The Shop > Metal Stuff

It's a gas...

(1/4) > >>

DavidA:
Just received my invoice for renewing my shield gas. It's from Air Products and the gas is an Argon/co2 mix.

It wasn't a very nice experience.

The product it's self was ok at £36.62.  but there was a £20.45 'handling charge'.
Now, I collected the bottle. And all the supplier had to do was open the gate to his storage area and put the bottle in the back of the car.

Where do they get their prices from ?

All in all, with the 20% VAT and the £1.65 'energy charge', my bottle had now risen to £70.42.

Bodging around in a shed is becoming very expensive.

Hopefully this bottle will last a long, long time.

Does anyone here use co2 for MIG welding ?

And what are you guys paying for your gas ?

Dave.

AdeV:
How big is the bottle, and what's the rental on it?

FWIW I just bought a 20l @ 2000psi bottle of pure Argon (for TIG welding) @ £80 for the gas, and £85 cylinder deposit (all plus the dreaded VAT of course, which at least I can reclaim). I'm guessing MIG gas would be cheaper but I don't have a price.

This was from a distributor for http://www.sgsgasses.co.uk - turns out they're less than 1/2 mile away (about 500 yards as the crow flies - but someone's stuck a ruddy great dock in the way!)

one_rod:

--- Quote from: DavidA on July 31, 2016, 07:04:24 AM ---

Does anyone here use co2 for MIG welding ?

And what are you guys paying for your gas ?

Dave.

--- End quote ---

I always use straight CO2 for mig on steel.
It burns a bit hotter and a bit more spattery than Ag mix, but works fine.

£20 for an exchange, pub size, bottle from the local welding supplier, (or your local pub if you're friends with the landlord).  :thumbup:

shipto:
Have you looked at albee professional? rapid metals are a stockist for them but there are others you would have to look at their website.
Anyway they sell you a full bottle to start which is expensive but the bottle and built in regulater is yours theres no rental. the refills are a bit more than others too but apparently they fill to a higher pressure than the others.
I am planning to get a argoshield from them once my BOC one runs out, as for me the rental is the biggest expense in my gas usage and I think that within a couple of years I would be saving.

Will_D:
FWIW:

I rent from BOC in Dublin ( :bugeye: )

Size X Argon Bottle Annual rental: €80.81 [ as of 28/10/15]

Refill: Pureshield Argon Size X: €54.80 [as of 31/05/16]

All above include VAT at 23%

Thanks to Brexit its hardly worthe converting € to £ (!!!)

At moment its like 1.12 £ to the €

HTH: Will

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version