Author Topic: Early Harrison L6 clutch problem  (Read 4110 times)

Offline graham

Early Harrison L6 clutch problem
« on: July 26, 2016, 05:30:31 PM »
Hi folks, just joined the forum,have got a big problem with my Harrison L6 12 inch swing lathe [1968 vintage] :doh:, I wondered if any member could help me out? The clutch has stopped working no grip even after trying to adjust it, have removed the retaining collar.spring and shims but i am unable to remove the clutch operating sleeve,[top hat] have also removed the clutch operating pin as well,i have owned the machine for 14 years and believe it or not i have stripped the clutch down twice in the past but have forgotten how i did it [is this the first sign of dementia? :bang:] so can any person help me out please?.

Offline Manxmodder

Re: Early Harrison L6 clutch problem
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 09:43:03 PM »
I have a MK1 L6 what is it you need to know specifically? Of the top of my head I seem to remember there is a circlip involved in there somewhere. It's a bit of a sod to get out as well. You haven't overlooked the ciclip have you.

I'll have a look at my workshop manual drawings in the morning
.OZ
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline graham

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 06:34:32 AM »
Will have another look later today,but dont remember seeing one,i know there is one holding the drive pulley on.cheers Graham.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 10:21:00 AM »
I'm going out into the shop in the next hour or so and I'll have a good look at my clutch assy and the book of magic pictures. I may not get back here for a few hours to post so keep an eye open....OZ

ETA: Yes,the circlip is indeed retaining the pulley,as you suggest(still a sod to get off though)  :doh:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 02:42:35 PM by Manxmodder »

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 02:38:29 PM »
The book of pictures and wisdom sayeth unto me that:
Leave clutch lever in engaged position
Remove the clutch adjusting nut by turning clockwise
Remove big nasty pressure spring
Withdraw clutch plate 'C' from the splines, which is in fact the 'top hat' plate you describe.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 02:58:33 PM »
have removed the retaining collar.spring and shims but i am unable to remove the clutch operating sleeve,[top hat] have also removed the clutch operating pin as well

Graham,
I don't understand where you're seeing 'shims'. There ain't any on my clutch and none shown in the manual either.

From what I can see once the spring retainer nut and spring are out of the way the 'top hat' should just slide off the splined part of the shaft.....OZ.

ETA: Just thinking for a minute here.If you clutch has suddenly stopped driving and you can't easily withdraw the 'top hat' from the splines then I would suspect the inner spline in the 'top hat' or the inner spline on the top hat inner adjustable nut would seem to perhaps be seized/frozen on the shaft spline.

This scenario would prevent the top hat from being able to slide on the splines,hence unable to clench the plates and drive,or indeed be easily pulled off the shaft spline.

Are we getting close to the problem yet? Can you move the 'top hat' back & forth on the shaft by any amount at all?

Offline graham

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 03:42:14 PM »
yes it will back and forth about an inch,then its a solid clink.could you email me your phone no? as there is a lot to explain to you,im  not very good on a pc it would take me all night. Graham,