Author Topic: Filament Winder  (Read 14055 times)

Offline PK

Filament Winder
« on: July 08, 2016, 02:11:39 AM »
So this thing's just about ready for action.
The little CNC controller is great. I initially experimented with reprogrammed 3D printer electronics. Don't do this...

Offline Joules

Re: Filament Winder
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 03:47:19 AM »
Nice one PK, a filament winder is on my wish list since I saw the X Winder on Kickstarter.

I am disappointed to see you have gone with such a basic controller.   :lol:
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline PK

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 08:21:57 AM »
I am disappointed to see you have gone with such a basic controller.   :lol:
'Overkill' is my middle name!

I cant recall the price, but it was something like AU$250 landed. Which is only slightly more than I would have spent on a smooth stepper + isolation. That being the way I've been controlling machines for the last few years..
This one will do 4 axii, the other two of which I may well add as this rig evolves...
PK

Offline Joules

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 09:27:48 AM »
That controller is actually pretty nifty...  I thought it was something much more expensive till I did a search for them.

Turned up an interesting video review with a link to further documentation for it.   I should maybe consider one of these for my old CNC router, and other potential toys.  I do like the D25's on the back for direct interfacing with equipment, so the head can be quickly swapped to other machines.

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 07:11:01 AM »
So as a complete novice in the realms of CNC:

I assume this box interfaces to:

1. Simple limit switches(understood),

2. Stepper motor drivers (these handle the high power for whatever motors are being used)(think I inderstand)

3. Some form of spindle speed control (either PWM or 0 -10V)(Not really understood

It can be used manually or fed a G-code program via the card slot.

I think this would make a very nice CNC add on for my Sieg X2P

Any hints/tips/suggestions please ??

Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline Joules

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 10:47:55 AM »
Will, easy way to think of PWM is on-off, just very rapidly with varying mark space ratio, in most cases on-off can usually suffice.  My router has a 3 phase spindle, but the old controller couldn't control it, so I just used a single line to toggle the spindle power and set the speed manually.

I was/am looking at the Arc Euro X1LP as a possible cnc conversion.  It could also be used as a ganged lathe for small stuff.  I already have a suitable UC100 USB controller and UCCNC software, so would have a hard time justifying to the BOSS that another controller would be a wise purchase   :poke:

However toys are toys   :D

Offline PK

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 01:40:29 PM »
So as a complete novice in the realms of CNC:

Any hints/tips/suggestions please ??
I made one mod to the box.

As shipped, the unit runs from 12VDC. This isn't so bad as most CNC driver boxes and up with a few different supply voltages in them.
Because I wanted to be able to just plug this into a bench supply and run the drives and controller from 24V, I made a small change to the units power supply.
The switch mode regulator used will happily handle 40V input, but, for reasons unknown to science, the designers elected to put a 16V electrolytic cap on it's input.
I swapped this for a 35V 220uF and now everything runs fine at 24V.
PK

RobWilson

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 04:25:34 AM »
Hi PK

Cool project  :thumbup: , are you making your own filament ? 

I myself have been looking at purchasing one of those CNC controllers from Banggood  for a CNC Plasma project .

http://www.banggood.com/50KHZ-CNC-4-Axis-Offline-Controller-Breakout-Board-Engraving-Machine-Control-System-Card-p-1021134.html   

Seams like a good way of getting away from Mach3 and the space saving of not  needing computer and screen .

Whats your thoughts on build quality ? using the micro SD card to load files ?   

Thanks Rob

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 06:23:52 AM »
Most interesting question is: What it is used to? To make extra high Q coils or to make extra lightweight and strong boron/unobtanium composites?

Or something even more exotic?

Pekka

Offline nrml

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 04:03:24 AM »
Sorry for hijacking your thread. Since there is a lot of interest in your control box, I thought I'd post some potentially useful information for anyone planning to buy one.

I've bought one of these http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DDCSV1-1-500KHz-CNC-3-Axis-Engraving-Machine-Controller-Motion-Control-System-G-Code-Stepper-Motor/32594969297.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.90.tXE321

It is waiting to be fitted on to a 6040CNC router when I get some spare time. It seems to have better specifications than most other similarly priced single  box controllers. The user manual is 95% understandable and actually has a decent amount of information in it. If you are buying one of these single box controllers, make sure that it isn't one that has a limit on the number of lines of code that it can process. They don't make it clear on the advertisements. That information is usually buried deep within a poorly written and even more poorly translated user manual.

Here is a link to the user manuals for the commonly available ones http://www.chinaplccenter.com/support/Manual-Download.html

EDIT:
If you can't find the manual for the one I linked let me know. I can email it or upload it here.

Offline Joules

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 06:26:22 AM »
Oh, thats torn it.....   Accidentally ordered the DDCSV1.1 4 Axis Controller.

:D

There's a whole range of controllers including some very Pro looking stuff for hundreds of pounds.   Will have to see how far I can get with a 3D printed machine parts   :dremel:

You lot are a dreadful influence   :bow:

Offline nrml

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 03:40:49 PM »
While you still have your hands in your pocket if you fancy a MPG pendant that should (from specs sheets) play nicely with your shiny new DDCSV1.1 4 Axis Controller I can recommend this one http://www.aliexpress.com/item/CNC-4-Axis-MPG-Pendant-Handwheel-Emergency-Stop-For-Siemens-Mitsubishi-Systems/2043005167.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.81.wD50zr

It is extremely well built for the price. Even the cable on it is of excellent quality which is a bit unusual in the budget end of the market. I don't know what encoder they use but it feels very nice to handle.

Offline PK

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 07:48:37 PM »
Sorry for the delay gents, just got back from an unexpected trip to hospital..  On the mend now..

Rob, build quality is pretty good. The membrane switch panel is as good as anything I've seen out of china. The display is a little small for my eyes, but I suspect I won't be looking at it that much... 
If you've ever seen a Schumatech DRO that someone has done a really good job on... Well it's better than that..
Internally it's fairly well designed, aside from that input cap. There's lots of isolation and the PWM VFD output swings pretty much rail to rail.

Pekka, The press I featured in another thread is the clue to what it's used for....

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 02:02:59 PM »
Sorry for the delay gents, just got back from an unexpected trip to hospital..  On the mend now..

Hope you are all fine and sorted.

Pekka, The press I featured in another thread is the clue to what it's used for....

Found short piece of the press, I'll be watching more glues....

Pekka

Offline PK

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 06:12:03 PM »

Found short piece of the press, I'll be watching more glues....

Here's another clue

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 07:26:22 PM »
Got it! :wave:

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2016, 04:37:06 PM »
LVDT?