Author Topic: Wilson's Workshop Waffle  (Read 121059 times)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Wilson's Workshop Waffle
« Reply #275 on: January 09, 2017, 11:30:00 PM »

Maybe I may have my CNC project done before yours.  :palm:

You will probably have it done before mine. I have only been at for what... 5 or 6 years not including the original conversion??

Anyway... Good job on the shop! You have inspired me to redo (read clean and organize) mine so I can actually start using it. Been working on it the past few days... the 7 degree temp today isn't helping me! That's -13.89C for those of you across the pond.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

RobWilson

« Reply #276 on: January 10, 2017, 04:49:08 PM »
Cheers Eric,     :thumbup:

Aye, I thought to myself one big hit and get the workshop sorted/organized to where I can just go in and get on with the project I have on the go and not have to do this and that before I can do whatever.

A couple more months should see most of the jobs done, then, back on with the forge and CNC mill.

-13C, you need some freezer spec overalls, good down to -30C,    :thumbup:   rather cold on the ears and nose though  :palm: 

Maybe we should have a competition for  the slowest CNC build, the competitors  being,  you, me and Phil   :lol:

Cheers, Rob.

RobWilson

« Reply #277 on: January 12, 2017, 10:10:40 AM »
Afternoon Chaps,

I got a few machines moved about last night, Myford lathe in its new home, it fits the space well.

Decided to re-organize the tool board at the rear of the bench, sort out my hammers and 3/8 drive sockets, so more Bott clips and pegs were ordered.

Before ,

After,  :dremel:

There is still the other half to do when I decide what will stay and go.   :thumbup:

Cheers,Rob.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #278 on: January 12, 2017, 11:15:05 AM »
That looks more like a tool shop than a workshop - when are you opening for business  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #279 on: January 12, 2017, 11:22:05 AM »
A truly fine example of organisation. :thumbup:
Pete
PS Wish I was that tidy.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #280 on: January 12, 2017, 11:51:06 AM »
Looks great Rob, better than when I visited.... :lol:

The Myford has scrubbed up well too..... :clap:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline krv3000

« Reply #281 on: January 12, 2017, 02:58:47 PM »
brill rob  :thumbup:

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #282 on: January 12, 2017, 05:09:16 PM »
That's the tits..

I always thought those peg board jobbies were a little 'tas d'ordure' but seeing what you have accomplished and the organization it brings  makes it a first class job my dear boy... another striking asset i see is you know when your tools are missing straight away.

Anthony. 
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #283 on: January 13, 2017, 12:17:46 AM »
I think you are a few 'ammers short Rob, I made a quick count and only got 30 odd handles. Surely you need more!  :ddb: Hope the wall is a strong'n to hold all that lot.  :D
   Organization looks great.
Of necessity, my stuff hangs on the walls too and the big advantage is knowing just where to grab the tool. It helps greatly if you put em back between uses, never on the bench cos then the tool gremlin knocks em orf.
Or, could it be the clutter just hides them?  :scratch: :(
   I do like your posts and resultant output, always worth my time reading.
Thanks for posting,
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Biggles

« Reply #284 on: January 13, 2017, 12:54:14 PM »
looks nice Rob, nice display of tools.  :thumbup:

RobWilson

« Reply #285 on: January 13, 2017, 05:06:03 PM »
Evening Chaps,   :wave:

Cheers for the comments, after many years of storing my hand tools in a large Kennady tool box that took up valuable floor space, I have meters of wall space, but you can't stand a machine on a wall, so a few years back I retired the tool box (sort of) and put up the Bott Perfecto wall boards at the back of the work bench, and never looked back . Its, not the cheapest system, being all steel, but it does work well. An example of cost, the clips, single hooks and long double pegs I used to mount the hammers and 3/8 drive gear came to about £35, still cheap when compared to the cost of a good quality tool box.

Since using the system, I can locate what I need at a glance, when working at the bench as soon as I have used a tool it goes straight back keeping the bench free from clutter, with the tool box, tools would just build up on the bench, I would be raking through the draws looking for the tool I needed, and I don't suffer from that most frustrating of conditions, stuck draw syndrome, when tools get jammed.

Also, clean up is ALLOT quicker, I can see at a glance what is missing. It works well for me.  :coffee:

Tonight's job was to pipe in the compressor, I found a home for my portable compressor between two of mills, serviceable but not ideal, but it will do for the time being. :dremel:

I will tee into here,

Like so,

It's good to have the compressed air back, I also figured out that with a bit more jiggery-pokery,  I will have the room for a blasting cabinet in the workshop, another thing to make.  :dremel:

Take it easy lads, Rob.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 04:30:30 AM by RobWilson »

RobWilson

« Reply #286 on: January 14, 2017, 02:52:27 PM »
Evening Lads,    :wave:

I got to sort out a bit more of the workshop today. I have been shifting the cabinet that I removed from workshop #2  wall to make way for the doorway back and forth since its removal.
So what to do with it, there is no wall space for a double cabinet, But I have this space that a single would fit in.

Cut it in half    :dremel:

Fits like a glove  :D

Well,  I did have to remove the belt cover from the 626 mill, the cover is now defunct and on the scrap pile. Well, I suppose I have made a start on the CNC project.  :lol: :lol:

Cheers Rob 

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #287 on: January 14, 2017, 02:58:48 PM »
Let's hope the belt lasts forever!  :beer:

RobWilson

« Reply #288 on: January 14, 2017, 03:02:17 PM »
Hi Tom

The belts will be OK, they are Willy Wonka everlasting belts   :thumbup:

Rob
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 06:46:37 AM by RobWilson »

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #289 on: January 14, 2017, 03:34:34 PM »
Evening Lads,    :wave:

I got to sort out a bit more of the workshop today. I have been shifting the cabinet that I removed from workshop #2
Cut it in half   :dremel:

Fits like a glove  :D

Well,  I did have to remove the belt cover from the 626 mill, the cover is now defunct and on the scrap pile. Well, I suppose I have made a start on the CNC project.  :lol: :lol:

Cheers Rob

One word.....,

Butcher!!  :lol:

Looks good Rob....

That 626 is going to be sooooooooo good when finished... :drool:

RobWilson

« Reply #290 on: January 14, 2017, 04:06:12 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: Professional butcher if you please,  :)

Aye it will be canny John, when I get it done  :Doh:

Rob

RobWilson

« Reply #291 on: January 15, 2017, 06:54:59 AM »
Morning Chaps,

I am pondering maybe adding a central vacuum system to my workshop, my shop vac is on its last legs and it gets in the way. So do any of you chaps have it installed? 

Rob.

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #292 on: January 15, 2017, 08:58:35 AM »
Rob

A few years ago I cobbled together a system and had a problem with an annoying noise being generated through the ribbed hose, the longer i made the hose the higher the pitch got, enough for me to abandon the project.

Now i used long lengths of flexible hose which i got bulk at an auction, i suspected at the time the problem could be due to the ribs creating cavitation.

So if it were I doing this again I would consider smooth bore tubing with long radius 90 elbows, make sure you install clean outs for blocks and make the joint system quick access.

Thats all I have to offer.

PS. Do you have a limit on shoving so many chattels in relatively small quarters ....  Remember Newton " objects of mass occupying space at the same time"

Anthony.

Offline wheeltapper

• Spixworth Norfolk
« Reply #293 on: January 15, 2017, 10:01:48 AM »
I think Rob's shop is built with Time Lord technology. :D :D

for those who don't watch Dr Who, it's bigger on the inside. :bugeye:

Roy.
I used to be confused, now I just don't know.

Offline Joules

« Reply #294 on: January 15, 2017, 10:12:44 AM »
  Be careful Rob, adding a vacuum to that already dense space could just be enough to induce a singularity.

:smart:
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #295 on: January 15, 2017, 10:20:00 AM »
  Be careful Rob, adding a vacuum to that already dense space could just be enough to induce a singularity.

Just one singularity? More like multiple singularities that when combined could result in a black hole....then everything in the shop is drawn in to it...and well....who knows what ensues.... :bugeye:

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #296 on: January 15, 2017, 10:29:28 AM »

Just one singularity? More like multiple singularities that when combined could result in a black hole....then everything in the shop is drawn in to it...and well....who knows what ensues.... :bugeye:

One singularity!!!! Rob would get a plural of singularities and proceed to make a rack for them then build a cabinet to store them move the light switch to the spare bedroom to make way to install the cabinet, all done by Wenesday.    :med:

Offline Joules

« Reply #297 on: January 15, 2017, 10:59:22 AM »
Perhaps this explains why Rob can get so much done in such a short time.   Space time is compressed in Rob's shop so for us outside, a years work is just a few days.   Then Rob could truly be a timelord as we don't see him aging.  Plus his van seems to be unaffected by gravity...   It's all starting to make sense now.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

RobWilson

« Reply #298 on: January 15, 2017, 02:15:28 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: You lads crack me up  :lol: :lol:

Rob would get a plural of singularities and proceed to make a rack for them

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

Rob

Offline hermetic

« Reply #299 on: January 16, 2017, 03:28:03 PM »
 Hi Rob, I built a very satisfactory centralised Vac system using 37mm (1 1/2")  grey plastic waste pipe and push fit long bends and tees, and an old w&d vac in the outside shed. One outlet on the upstairs landing, and two downstairs, with push in bungs and a remote switch circuit at each outlet to turn the vac on and off. Worked a treat, and is stillworking, although the vac itself got replaced when eventually the magic smoke escaped!
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?