Author Topic: Myford Bed Wiper 3D Printed  (Read 16152 times)

Offline Joules

Myford Bed Wiper 3D Printed
« on: August 22, 2016, 03:13:51 PM »
Something a little different, I saw these for other lathes and wondered if they would be any good.  Answer, make my own and try it.

My felt wiper and the metal cover, that took a ding from a chuck jaw are in a pretty sorry state.  I printed it in white so I can see where the gunk is going, took about 40 mins to print.  A lot more friendly if a jaw kisses it, and my warning is white fuzz stuck to my glasses.  It also has slots for the screws so I can adjust as it wears, printed in PLA, of course   :ddb:
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Myford Bed Wiper 3D Printed
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 03:31:33 PM »
Neat  :thumbup:

Now make them for a Colchester Master 2500 and I'll buy 'em off you  :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 03:32:53 PM »
yes please.. :drool: :thumbup:
very nice sir, and a good idea mine has long ago gone, i just keep a dry brush close by.

Offline Joules

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 03:33:15 PM »
Andrew, give me dimensions and I'll see what I can do.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 07:50:18 AM by Joules »

Offline mexican jon

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 05:22:45 PM »
 :clap: :clap: I'd be interested in some for my myford  :thumbup: that is if it works out as a viable thing  :beer:
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

Offline Joules

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 05:54:08 PM »
If your bed measures around these values ±0.1mm it should be OK.

The price would be (depends where on the planet you are)   Don't forget this replaces the felt and metal cover and is for the Myford Super 7

The other point, I only just made this tonight it hasn't been properly tested, probably better than no felt, time will tell.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 07:49:57 AM by Joules »

Offline chipenter

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 06:03:50 PM »
Poundland do felt for putting on the bottom of stuff to stop scatches , it's 3mm thick self adhesive two peices are 100 X 25 the rest are round , I have these on my south bend oil the from the top , and cleans and oils the vees .
Jeff

Offline Joules

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 06:11:59 PM »
LOL undercut by Poundland    :lol:

Offline PK

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 06:34:08 PM »
So just print them with a pocket to clamp some felt.
I did these on a laser but it's the same principle.
ps, NEVER laser cut felt!

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 03:16:48 AM »

How did you found out that?

Pekka

Offline chipenter

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 03:26:22 AM »
LOL undercut by Poundland    :lol:
What I ment was to put the felt behind your protector to hold the felt , the oil would wash it off .
Jeff

Offline efrench

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 03:32:44 AM »
Should you worry about hot chips melting or embedding in the PLA?

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 04:04:28 AM »
Should you worry about hot chips melting or embedding in the PLA?

Myford owners never use then in anger enough to generate hot chips, even if they allow them to sit on the bed long enough.

Long live Dean, Smith and Grace  :lol:
John Stevenson

Offline Joules

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 04:16:09 AM »
Hot chips no worries, it's the mushy peas that hold the heat.

Good point though, that could well be my down fall.  I could then sell the wipers as pan scrubbers.  :thumbup:

Anyone making cobalt steel cuff links like to test my white chocolate bed wiper ?

Offline PK

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 08:30:59 AM »

How did you found out that?

Pekka
Ever smelt burned hair?
Unsurprisingly, laser cut felt smells like that on a grand scale!
Who knew?

Offline Joules

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 10:41:56 AM »
Good to hear you abandoned the laser cut mittens, made from kittens.    :poke:

Offline PK

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2016, 06:43:45 PM »
Good to hear you abandoned the laser cut mittens, made from kittens.    :poke:
Oh, we still cut cats on the laser.

Don't like cats.....

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2016, 06:54:20 PM »
 Do you use a release agent called "Kitty-Kutt" :lol:
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline hermetic

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 03:06:46 PM »
I bought some of these from ebay, fit really well, but did not seal to the bed, so I super glued some thin felt to the rubbing surfaces..................perfect!
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 03:29:28 PM »
Was that a hermetic seal  :ddb:

.... ok I'll get my hat
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 03:43:31 PM »
I bought some of these from ebay, fit really well, but did not seal to the bed, so I super glued some thin felt to the rubbing surfaces..................perfect!

The Ebay ones leave a lot to be desired.
The seller states the originals are Bakelite when in fact they are rubber. I know this as I have a part set of originals off a 4 year old Colchester Bantam. I say 4 year old as the MKll Bantam didn't come out until 1976 and this one went into, and has stayed in storage since 1980.

Because he can only print plastic he makes out it's the best material for a wiper.
How many cars have you seen with plastic wiper blades ? Lada and Skoda excepted ?
John Stevenson

Offline Joules

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 03:46:12 PM »
Wouldn't work on my Myford, it's imperial.   "Her metric seals" don't fit.

Offline Joules

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 04:00:55 PM »
The PLA wiper works, it pushes swarf out the way, it doesn't scrape the oil off the bed and seems to keep a meniscus present.  It was important to press the wiper down and tighten the two central screws first, then the outer ones.  The PLA is OK fastened direct to the saddle, it wouldn't be easy to print as a thin shell and with felt behind it the PLA wouldn't resist bulging, that in turn would deform the wiper and increase its wear and possibility of splitting, so you are back to metal plate over felt.   LOL if only life was so simple, hot swarf pretty quickly cools and a small point contact on the PLA doesn't actually cause enough melt for it to embed.  Lots more testing to see how it holds up though.

I should probably print and fix brackets for my old BW wire DRO, I could probably make it a more streamlined fit.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2016, 04:45:07 PM »

The Ebay ones leave a lot to be desired.
The seller states the originals are Bakelite when in fact they are rubber. I know this as I have a part set of originals off a 4 year old Colchester Bantam. I say 4 year old as the MKll Bantam didn't come out until 1976 and this one went into, and has stayed in storage since 1980.

Because he can only print plastic he makes out it's the best material for a wiper.
How many cars have you seen with plastic wiper blades ? Lada and Skoda excepted ?

That's the guy who claims in his advert that felt seals damage the lathe bed is it?

Offline hermetic

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 04:00:10 PM »
I agree John, they fit the saddle but not the bed!Funny you mention rubber, I was going to use some wet suit material, I assume neoprene, that my brother has a lot of offcuts from a previous job, but didn't like the idea of the seal picking up a chip and then dragging it backwards and forwards across the bed. Having said that, I am sure felt would do just the same unless if fits tight to the bed rails. Given that my Student is a roundhead from the early sixties, it has remarkably little wear on the bed, and I wanted to keep it that way, so I took the saddle off, replaced all of the ball lubricators, which had long since lost their balls, punched the plugs of compressed swarf out of the oil holes, and generally gave the saddle and apron a good sorting. The difference to the feel of the saddle was amazing. Not difficult to do, but involved, leadscrew and feed shaft off, which meant I had to go in the feed.QC gearbox, noticed the spacer and circlip missing from the leadscrew, and also that someone had been in before me! Found the spacer and the circlip loose in the gearbox bottom, plus another circlip partially jamming the selector gate, ended up taking the front off the qc gearbox to clean it all out, and it is now silky smooth. Went on to change the oil in the head stock, and clean the sight glass, so naturally, having been successful with magnet treasure hunting in the QC/feed box, I dip my magnet into the head stock, and find the original drain plug, still resplendent in Colchester green,(someone has been in here too, tightening the end-float on the spindle bearings)  and another circlip and spacer, which I think is from the feed reverse mechanism. When I move the machines to the other end of the shop, and have a bit more room around the machines i am going in again to replace the rather noisy spindle bearings with another set of Gamets that appear almost brand new. I will investigate the reverse mechanism at the same time, but it appears to work fine, so I wonder if the originals had been "lost" in the oil, and replacements fitted. I try to make all my seals "Hermetic", and being a Yorkshireman, you could also call me Herma-Tight.
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?