Author Topic: Portable milling/grinding machine for machine way reconditioning  (Read 37335 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Portable milling/grinding machine for machine way reconditioning
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2016, 01:09:20 PM »
Pekka, I think Dave is spot on but I'll check absolute size next time I crawl over to the workshop. The bore is 1MT

Just at the moment I'm recovering with a can cans of Old Speckled Hen having been squirting unbelievably expensive vetmeds down lambs throats (£150 for a 1 litre bottle  :bugeye: ) against coccidiosis. They didn't want it to happen and are amazingly agile and fleet of foot.

The later Arrand spindles called themselves 'milling and grinding' spindles. The only difference apparent is a lubrication fitting screwed in the side !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2016, 11:24:09 AM »
Here's a C o C of the spindle for your delight and delectation
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2016, 04:19:51 PM »
Pekka, glad its arrived  :thumbup:

Have a laugh at this ebay listing for an Arrand spindle like yours:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arrand-milling-and-drilling-spindle-for-a-myford-lathe-/272279443631?hash=item3f651e98af:g:sqUAAOSwnNBXZvhU

£250  :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2016, 05:21:01 AM »
Holly crap, does word "Myford" 10x price immediately?

Had a quick look at it. Feels like never used and grease is not gummed up. I was prepared to change the bearings first, most of the greases has self life less than 6 years.

The spindle is that small that I got an idea on how to grind the upright body ways on far back, there is very little space for anything but that seems to do it if rigged bit unorthodox and when using small worn grinding stone.

I have been working lately on front yard. Did last round of leveling and teach my daughter to use plate compactor and how to level crushed rock bed. Even got done first two pallets of concrete concrete paving blocks. It's all downhill now when the base is done.

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2016, 05:46:25 AM »
Oh yes it was brand new when I bought it, and I never got round to using it  :med:

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline j1312v

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2016, 02:20:48 PM »
Hi Pekka,

Just came across a thread in practical machinist that may give you a few more ideas... :coffee:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general-archive/fixing-hardened-ways-77879/

Best,

Joe

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2016, 01:56:03 AM »
Thank you. I glanced it trough and looks like it has some usefull stuff and some pointers on what to watch. Pity he did not go trough it all the DIY route. I would have liked to read more about the last bit on what went on it after regrind.

I'm still using the mill, but it prevents me doing anything accurate. I still have some time, this could be my winter project. I don't want to pull the mill apart before I know what to do on and on which order.

Looks like pretty much all lathe DIY regrinds trust that parts of the ways are not worn and can be used as they are for regrinding.

Pekka