Author Topic: ot - Landy  (Read 17169 times)

Offline Pete W.

Re: ot - Landy
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2016, 05:55:16 AM »
They must do something right - remember that 75% of the Land Rovers made since 1947 are still running and being used. That means that the average Land Rover is long in the tooth.

My own Discovery 2 is 15 years old, an age that would see most 'modern' cars in the scrap yard, but it still does a good days work and is surprisingly good cosmetically.

Including, if I remember correctly, getting the bride to the church on time!   :clap:   :clap:   :clap:   :clap: 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2016, 06:02:04 AM »
No, that was a friends Series 1 SWB
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2016, 09:29:54 AM »
In 1974 I had 2 SWB 80" Land-rovers, one I bought for spares was a 1949 and the other a 1952. That was in another life when I lived in the middle of a field in bleak West Wales. I had a 3/4 mile track down to my house, three streams to ford and four gates to open!My biggest problem was mud in the brake drums grinding it's way through brake linings in no time! Yes, like most ex-Land-rover owners I'm still nostalgic about it, but I'm not sure that I would like it today!

All the best, Matthew

Offline ZebraDriver

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2016, 01:19:02 PM »
I have a '71 series 3 and have owned a long line of them before this one.  Including two 80", a series 2 109, a v8 series 2 SWB, a range rover pick up truck, two SWB series 3, a disco 2, and a 109 series 3 10 seater.  As a mate of mine once commented that Land Rover ownership is a bit like having Herpes - once you have are infected you can never get rid of it !!!!

My current LR is just used as a toy and only comes out on a few days in a year, but I do use it in off road competitions.  It has evolved a bit over the years and now has a galvanised chassis, parabolic springs, 2.5 litre petrol engine (as opposed to a 2.25), twin batteries, winch, compressor, overdrive etc etc etc

Martin
When you stop and think about it, treadmills are dangerous things!

Offline CHA5

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2016, 11:08:56 PM »
On paper a Landy ticks all my boxes, in reality I'm afraid I'm definately not a Land Rover shaped person. How can they get it so right, yet get it sooo wrong at the same time?

More years ago than I care to remember I was looking around for the car for life. Not being able to afford an Aston Martin the Landy fitted the bill nicely . . . until I actually sat in one.

So I bought a Hilux instead.

If any of you odd shaped Landy owners ever need a tug out of the mud or a tow off the motorway then give us a call :-)

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2016, 10:23:04 AM »
As there are Land Rover aficionados in plentiful supply, would one of you happen to know the PCD of the bolts holding the viscous fan mounting. The fan itself needs a 36mm spanner. As those 'in the know' will appreciate the space to actually try and measure said PCD is somewhat limited.
The special tool would normally be cheaper and easier to get, if it were not the Season of Goodwill, aka the Christmas holidays.
The model is a 2005/6 Disco 3,  2.7L.
TIA  :thumbup:
Pete
PS It's not mine, but a neighbours job.  :bugeye:

Offline Buell

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2016, 12:30:56 PM »
My father Bought a Landrover Safari type years ago and the only thing i remember was it had this Spot light on the roof that you could turn from inside the vehicle  (Im guessing for locating Big Cats !)...so when we were looking for house numbers late at night you could shine it at the House doors ! was great just looked like the police were searching for suspects in the Neighbourhood ! Good ole days.
If you don't succeed ...try try try again...you can't fail trying.

Offline Chris Evans

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2016, 05:31:54 AM »
I spent over 35 years with series Land Rovers around me. Great fun and always something on the to do list.

Offline Andrew Wildman

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2016, 05:43:39 AM »
All the landy owners are coming out of the woodwork! (or should I say rust?) :beer:

Offline hermetic

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2016, 07:05:31 AM »
Here I am in the seventies standing next to my bare chassis rebuilt landrover series2, obviously needed more brain oil! It became the recovery vehicle for my garage business, and did sterling work dragging many cars and vans out of the ditches around Langtoft, during which time the carb was replaced with a SU from an old  Rover 75, which improved starting and MPG from 14mpg to about 22 mpg, but the old one leaked more than it fed to the inlet!
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2017, 03:00:04 PM »
.... would one of you happen to know the PCD of the bolts holding the viscous fan mounting. The fan itself needs a 36mm spanner. As those 'in the know' will appreciate the space to actually try and measure said PCD is somewhat limited.
The model is a 2005/6 Disco 3,  2.7L.
Just in case anyone has the need to make a tool for holding the fan, according to my measurements the PCD of the bolts is 57.50mm.
Pete

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2017, 12:21:54 PM »
I just wanted to share this picture of my landrover.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2017, 12:58:31 PM »
I recognise that skyline - that's in the Falklands  :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2017, 01:48:39 PM »
Absolutely right. On the road from Stanley to Mount Pleasant. The oil pressure light had come on. Fortunately a friend came to rescue me.

Offline Chris Evans

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2017, 04:59:12 AM »
If any of you series Landy owners need the gearbox mainshaft nut tool I made four of them to help the guys out. Just pay for postage but I do ask for a nominal £20 returnable deposit to try and make sure they come back to help someone else.

Offline Andrew Wildman

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2017, 07:50:31 AM »
Thank you for the offer Chris, very madmodder! :mmr:

I will bear that in mind for the future