Author Topic: A small wood working project  (Read 7562 times)

Offline smiffy

A small wood working project
« on: September 06, 2016, 09:57:56 AM »
This is the start of the frame for a clock tower . Its 2.5 meters square by 4.5 meters tall and built out of fairly low quality green oak ,
Its all wood that was rejected by the saw mill so was nice and cheap
Because its only rough sawn and  not very square I have marked all the joints using a plumb line and dividers 

Offline jcs0001

Re: A small wood working project
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 09:40:49 PM »
Smiffy

I just had a look at this.  You did loose me at the description of a "clock tower".  What is the purpose of it - a decoration for your property?

I'd be interested in further information and how far you are with it if you have a chance to post.

Thanks,

John.

Offline Eugene

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 04:26:08 AM »
Smiffy,

I love your idea of a "small" project!

My small (yet to be born) project is a cider apple scratter and press; I've recently been given access to a couple of old cider apple trees free and for nuffink. It's too late for me to get weaving for this season, but I could be up and running next year. 

I'm just round the corner from you in Little Hereford near Ludlow; if you could let me know the address of the saw mill you got the timber from, that would be a really big help. Using oak is the most authentic and practical way to go, and green oak best of all.

Which leaves two trees full of cider apples; if anyone in the forum or their mates / family would like them, come and pick them up. I'd guess their would be around two dustbinsful. I'll give you a hand with ladders and such.

Eug

Offline smiffy

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 05:16:51 AM »
The project is to build a full size wooden tower housing a large turret clock and a 8 foot dia clock face complete with chiming on the hour .
The tower will be 10 feet sq and 16 feet high with a pitched roof . Not made much progress but hope to have it up by next spring. Working on the clock at the moment

The wood comes from Whitney    http://www.whitneysawmills.co.uk/  Eugene if you are near Leominster drop in and have a chat I am usually about and the kettle is always on  Mike

Offline smiffy

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 05:45:15 AM »
Some pictures of the clock for the tower

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 06:01:59 AM »
Smiffy,

I love your idea of a "small" project!

My small (yet to be born) project is a cider apple scratter and press; I've recently been given access to a couple of old cider apple trees free and for nuffink. It's too late for me to get weaving for this season, but I could be up and running next year. 

I'm just round the corner from you in Little Hereford near Ludlow; if you could let me know the address of the saw mill you got the timber from, that would be a really big help. Using oak is the most authentic and practical way to go, and green oak best of all.

Which leaves two trees full of cider apples; if anyone in the forum or their mates / family would like them, come and pick them up. I'd guess their would be around two dustbinsful. I'll give you a hand with ladders and such.

Eug

Eugene: but I could be up and running next year. 

If it's anything like the potent Cider my mate makes you'll be flat on your back.
I do like a bit of home brewed Cider....OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline jcs0001

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 07:47:27 PM »
Smiffy

Chiming every hour?  I'll bet your neighbours will be happy  :)  I disable my kookoo clock at night or it's bye bye to sleep.

John.

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 09:18:22 PM »
Hi Eug,

Have a look at our NHC site re: scratters and presses.

See my sig below and search Cider101 and Cider102
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/