Author Topic: dbvandy's webster build  (Read 2970 times)

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
dbvandy's webster build
« on: July 31, 2016, 03:37:50 PM »
While researching for my Webster build, I came across dbvandy's build thread herehttp://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=4413.0. He used a weedeater coil and flywheel for his Webster ignition. I happen to have a couple flywheels and ignition coils from a troy-bilt I had problems with.
Does anyone know what the taper is in the flywheel or on the crank for a weedeater? I can't get the crank out of the junked troy-bilt and don't have anything to measure the taperin the flywheel.
I have posted a question in dbvandy's thread, and sent him a pm but nothing back yet.

Chuck
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline Pete.

Re: dbvandy's webster build
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 04:53:25 PM »
Drop a ball bearing into the taper and measure the depth from the ball to the face of the 'hole'. Then drop a larger one in and measure that. Draw it up in CAD, draw lines tangent to both circles and use the measure tool to get the included angle.

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 05:05:14 PM »
I don't have CAD, nor the skills to use it. Heck, don't even have any ball bearings. I do have a couple more dead weed eaters out in the shed. Guess I'll strip one or both to see if the flywheel is the same, and the crank can be 're-used'.
Thanks anyway, Pete.

Chuck
Chuck in E. TN

Offline Pete.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 05:22:57 PM »
I guess the answer is to chuck up a piece of scrap aluminium and cut a taper with the compound. Blue up the inside taper and keep adjusting the compound until you get a good print, then figure a way to measure the shaft you made.

I have one of these and it's very handy, should do the trick:

http://r.ebay.com/cwm3sx

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 06:42:27 PM »
Pete,
That would be the cat's meow for measuring the taper on the exposed part of the crank! now to find out what it will cost to ship to the US!
Thanks.

Chuck
Chuck in E. TN