my library  :thumbup:

One of my best collections is my Institute of mechanical engineers  1859  - 1899  :)    they have been rebound (not by me) as the original binding was not the best .

Original binding on the right

A great  resource for engineering history  , hows this for a line up .

If Carling did engineering  teams :lol: :lol: :beer:

A few shots of things within

Engines,machine tools , armaments,hydraulic machinery,foundry ,metallurgy   the list is endless

Rob 

inthesticks

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 05:17:50 PM »
Hello Rob

Your collection of Institute of Mechanical Engineers volumes looks fantastic. Beautifly illustrated, that seems to be hard to find pre about 1870 when they were few and usually at the back of the book. I do not own any but have downloaded some from the internet. Just the kind of thing I like to browse through on a cold winter night nursing a glass of the old captain's private stock in front of a warm fire. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Electric Motor Repair you caught that ay. Very nice hands on book still new enough to be usefull in the shop. Really 2 volumes in one, spiral bound. The left hand section has 243 pages of wiring and winding diagrams and 32 pages of study Questions.

Cheers
CB

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 08:17:20 PM by inthesticks »

RobWilson

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2016, 03:11:16 AM »
Thanks for the photos CB  :thumbup:

Interesting  binding , good electric motor repair books are very thin on the ground these days and  that looks like a book well worth having .   :dremel:

Thanks Rob 

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 08:04:45 AM »
Thanks a lot guys!http://madmodder.net/Smileys/default/happy0034.gif

I just bought a set of  Engineering Workshop Practice (3 Volume Set)   and  Advanced Machine Work, should be here in a week.

I will also be watching more closely the local auction house for books, usually I just get tools there (recently an 11 drawer Kennedy loaded with Dormer taper reamers and counter bores, mills and drills for CAD110)

Gerrit

inthesticks

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2016, 11:11:23 AM »
Congrats GERRITV. I think you will enjoy them. :thumbup:
That auction house sounds like a place I'd like to visit.

Cheers
CB

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2016, 02:18:14 PM »
Congrats GERRITV. I think you will enjoy them. :thumbup:
That auction house sounds like a place I'd like to visit.

Cheers
CB
It is in St Catharines, a bit of a drive for you I think.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2016, 02:47:15 PM »

See if you can fined  "Advanced Machine Work - Smith, Robert H "   Well worth tracking down in any format .  Some 1500 pages  of machining joy :coffee:

Rob

https://archive.org/details/textbookofadvanc00smituoft
John Stevenson

RobWilson

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 04:29:44 PM »
Thanks a lot guys!http://madmodder.net/Smileys/default/happy0034.gif

I just bought a set of  Engineering Workshop Practice (3 Volume Set)   and  Advanced Machine Work, should be here in a week.

I will also be watching more closely the local auction house for books, usually I just get tools there (recently an 11 drawer Kennedy loaded with Dormer taper reamers and counter bores, mills and drills for CAD110)

Gerrit

Ooooh your doomed now Gerrit   doomed I tell ya  :Doh:   

"I have just bought "    thats how it started with me  :D

Rob  :thumbup:

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2016, 05:33:27 PM »
It's too late! Plus I have the additional problem/risk of also being Dutch. While this makes me try to spend wisely, it also means a lot larger pool of books :-)

E.g. The first two are from my uncle who worked at KLM before and during WWII, the last 2 are my dad's carpentry textbook from 1930. Both amazingly useful, esp the carpentry one for joints and making window frames waterproof, a skill seemingly lost in the 21st century.

inthesticks

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 06:51:57 PM »
Very nice GERRITV. St.Catherines is a good drive, Just the kind of thing I can add to my  (too few) used book tours.

Cheers
CB

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines
    • My Hobbies
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2016, 12:29:34 PM »
The 3 volume Engineering Workshop Practice is very worthwhile. Some serious reading coming up.

inthesticks

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2016, 01:48:14 PM »
Very nice gerritv, excellent condition. Look like the same vintage as my set.

If you like more modern sets, but still pre-automation, you will love these 2 sets. Should be more available in good condition.

Cheers
CB