Author Topic: CetusD 3D Printer  (Read 290 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
CetusD 3D Printer
« on: April 26, 2017, 06:05:17 AM »
Has anyone any experience of the Cetus3D 3 D printer - it looks an elegant and simple method of construction  - I know it's not the bees knees but it caught my imagination:

https://www.cetus3d.com/

I presume that they are USA based but their web site is a bit coy about details, so not sure if they are available in the UK.

I know that there is one design fault, in that if the power is cut, the Z axis crashes down onto the platen but that is eliminated by a 2lb 'tool balancer' spring :)

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PK

Re: CetusD 3D Printer
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 06:16:48 AM »
I know two people who have them, one runs a 3D printing service/movie prop making business and the other is Angus from the 'Makers Muse' youtube channel.
Both speak highly of the unit with the caveat 'For what it is'

I can't recall if it has a heated bed, but this is generally considered a good thing, and essential if you want to make crap FDM prints with plastics that tend to the belligerent side of functional..
It's certainly an addable thing...

Online mattinker

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 06:50:46 AM »

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Cetus3D 3D Printer
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 07:15:13 AM »
Interesting - thanks. I've emailed them to ask re shipping to the UK and will await results - hey I don't NEED a 3D printer in my life but this one seemed quite reasonably engineered for a change  :ddb:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 09:50:27 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Online mattinker

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 07:28:42 AM »

I don't NEED a 3D printer in my life but this one seemed quite reasonably engineered for a change  :ddb:

No, but titivating must go on!.....................

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 08:22:25 AM »
.......I can't recall if it has a heated bed, but this is generally considered a good thing.........

I looked at these and they offered an add-on heated bed BUT it was un-controlled, that could of course be added, but would be an extra bit of faffing around & cost.

Dave

Online mattinker

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 08:41:46 AM »
.......I can't recall if it has a heated bed, but this is generally considered a good thing.........

that could of course be added, but would be an extra bit of faffing around & cost.

Dave

I think, judging by past experience, the "extra bit of faffing around" would be right up Andrews proverbial street! he'll find us an ingenious way of making a fine control for the heated plate!

All the best, Matthew

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 09:45:07 AM »
 :palm: Don't embarrass me Matthew  :palm:

They've replied that they do ship to the UK, I'm now awaiting a price  :med:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Online mattinker

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 10:44:47 AM »
:palm: Don't embarrass me Matthew  :palm:
Well I'm looking forward to it, even before it's official! I must say it looks like an interesting "bare bones" approach!

Cheers Matthew!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 11:28:59 AM »
Well that's torn it - my finger did it honestly gov ! ... it went and pressed the BUY button  :lol:

Looks like it's back to bread and water for a few months before the crater in my bank balance levels out  :bang:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Online mattinker

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 03:40:59 PM »
Well I never!! Titivate titivate.....................

Offline DaveS

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 04:23:08 AM »
That's one giant leap of engineering from 60lb blacksmith hammer to 3D printer :hammer: :smart:

Offline Joules

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 05:07:24 AM »
Not really Dave when you take into account the falling head when the power goes off.   :palm:

I looked at this machine, liked the use of linear rail, had reservations about the use of belt on the Z over a leadscrew.  However, the counterbalance spring is a good solution.  Heated bed, depends what you intend to print with.  I wouldn't go too exotic due to the use of printed parts.  Build a cabinet for it to cut down dust and draughts.  In winter my PLA printers have the cabinets warmed to 20 ℃ with a hair drier, after that the printing process is enough to keep them around that temperature for consistent prints.

The Cetus is on my wish list, but only when they have a UK supplier.  Look forward to Andrews mangling of it  :poke:

The Cetus is made by Tiertime, the same company that do the UP printers and a range of professional FDM machines.  They have a lot of experience with printers.  Another option for the counterbalance would be a sash window style fix, counterweight and pulleys 3D printed of course.
Just get doing and make swarf, you can decide what its going to be later.   :thumbup: