Author Topic: TouchDRO with HF Calipers  (Read 9823 times)

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
TouchDRO with HF Calipers
« on: August 21, 2016, 12:07:00 PM »
Has anyone had sucess getting cheap HF Calipers working with TouchDRO and the Arduino?

I have sucessfully read the HF calipers with my Arduino, now wanting to get it to work with TouchDRO. I found a sketch online that worked. I had to build a level shifter using 2n2222A transistors and resistors.
Yes, I could buy iGaging scales and the 'other' microprocessor, but I don't have the budget for that.

Chuck
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline picclock

Re: TouchDRO with HF Calipers
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 05:21:12 AM »
Hi Chuck

I looked at Yuris toys but could not figure out why you would want to connect to a display via Bluetooth.

If you already have a level shifter circuit and scales working with an Arduino board, might I suggest using a simple 20char x 4 line I2C driven LCD display connected to the Arduino which will allow you to incorporate any functions you might need.

Its one of those things I've never got round to (massive list ...), but would be interested to hear how you get on if you go this route.

Best Regards

picclock
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 12:20:11 PM »
Hi Chuck,

I have no help on this, but would like to learn more... I have a couple of Arduinos here...

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 03:48:29 PM »
Hi Chuck

I looked at Yuris toys but could not figure out why you would want to connect to a display via Bluetooth.

If you already have a level shifter circuit and scales working with an Arduino board, might I suggest using a simple 20char x 4 line I2C driven LCD display connected to the Arduino which will allow you to incorporate any functions you might need.

Its one of those things I've never got round to (massive list ...), but would be interested to hear how you get on if you go this route.

Best Regards

picclock

The display is an Android Tablet or phone running TouchDRO. The Arduino reads the data from the caliper, translates it into data the TouchDRO can use, and sends it to TouchDRO via a Bluetooth module.
My problem is the Android(A cheap one) will connect once and then drops connection. Trying to figure out how to fix the Bluetooth problem, or decide which 'better quality' Android to get.

Brass_Machine, if you want to try it I'll send you the sketch for the Arduino, and a pic of the setup. So far, I have only one caliper hooked up and working. Trying to fix the Bluetooth connection. I do have two more to hook up. This setup will be used on my lathe.

Chuck
Chuck
Chuck in E. TN

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 06:45:37 PM »
Chuck,
I thought I saw some guidance on Yuri's site for resolving bt connectivity issues?
I could be wrong but mebbe worth a shot?

I loaded the sketch onto a nano, powered up a bt module, d/l'd the app and all was good.....but yeah, sometimes they lose connectivity....but mine is abit of a lash up atm( I mean that really) I'd like to make a proper pcb for it all....when I get another roundtuit....
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 06:54:28 PM »
John, I've been through that page several times. No help. I have a terminal program on my PC that connects to the Arduino BT module every time. In fact, I've been running it all day off and on. The Arduino sits here on my desk powered up, BT module blinking away...
Best I can get from the Android is an app I downloaded to fix the Bluetooth function works one time. The Android will connect, and before I can calibrate the scale it drops the connection and won't re-connect until I 'repair' the BT again. It just won't stay repaired.
In fact, I have a terminal app on the Android that will connect to the Arduino BT module, after 'repair', and it's connected now and displaying the caliper data. If I shut it off and start it again, it will not connect until I repair the BT again...Sooooo frustrating.

Chuck
Chuck in E. TN

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 07:13:33 PM »
John and Brass_Machine,
I've soldered wires to the caliper data/voltage pins, and am using a sketch I found at

https://sites.google.com/site/marthalprojects/home/arduino/arduino-reads-digital-caliper

I'm using the calipers battery for now, but plan to build a voltage regulator to replace it soon.
I had to build a logic level shifter using 10k ohm resistors and 2N2222a transistors to get the Arduino to read the caliper. I modified the sketch to send a 0 for the Y and Z axis because I'm only using one caliper at the moment.
I thing the problem I'm having is entirely on the android. It's a cheap Aosd Q88D. Hence, mu original post asking what brand Android folks are using.

Chuck
Chuck in E. TN

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 07:21:19 PM »
The Android I'm using is Lenovo and I bought it Nov 2015 brand new unused from a high street retailer...so its a genuine device....

For bt dropout, half way down this page, there is ome useful info.....

http://www.yuriystoys.com/2013/07/troubleshooting-common-dro-connection.html
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline DavidA

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 07:10:59 AM »
Maybe I'm a bit of a Luddite, But isn't the whole idea of radio linking to an active machine just an accident waiting to happen ?

Surely much safer (and apparently easier) to hard wire such things.

I can imagine the tool post closing in on the chuck .  And the link fails......

Dave.

Offline DavidA

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 07:37:44 AM »
Ignore the above,

Just realised that the aim is to only connect the DRO via wireless,  not axis drives.

Thought it best to leave the post there rather than just delete it.

Dave. :doh:

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 07:51:05 AM »
At this point, I'm convinced that either the Android is faulty, or the version of TouchDRO is faulty. As I have mentioned, after a power cycle of the android or a software repair of the Android Bluetooth, TouchDRO will connect. I set it up last night and left it connected. Verified it was still connected to the Arduino BT this morning. As soon as I went to settings to set CPI for the X axis, it dropped the connection and will not reconnect. Yet my pc, Via TeraTerm happily displays the data from the caliper. Guess I'll save my pennies and get a other Android.

Chuck
Chuck in E. TN

Offline modeldozer

• Valencia, Spain
    • AJ´s Truckmodeling
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 08:17:07 AM »
Hi Chuck,

I had the same problem with bluetooth when i intalled a touchDRO system on my lathe.  At the time I was using a Lenovo tablet.  What I found was that not all the bluetooth profiles are implemented on some tablets and worse not all document whitch profiles are availeble. You need to check whitch one your bluetooth module uses ( mine uses SPP, serial port profile). I ended up getting a Samsung tablet whitch is working fine and have since fitted it to my milling machine as well.
Tha other option would be direct USB connection.

Info on Bluetooth https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/bluetooth-basics

Hope this helps.
Abraham

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 08:45:36 AM »
Thanks for the link, Abraham.

Chuck
Chuck in E. TN